Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Exposed DVD, Got it and it's great!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 22 2005, 18:22

Is that better or worse than being stung by the unregistered bee?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2005, 18:37

I wouldn't sting anybody, I am completely harmless. :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2005, 18:42

One of Tim's friends Bret asked if there were any CDs I wanted to which I replied "Loads". He did put one condition on it that none of the CDs were by Mike. I asked if that included DVDs, so he has agreed to buy me The Exposed DVD  :cool:. Should have Santa bringing me it in my Yule/Christmas stocking, except being in a flat I don't have a chimney for him to climb down.  I'm hoping that I have some positive news on the job front :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Dec. 25 2005, 12:44

I got this DVD for christmas and Im speechless, overwelmed and stunned. Best present! I got some good socks as well but this is even better :O . Merry good times to all!
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Dec. 25 2005, 18:13

I too found Santa had left  Exposed DVD in my stocking as a present. WOW!!! amazing  Love it played it three times today  :)  :D .  My favourite present :D .  

The only thing is seeing the actual film of the concert has made me wish I could've been there.  I need a time machine.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Dec. 27 2005, 22:40

Have to agree with the subtitle of this topic!

I finally could access my copy on the 25th, though it's been hanging 'round the house for weeks (thanks, kids). What fun to have been at the concert!  Bee--it must have been awesome!  Time machines indeed! Galadriel, I am with you (as long as we're not expected to wear stripes! )!  Some random observations:

Mike is sooo focused and serious, particularly during Incantations. Among other things, it is interesting to watch him play and to count, sometimes to himself, other times with his hands for the benefit of others. He seems more relaxed during the TB portion of the show. Smiles, sunglasses. Maybe it was the paper airplanes. :) My oldest daughter asked if they always did that at concerts back then, and I told her that sometimes it was far worse. :D  

Incantations: Overall, I am really enjoying it. The DVD is missing the piano at 12:49 (on the CD) that I love so much, but the way his guitar bridges parts I and II is good compensation. The flutes are awesome. The music seems a bit choppy in a couple places, e.g., around 17:49 (Part I). Re: Mike's guitar playing at 30:30 in Part II--don't remember hearing it that early—will now need to go back and listen to the other versions.  Part III totally rocks--though what is happening at 33:33?  At 48:35/36 during one of my favorite IV sections, either Pierre or Benoit hits a wrong note--glad it was retained!  Lovely to see Pierre alive and percussing--someday I'll be able to watch without feeling such grief for a too-soon departed soul. Loved to watch Mike's fingers near the end of IV.

TB: All those paper airplanes! Glad no one tripped! Between the sight of airplanes strewn all over the stage and those sunglasses on the guitarists, I found myself laughing aloud! Blues Bros stand back! Everyone is so rocking and into the music. Again, wow, the flutes! I've always appreciated the Exposed version of Tubular Bells--it's so different and rocks--but have to admit to missing an MC. Hope if he ever does that section in concert again, he invites someone to MC the instruments. BTW, the way that Guilty provides an intermission before getting on with other tubular components reminds me of the placing of "Man in the Rain" on TBIII. Or, guess that would be vice versa, eh?

Vocals/Choir:  Maddy Prior is practically perfect in every way. Her voice is so fitting for the spirit of Inc--very strong performance. I do not think there is any synching going on. She sings it a bit differently, with the way she enunciates and sustains some of the words  -- most pronounced with the last word, "hea-vens."  I like her arm motions in Part II--at times they actually coincide with American Indian sign language--not sure if by design or just the influence of the lyrics. She does just enough of it to enhance what she  sings without it becoming overpowering  (unlike Pepsi in the Berlin concert, whose motions seem distracting at times). It's great watching her leap off the stage and merrily dance down the aisle during "Sailor's Hornpipe."

Clapping: IMHO one of the funniest moments is the hand clapping during Inc IV. Mike tries so hard to get people to clap properly where they should, and to not clap where they shouldn't. He frantically waves his hands (like he might be signaling an airplane), but it seems there is always someone who doesn't get it. "Nooooooooo---don't clap--not now!!!! You anorak!!!" (No, he didn't say it, but if one could read his mind...) He scans the audience for the culprit(s). Ha ha. Many of the musicians try to help--even Maddy. Our pagan group did pretty well in that regard when I danced to that section last Feb. clanging zils, with the drummers drumming and others clapping. Those who messed up did so only on the first round, even though they had never heard the music. After that, they all "got it." Mike would have been proud. <-:

Guilty, or, I really think I could dance:  Everyone seem to have a lot of fun with Guilty. Way too much fun! The vocalists are a bit hard to hear at times (some were doing more dancing that singing, perhaps! ). I'm not sure I agree with Mike when he said that if he were starting out today, he'd have to learn to dance. Maybe he'd not have to, but it would be good to incorporate dancers. If he actually tours and plays some of L + S, dancers could enhance the overall performance.

