Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Experiment with Mike's Sound, TBII guitar sound and others< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Caveman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 16 2009, 04:13

Do you mean the one he's seen with on the Exposed DVD that he had modified with the engraved metal front?Never seen it advertised for sale or read anything about it having been sold so i assume he still has it.Lovely looking thing.I'm a sucker for guitars with leaves and nature scenes on them (see the scratchplate)so i'd be very happy to have this one.One of mine has had holly leaves made from sycamore inlaid into the headstock courtesy of a very talented carpenter friend of mine.I must rebuild it!It's still in bits after the refinish job i had done. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: April 16 2009, 06:46

The very one, his favourite in the studio, still in use by the man himself, deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 16 2009, 08:49

Does he still use it?As far as i was aware it was his guitar of choice from around Incantations up to QE2.Then he moved onto Strats and Les Paul Juniors and the old SG Jnr and then moved to the PRS and Strat combination with the occasional use of a Gibson ES335.The L6s is a lovely guitar though and it would be nice to see it again.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: April 17 2009, 04:13

:p mike still has his favourite guitars, the gibsons, prs, sampled strats and of course classical acoustic, deb
Profile PM 
MikeGeorge Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2010, 07:42

Hi Yann,

Here is the setup that I used for Guitar Rig 3

Guitar Rig 3 Setup

The guitar was a Fender Telecaster probably set at the bridge position.

The most influential part is the correct equaliser settings to get that distinctive tone. Hope this helps...
Mike
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2010, 19:02

I love watching the TB3 DVD. Im impressed by Mike's mastery in guitar playing. He played so quickly! I have no hope of ever being good at playing electric guitar lol! Pretty complex pieces to play, so I will simply enjoy watching and studying Mike's technique! Deb
Profile PM 
Yann Kovic Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2010, 02:19

Hi Yann,

Here is the setup that I used for Guitar Rig 3

Guitar Rig 3 Setup

The guitar was a Fender Telecaster probably set at the bridge position.

The most influential part is the correct equaliser settings to get that distinctive tone. Hope this helps...
Mike

Thx very mutch, Mike. I'll try these settings this evening. I've tried some others settings, & get something that sounds like your record, and I can confirm that equalizer are very important to obtain this particular sound... I don't know if Mike (Oldfield!;) has always set his sound himself, but I must recognize that he is very good to set really personnal patches...

Do you have an idea how obtain this curious sound on Blue Salon (TB2)? It' a very curious overdriven sound, it sounds like "velvet" if you know what I mean...

--------------
I like beer, I like cheese, I like the smell of a westerly breeze...

http://www.yannkovic.be/
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2010, 03:50

Are you talking about the first guitar sound or second at 2:10 ?
Profile PM 
Yann Kovic Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2010, 09:29

Are you talking about the first guitar sound or second at 2:10?

About the firsts guitars, overdriven but very softs... There is a similar sound in the maestro game, somewhere with a lot of tunnels and where we must catch litle tubular bells. I like this sound very well, and wanna know how Mike can achieve a so soft, but "clean" sound (what I'm calling a "velvet" sound). When I try to do this, I obtain a loud and heavey sound...

I've tried with my Standard Strat, and with my Ibanez (with PRS humbuckers vintage bass & hfs treeble inside), but I ve never found how to obtain a so soft sound...

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2010, 11:50

;) Maybe this video will help you !

http://www.lastfm.fr/music/Mike+Oldfield/_/Blue+Saloon

edit :

... just after the clap we can see Mike using the switch of a pedal !
Profile PM 
Yann Kovic Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2010, 02:50

Thx but this video don't help... We just see Mike playing a PRS.
And the sound is very different than the CD TB2.
In this vid, he use some chorus and reverb, in clear sound.
:/

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2010, 04:29

;) Yeah of course but can you imagine what pedal he uses when he starts to play ?

Always funny to see how many guys , there , would like to get his guitar sound ...and i'm one of them ! I can ( try with humility ) reproduce one or two of his many sounds but it's always with a lot of effects .

... i don't want to speak about me but just listen the end/ second part ( first is not interesting ) of my track Flower of the desert and please just tell me if maybe it could be similar to Mike's sound . If you think it could be i'll send to you a patch and some settings .

I use a Cort Zenox Z22 Walnut Satin , strings trough body ... really good for sustain ! Two double mics ! No real amps just Podfarm from Line 6 with my computer and an old multieffect from Korg : a Pandora( not Avatar planet ) ToneWorks !

