[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Exposed DVD, Got it and it's great!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 27 2005, 09:25

YESSSSS I GOT IT! :)
It's absolutely brilliant!! From before 1979 Incantations and Tubular Bells are my favourites and they play them soooo beautiful!
It's really fun watching everybody throwing paper aeroplanes all the time and when Maddy Prior started singing in part 2 of Incantations the hairs raised at the back of my neck! :D She sings so loud and clear!
Also enough fun stuff happening in the middle of TBpart 1. And Maddys' dance at Sailors Hornpipe is great.
Nico Ramsden and Phil Beer seem to be very pleasant characters as well... And when they play Guilty the whole stage changes into a dancefloor...
Pierre Moerlen is such a great drummer (he looks cool, but don't look at his teeth!;)
Have any of you got it yet? Let us know what you think!
THANKS MIKE (AGAIN!;)...

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 27 2005, 11:41

:(  no sign of it on any shops or anything..........
i think im gonna cry

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Oct. 27 2005, 13:04

My dad said that Mike looks like a right little twat when coming onstage for Incantations :laugh: ... with his hands on his back and stupidly gazing at the crowd... haha, this were his words, of course...
I think Mike looks quite cool with these clothes and hair and all :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Splinter Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2005, 02:12

YESSSS!!!

I´ve got it as well. Didn´t have the time to watch the whole show. I wanted to see Guilty and TBpartI.

I wonder why Guilty is in mono, because as encore Guilty is played as well but this time in stereo.

What I saw so far is GREAT!!!. It sounds so good (much, much better then TBpartI on Elements). With all the different instruments (vilolins, trumpets, flutes etc.)

The version of TBpartI on the DVD is also brilliant. It´s about 5 minutes longer then the original and it´s very different from the original. With all the drum parts and the intermission just before The Finale.

I don´t know the whole version of Incantations, but I´m looking forward to watch it.

The DVD really is worth the money. It´s fun to see the excitement on the stage. And the sound quality is also very good.

Can´t wait to get home and play some music!
Profile PM 
ToroAcu Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2005, 17:46

In Spain the DVD Exposed is in 4 November.

One week!!!!  :)
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2005, 21:42

Wow, I didn't realise it was so close to being released. We've ordered it through amazon (I forget which one), so I suppose it will be dispatched soon. This is very good news.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2005, 05:29

I've got some of it on video - I wonder if it starts with Mike playing a few secs of what later became 'Platinum' as the signature tune at the start of the concert - the part with the opening credits?

It'll be great to hear it all in stereo, as I've also got a poor quality bootleg of the Radio 1 concert - I'm glad M.O.N.I.T.O.R. stopped going!!
Profile PM 
theben Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2005, 13:57

Wow,

i'have been loving this album for 17 years now. And often daydreamed of being there. I'm extremely looking forward to see this magic concert!!!
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Nov. 05 2005, 23:34

At last i have it too  :D
This was really the muscial genius concert i ever have seen for a long time now... What a mood they all have... They smile, consentrate, mediate, plays in a incantations way. I must confess, i haven't been a very fan of incantations. But this thought have turned away now! I love it! Amazing how they play incantations. I always hated those "ding dong ding ding sounds-likely-songs" mike have done before. But now i love it. Just look at Maddy Prior sings. This is first time i ever see here. Shes lovely with that special voice and her weird personality. Just when they starts to play the end of incantations part 4, Ode To Cynthia. All that clapping in hands + very orchestal style way to make up a rock concert, a outcome to have really spirit, rhythmical and catchy complex, and mo elements to be exposed perfect  :D

i will watch it again and again!

tb man

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2005, 23:38

My copy is flying through the air to me as I speak, as well as the new cd by Kate Bush - Aeriel.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 01:32

I really hope this appears in stores here in Canada! I need to see this. I've been listening to Exposed lately to psyche myself into it!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 05:49

Got it!
It's a great DVD. The music is great.
The picture quality is good.

A few mínor complaints; the visuals are rather dull. All the musicians are dressed in khaki/brown so you can barely tell them apart. There should be more shots of the musicians we know and love (Moerlen, Frye, Nico Ramsden etc) and too much focus on the (admittedly pretty) girls in the choir. Also I have heard Mike play better guitar.

I found Incantations most interesting. I was impressed by how accurately it's performed (just like on the record!;) and I was impressed by Maddy Priors note-perfect singing on part 2. Musically, this piece is stronger here than on the record!