Uniforms: Regarding the attire, stripes and flesh-tone, yikes!  I wonder how they decided upon such a uniform for everyone? The color, the pattern. <shudders>  Note to current and future wardrobe planners: Try to go with something that stands up over time, say  20-30, 100 years down the pike. Black and white are always good; (white can be problematic, though). Solids. Go for solids. There will always be aspects that are dated, but if they had worn solid colors (baring lime green or orange :D ), it would have been so much better. Mike's suit doesn't look as dated as the stripes, for example. Actually, he looks very beautiful, hair and all Heh, but no matter what, I can hear it 25 years from now when L + S 2006: the DVD or pod or whatever the format is released: "Grandma....did people really dress like that back then? What kind of dancing is that????" Guess you just have to go for the good music and "are they having fun?" element--both of which are in evidence on Exposed. BTW, I had always envisioned Maddy Prior walking out onto the stage during the "Diana" reprise of part II, dressed in Native American clothing. Guess I based her attire on the back cover of the vinyl. Glad she didn't (no diatribe today...google Philip Deloria's Playing Indian or read the book if you want know why).  Her dress and hair seem timeless, as well (or I just hang out with free spirited people who still dress that way).

Witchcraft: Regarding witchcraft, hmmm.  IMHO, Incantations exudes magic.. Learning that it was somewhat "rescued" by a group of paganfolk who helped Mike with the chant, was very cool. (BTW--if there were any doubt that "Lumen" is also used in the chant--watch one of the singer's lips--definitely, unequivocally "lumen" at the end) . The pagan group wouldn't have merely helped him with the lyrics. When they left him that day or evening, they would have offered him personal blessings and blessings on his work; and possibly, at their next gathering in absentia, as well. Some wouldsay that most things qualify as magic--breathing in fresh air (breathing at all! ), sun rays, looking into an iguana's eyes--seeing the magic and miraculous in everyday happenings. So.......when a group of people come together to perform music--especially something as powerful as Inc or TB--there is indeed deep, profound magic going on. In the cased of Exposed, classical musicians met rock guys. Not sure in 1979 how common that was, but you can hear the concern expressed by some of the classical ones in the interview, who weren't used to playing without music in front of them. And yet, it all came together magically and worked very well. BTW....the circle(s) of singers seem to be a space-saving arrangement in what looked to be a bit crowded stage, in order to get everyone to the mic. Nonetheless such circles are lovely to see and were indeed very fitting.

Well....there is my month's quota! :cool:

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 28 2005, 00:46

Quote (Inkanta @ Dec. 28 2005, 03:40)
BTW....the circle(s) of singers seem to be a space-saving arrangement in what looked to be a bit crowded stage, in order to get everyone to the mic. Nonetheless such circles are lovely to see and were indeed very fitting.

Yes, a technical thing really. It means they can use a pair of omnidirectional microphones (i.e. ones which pick up sound equally from all directions...theoretically speaking, anyway, what happens in practice rather beyond the scope of this topic) and have all of those singers at a fairly close distance to a microphone. If they stood in a line, they'd probably need a mic each to get the same kind of distance. The reason they should be close is to prevent feedback and increase separation between instruments. A normal choir recording would be done with the microphones some distance away, but there are just too many things happening on a rock concert stage to make that practical - they'd pick up  everything else too, and would end up picking up their own sound coming from the on-stage monitors, and would feed back like crazy. So, the circles of singers have a technical reason!
Profile PM 
BlueTape Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2005, 10:54

its cool!

its a 2 disc dvd set
Disc 1
Intro
Incantations Pt. 1 & 2
Incantations Pt. 3 & 4
intermission

Disc 2
Tubular Bells Pt.1
Guilty (mono)
Tubular Bells Pt.2
Encore

Extras
Multi angle view includes main edit, split screen, stage edit and wide shot options

approx time 1 hr 50 (but it says over 7 hours footage across 4 multi angle viewing options

THIS IS MY LATE XMAS PRESENT!!
i love it .. cheers Mike!!