..sorry i'm not a good guitarist , be indulgent with me ! :-)
Profile PM 
Yann Kovic Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2010, 05:52

Were can I get your track? Do you have any web site?

We want to understand the sound of Mike because it's this sound we use to listen... and playing some tracks too!
I'm sure that the different sounds of Mike are very worked sound with a lot of effects, and maybe special material (Roland VG for instance).
And like you says, the sound is different, depending on the "periods" of Mike inspiration. But, you know, there is always something magic in Mike sound. Something very "aerial" (dont know if this word is correct in english, sorry), always very smooth even if distorted... a real secret, indeed!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2010, 19:51

:) @Yann .

Regardes simplement le lien dans ma signature et mon site web en dessous !  ;)

Lîdje , ce n'est pas tres loin de chez moi ! Je suis Ardennais !  :D  ;)
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2010, 03:09

Maybe he doesn't speak French!  :D

Belgium is like Switzerland.....several languages in it!

:D  :D  :D  :D

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Yann Kovic Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2010, 03:54

Je parle le Français, mais j'ai répondu en mp car on est un peu hors sujet!

Tubular Tos tracks are very close to Mike music spirit! Thx, Tubular Tos!

I'll make some tests with Guitar Rig4 and propose to put some configuration files for this software on my web site in the next weeks.
Guitar Rig is very good to experiment Mike Oldfield'sounds because you can put several equaliser and effects without limitation. Into commercial hardware effects there is always a limitation (first compressors, then disto, then delay and so on.)

Thx to Mike Georges: I think you've discovered the secret of one of the several Mike'sounds.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2010, 04:13

:D  No no Yanouch  , Yann lives Liege near German frontier ( Aachen/Aix La Chapelle : Carolus Magnus city )and Holland frontier  (Maastricht) and this is not really far from my home . In fact , i stand between Paris and Liege ; two hours to Paris and the same to Liege . I know a bit this region to have crossed it by truck . There's the Formula 1 Spa Francorchamp circuit . Bastogne and its famous Battle of  Ardennes ! They are French-speakers but also a bit German-speakers in this region . In France we use to say Liege is the most French city in Belgium . And their coffe and waffle are simply fantastic. ... i like this nice region called Wallonie and Belgian Ardennes . There are snow in winter and mountains , not like yours Yanouch but it's nice anyway ! Julius Caesar said : From all the Gaulish peoples , Belgians are the most brave !

Yann ? Did i forgot something ?

Come back tomorrow friends for the next history and geography course :D
Profile PM 
Yann Kovic Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2010, 04:50

Yann ? Did i forgot something ?

No, perfect! But we don't have mountains here, maybe small hills! We've got very good jazzmen too, Liège has always been very active in the musical domain.
We like beer(!;); we like cheese (!;) (we have some very good cheeses, some as good as Swiss made, but not manufactured in my county), we like the smell of the westerly breeze, eeeeh? Sorry, I begin to loose my head  :D  :D
I don't like the rain or the snow, I prefer the south of France...

Ok guy, it's a little bit out of the topic, and I stop here!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2010, 05:06

Quote (Yann Kovic @ Jan. 07 2010, 09:54)
Je parle le Français, mais j'ai répondu en mp car on est un peu hors sujet!

Tubular Tos tracks are very close to Mike music spirit! Thx, Tubular Tos!

I'll make some tests with Guitar Rig4 and propose to put some configuration files for this software on my web site in the next weeks.
Guitar Rig is very good to experiment Mike Oldfield'sounds because you can put several equaliser and effects without limitation. Into commercial hardware effects there is always a limitation (first compressors, then disto, then delay and so on.)

Thx to Mike Georges: I think you've discovered the secret of one of the several Mike'sounds.

:/ Yes it's right you have to respect an order for the effects ..in Podfarm for my example .

Here is a test with my Cort Zenox Z22 Walnut Satin + Korg Pandora Toneworks + Line6 Podfarm amps and my PC ! Hope it's not too awful ; again , i'm not a good guitarist !

A la Oldfield .

on mine the headstock is different , mine looks like the PRS headstocks

Pod farm plugin
Profile PM 
Yann Kovic Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2010, 06:08

Yesn not so bad. Just a little too mutch of delay. To get the correct sound, you have to put a band-pass in first place, tu cut low frequencies and boost some middle freq (it's necessary to experiment a little to obtain something good). Follow if possible the explaination of Mike Georges at the top of this post, but always remember that we use several different guitars, and the sound can be really different each time...
Note: it's only for overdriven sounds. For clear sound, I must experiment a lot...

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
40 replies since Mar. 06 2008, 19:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net