This could be controversial, but I suspect there are some backing tapes involved in Incantations part 2 (the part where Maddy's singing). The reason I think so is that the drums sound exactly like on the record. It's not just the same drum sound and rhythm patternm, it sounds like the same performance. Also, in the DVD all lights are on Maddy, so we can't see what happens on the rest of the stage.

There are several oportunities to cringe/laugh;

- Mike/Ramsden/Beer Wearing of dark shades during "bluesy" section of TB.
- The choir disco dancing to Guilty. Doesn't look too spontaneous.
- At least 30 Bill Gates look-alikes in the first row of the audience. Was Mike Oldfield an upper-class thing in the 70s? Or did you have to look like that to get into Wembley Conference Center?

Lars T

Overall a great, great DVD!

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Herc Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 17:39

Got the DVD last Friday after pre-ordering from amazon.co.uk. Many of you have probably seen this in VHS form but I hadn't. It's definitely the most interesting live video of Mike I have found so far.

Some of the things I've noticed:
(1) the Exposed double album appears to have been a massive editing job and stitches together the best segments from many shows into one seamless whole. The quality of the result is far better than you'd believe if you'd only seen Wembley. Mike's guitar work varies between 'alright' and 'bad', but doesn't really reach any dizzy heights. Having watched and listened, I think only the start of TB appears on the edited album. The rest was dumped in favour of better performances elsewhere.
(2) Guilty - wtf? The DVD tracklist is marked 'mono' for this track. You'll know why when you hear it...the mix is appalling. Half of the musicians are inaudible. Besides this, it appears to be a very rough and ready version and not very impressive. I suppose the tapes or the recording were messed up somehow. The choir dancing away up the back is hilarious and embarassing to watch.
(3) The Encore is a variation of Guilty, and this time is in stereo with a decent mix. This is the version you're familiar with from the Exposed album. Still sub-par guitar work from Mike here; he's not really concentrating at all!
(4) The trumpet call/answer section (album:Pt1 ~6:25) from Incantations part I is suspiciously different. Two or more trumpets play the call & answer, while Mike watches on, playing nothing. On the album, this has been replaced with a far better trumpet -> guitar version, with Mike 'answering'. Given that the trumpets don't sound the best, did Mike later hack in a guitar here or was the score changed for later shows? Anyone?
(5) Seeing as the start of TBI is used on the live album, I finally understand what went wrong at the start of the groovy TB build section. Mike has to ditch a guitar unexpectedly and change over to a black Gibson SG as backup. Obviously they had no roadies! He nods at the musicians to 'loop' while he swaps over. When the guitar re-emerges (album: TB Pt1 3:00) he has switched over and nods again for the music to advance.
(6) Mike is known to have loathed several of the journalists in the front row for some UK gigs; he's reputed to have brought some of them up on stage to play triangle in a mocking way. During the Wembley gig he behaves himself though and doesn't say anything to the crowd from start to finish. And yes, the front row all look like Bill Gates or Woody Allen.
(7) The intermission is hilarious. Glad they kept it on the disc. Everyone is throwing paper aeroplanes! It's like secondary school when the teacher's out. They end up piled up on stage. Mike throws a few as the end credits roll. Just as Mike is about to come back on, some smartarse shouts "We Want the Osmonds!" maniacally.
(8) Mike is a lot 'calmer' on stage than I expected. Even when things go wrong (and plenty things do go wrong) he seems pretty nonchalant about the whole thing and just keeps going. At the time he was reputed to 'wince' at mistakes and be a bit highly strung during the show. No evidence of it here.
(9) Sally Arnold is interviewed briefly at the very start of Disc 1.
(10) Unsung heroes: Pekka Pohjola for spectacular bass as usual, Pierre & Benoit Moerlen for their vibes & percussion & the keyboard player (Pete Lemer?) who can play some keyboard parts I thought only an arpeggiator could play for Incantations Pt1. All done by hand! Amazing.
(11) David Bedford is the thin older guy who gives Mike a pair of dreadful sunglasses for TBI. Mike is looking back for quite a while trying to get his attention; seems he missed his cue!
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 17:53

Quote (Herc @ Nov. 06 2005, 17:39)
(11) David Bedford is the thin older guy who gives Mike a pair of dreadful sunglasses for TBI. Mike is looking back for quite a while trying to get his attention; seems he missed his cue!

Oh, Ok, I thought that was Phil Beer on guitar.
But he is cool!

And yes, that keyboard guy is unbelievable!! Great! :)
The Moerlen brothers are really good, yes!