--------------
my music website
www.bluetape.co.uk
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2005, 11:02

Quote (BlueTape @ Dec. 30 2005, 10:54)
its cool!

its a 2 disc dvd set
etc. etc. etc.

Hahaha, didn't you meant to put this in the topic called "Useless Information"???

Only joking!!! Glad you like it!! It's genius, I admit  ;)  :D

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2005, 23:53

Quote (Korgscrew @ Dec. 27 2005, 23:46)
Quote (Inkanta @ Dec. 28 2005, 03:40)
BTW....the circle(s) of singers seem to be a space-saving arrangement in what looked to be a bit crowded stage, in order to get everyone to the mic. Nonetheless such circles are lovely to see and were indeed very fitting.

Yes, a technical thing really. It means they can use a pair of omnidirectional microphones (i.e. ones which pick up sound equally from all directions...theoretically speaking, anyway, what happens in practice rather beyond the scope of this topic) and have all of those singers at a fairly close distance to a microphone. <snip>

I knew there was a simple, Occam's Razor type explanation (or Da Vinci's variation, "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"). :)

BTW...forgot to mention the trumpets. I thought the trumpet player(s) did an excellent job through all pieces, with music and without it.

--------------
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Dec. 31 2005, 11:11

Question:  I see in the store that Exposed is for sale and it says "all regions".  Does that mean I can play it here in the States?

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 31 2005, 11:27

Yes, the one we have for sale here is the Canadian NTSC edition, so you will have no problems at all playing it on a US DVD player.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 31 2005, 11:54

That's what I've read too, Bil. I plan on ordering it within a week from now.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Dec. 31 2005, 14:33

Indeed, mine came from Amazon Marketplace--cdplusdvd.com (orderd in early december--it came from Canada). It says on the back cover, NTSC All Regions. I've played it on two laptop computers and the DVD connected to the living room sound system (which would be the problem, if any of them) and it's been fine. It will play and hope that you enjoy as much as I have! :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Dec. 31 2005, 17:39

Yippee!  I am so excited.  Will order it at once!

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2006, 21:14

Well, it's been a while since I ordered the DVD but it has finally arrived!!  Thanks Olivier.

Having missed out on everything Mike Oldfield as it was actually happening (all but the music), this, of course, was totally new to me.  A few comments, questions, etc.

Mike is wearing a chain around his neck with some sort of medallion.  Anyone know what it is?

His pants are very tight!  Oh my!

The striped shirts are awful.  When I look at the guys, I think of sailors.  And those poor girls.  Those shirts made them look so frumpy and homely.  And watching them jump around without bras was just terrible.   Sorry, I hope Mike didn't make the decision for them to dress like that.  

During the middle part of Incantations Part 1 - I cried my eyes out.  Just incrediblly beautiful.

Don't you think it odd that there were quite a few men in the audience wearing suit coats and ties to a MO concert?

I kept waiting for someone on stage to get poked in the eye with one of the airplanes, especially when they were throwing them in the dark.

What?  No announcer in Tubular Bells?

And speaking of Tubular Bells, you could barely hear them.  They certainly didn't demand your attention as they do on the recording.

First time seeing Maddy Prior.  She's a better singer than she is dancer.  It didn't matter - she was having fun.

Mike doesn't seem to smile much, so it was nice to see him crack a grin several times.  Very nice.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2006, 08:32

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Jan. 26 2006, 21:14)
Those shirts made them look so frumpy and homely.  And watching them jump around without bras was just terrible.   Sorry, I hope Mike didn't make the decision for them to dress like that.  

Surprised they didn't review this one on "The Man Show" !

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2006, 11:36

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Jan. 27 2006, 00:14)
Mike is wearing a chain around his neck with some sort of medallion.  Anyone know what it is?

His pants are very tight!  Oh my!

That chain and medallion I think it's very same one he used to wear on TB III days.

And the pants...the title of that DVD is perfect  ;)

No sign of Exposed DVD in Brazil and also in Argentina...and I want to watch it as soon as possible. To cheer me up a bit,I've got Guilty and TB in full from it on my computer.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2006, 19:38

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Jan. 27 2006, 11:36)
And the pants...the title of that DVD is perfect  ;)

Tati you are too funny!

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2006, 20:05

Hopefully, mine will arrive in tomorrow's mail.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
84 replies since Oct. 27 2005, 09:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net