I have very little complaints about the DVD, I guess I'm a bit more positive! But I can see what you mean!
I really like Maddy Prior! She's cool! :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
Herc Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2005, 18:02

Phil Beer is the happy hippie to the left of Nico. He hops between dancing with the choir (?), playing bits of guitar and doing some vocals. He seems to be enjoying the show more than most!

I don't want to sound negative about the show; yes, the guitar playing is sub-par but that doesn't in any way detract from the show. It's very interesting; the most important tour Mike ever did. It nearly financially ruined him - but it was worth it. Must have been a spectacle to be there.

Look out for poor Pekka - he hardly gets a look-in, but he's up to the back of the stage on the right. Long black hippie hair, virtuoso bassist. I have Mathematician's Air Display; a quirky and very catchy album of his recorded with Mike several years before the Exposed tour ('77 I think). He's a mysterious figure I'd like to know more about.
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Nov. 07 2005, 02:33

Quote (Herc @ Nov. 06 2005, 18:02)
Look out for poor Pekka - he hardly gets a look-in, but he's up to the back of the stage on the right. Long black hippie hair, virtuoso bassist. I have Mathematician's Air Display

I have that one as well... played it yesterday
It's really beautiful!!! I agree :)

--------------
Profile PM 
LivingForever Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2005, 04:16

Nice DVD! Had to go miles to get a copy but I wanted to have it on Saturday so off we went!

Only watched Incantations pt.1 so far but really, really good.

Interesting that Herc pointed out the trumpet call and response section, I watched that (around the 10 mins mark) and something didn't seem right - although we're watching the two trumpet guys, it seems to me like the sound we hear is not real trumpets - it sounds suspiciously like a synth! Looks to me like it was either overdubbed, or else the keyboard was playing along on the night and it got mixed a lot higher than the real trumpets.

Anyway, otherwise I can't complain about the DVD, it's just amazing that they managed to secure all this footage and release it on DVD (aren't the rights held by the BBC and don't they charge an extortionate amount per minute?)

My only slight gripe would be that sometimes the main angle isn't neccesarily showing what's of most interest at that point. Can't recall where but there was certainly about 20 seconds at one point of the trumpeters getting ready to play, whilst something far more interesting was going on! I think it also took a while to actually show the vocalists during the 'Diana' section.

Still, at least it's not one of those change angle every 3 seconds type affairs, which I think suits the music nicely.

All in all, well worth the money. (I may revise my opinion once I've seen the whole thing!;)

Next year... hmmm, Viareggio 84?! Or maybe 'The Essential' with the complete show.

James

--------------
http://giggingforever.blogspot.co.uk
Profile PM 
Herc Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2005, 18:19

Quote (LivingForever @ Nov. 07 2005, 04:16)
Interesting that Herc pointed out the trumpet call and response section, I watched that (around the 10 mins mark) and something didn't seem right - although we're watching the two trumpet guys, it seems to me like the sound we hear is not real trumpets - it sounds suspiciously like a synth! Looks to me like it was either overdubbed, or else the keyboard was playing along on the night and it got mixed a lot higher than the real trumpets.

James:

I take your point; it could very well be the dodgy stage mix that obscures the trumpets, but what I thought was odd was Mike standing by, playing nothing. That's what seemed so different to me vs the live album. He's definitely playing the 'response' on the album, but not on stage.

We'll probably never know what happened but it's one of two things:
(a) Mike didn't like the sound of this bit and changed the score for later gigs or
(b) Mike didn't like the sound of this bit and tinkered with it during the Phil Newell editing sessions for Exposed (i.e. a guitar response was added in studio)

There is definitely a precedent for something like (b) happening. The Hergest Ridge remix includes plenty of 'new' guitar added in 1976 to the 1974 original. The drop-ins are very subtle and blend right in.

Does anyone have the itinerary for the Exposed tour or know any juicy details about the edit sessions for the live album which could set me straight on this?
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2005, 06:51

Quote (Herc @ Nov. 07 2005, 18:19)
There is definitely a precedent for something like (b) happening. The Hergest Ridge remix includes plenty of 'new' guitar added in 1976 to the 1974 original. The drop-ins are very subtle and blend right in.

I had no idead about that! I thought it was just a re-mix. Where are the new guitar parts? I really have to re-visit the original mix now!

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2005, 07:36

fantastic DVD- really shows off MO's competence as a musician and composer.
It's a shame the DVD did not make the top 20 (according to the UK charts that's the case.) The TB2/3 live DVD has so far been his only DVD to enter the top 20- no surprise there i guess, but it's a shame more prog-rock fans don't go out of their way to get a copy if this as it's fascinating to watch......
Profile PM 
84 replies since Oct. 27 2005, 09:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net