[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Excalibur, a little observation< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
dkaycom Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 22 2004, 09:51

Quote (Holger @ July 22 2004, 11:22)
How quick people are to call anything with rhythmically spoken words "rap", and anything dancy and electronic, "techno"... and anything orchestral "classical" for that matter, and so forth...

yo.....

....and Anne Clark is one of the oldest and most famous female rap-artists for this reason.
:D

Later,

dkay

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
Spinne Offline

Posted: July 25 2004, 12:15

Quote (Holger @ July 20 2004, 18:50)
Another reason why he might not have included it is that Excalibur is a sword and therefor a symbol of warfare, which might not fit in with the "Peace on Earth" theme of the album.

Then Mastermind should have been removed too  ;) IMHO, the gangs, the mafia... they are worse than a sword which is good or bad according in how it is used.

And also, if Excalibur (the sword) was the problem he could have changed the title (as he did with Peace On Earth and Liberation) and modify the lyrics. Some alternatives refering to that period of time could have been The Knight, The Manor or To Protect The Lord, just to mention some.  :cool:
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: July 25 2004, 12:29

Quote (Spinne @ July 25 2004, 12:15)
The Manor

Now that'd have been a nice title  ;)
Profile PM 
afghan Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2004, 14:36

when i heard excalibur,i thought it was good as i did of the rest of the cd but this was m bells i was hearing and not the final cd.when i listend to m bell i was quite dissapointed.i wrote a letter to the m.o fan site and sent them a tape of m bells,they wrote back saying they could understand why it wasnt included because basically it was rubbish,all they wanted to know was where i got the cd from,as they said it must have come from family or friend of mike.anyway i like it.

--------------
may you never run aground or fall into the deep deep sound
Profile PM 
Nemo Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2004, 14:59

I agree that Excalibur fits to Voyager rather than Millennium Bell but the more I heared it the more it recalled me another track from Voyager - The Hero. The idea of both of them is similar - quiet and almost sleepy beggining and elevated ending.
Yet still in my opppinion it doesn`t fit anywhere - maybe Oldfield should make an album dedicated to legends, such as one of king Arthur. Then this track would be perfect.

--------------
Kolysz mnie dzwiekiem, który koi ból
Brzmieniem lekkim, jak oblok plynacy
Po niebie wsród gwiazd jasnych,
Co swoim blaskiem ogarna trwoge
Profile PM WEB 
afghan Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2004, 15:13

Ledgend's thats the track it fits with.and i agree it does evoke thoughts of knights and king arthur .

--------------
may you never run aground or fall into the deep deep sound
Profile PM 
Nemo Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2004, 15:54

Oh - and one thing more when we are talking about TMB - I believe that Oldfield used the synth line from the beginning of The Millenium Bell in track for MusicVR (Joy Ride it was, I think) - in fact when I hear it I find them identical.

--------------
Kolysz mnie dzwiekiem, który koi ból
Brzmieniem lekkim, jak oblok plynacy
Po niebie wsród gwiazd jasnych,
Co swoim blaskiem ogarna trwoge
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 02 2004, 17:36

Quote (Nemo @ Aug. 01 2004, 21:54)
Oh - and one thing more when we are talking about TMB - I believe that Oldfield used the synth line from the beginning of The Millenium Bell in track for MusicVR (Joy Ride it was, I think) - in fact when I hear it I find them identical.

yes it's the same...

but not sure if it was joy ride...but well :)
I heard it somewhere in MVR too :)

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2004, 16:17

As I said in one of my previous post on this topic (in fact in the one in which I talk a bit about each track on the album demo :p ) this tune on TMB unreleased track was lately used on the bat cave sequence on MusicVR 1. This song is used in the mixes done by fans: in Brandon Blume's Tr3s Lunas II is used in the second part of Joy Ride (the first part is taken from the ants sequence); and in Marcus Junglas' Return To The Origin is the song called Bats Flight ;)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 06 2007, 03:25

Quote (Spinne @ July 14 2004, 15:20)
The Doge's Palace is completely instrumental, no chorus and some interesting (IMO) variations on the tune.

Thanks to torbenyj for the link. I noticed "The Doge's Palace" is a bit longer than the album version. I love it. :)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: July 06 2007, 16:40

If there's someone who still doesn't have this, it was upped to the Oldfield tracker some months ago:
http://btt.oldfield.es/torrents-details.php?id=57

If you found it without any seed you can request one using the proper link  :cool:
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: May 16 2010, 15:30

I wonder how these Demos got leaked out anyway...!! ?

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2010, 16:48

Having only recently heard this Early Mix ,what a fascinating listen.
A real pity Excalibur was lifted from the final release what a beautiful piece,  would of been great live too.

It may of been stolen by The Knights who say Ni  :laugh:
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2010, 00:23

Quote (BOOsTER @ Oct. 15 2003, 09:12)
I have a mp3 of daliphant...and also some rarities but dunno about bootlegs...don't have too many I think :)

I've only just noticed this. Do any current members have a copy of this? I'm rather fond of the daliphants.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2010, 08:54

@ nightspore: an official Mike Oldfield piece called "Daliphant" doesn't exist; in fact, Mike never meant the Daliphants to have a piece of music... indeed, he never meant them to be reached in the first place! :D But the truth is that the early demos of the Tr3s Lunas game (i.e. the very short pieces that were online before the proper game was commercialized) went rapidly floating all over the Net with all sorts of different names. The piece known as "Daliphant" is actually either "Alpine Guitar" or "First Steps Real Piano". (I don't remember which one it is, but it's most probably the atmospheric "Alpine Guitar".) Both of them are included in a L+S track called "First Steps",  but I've also got mp3s of the original demos. Let me know if you want any of those... ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2010, 09:05

Quote (Ugo @ Dec. 30 2010, 08:54)
@ nightspore: an official Mike Oldfield piece called "Daliphant" doesn't exist; in fact, Mike never meant the Daliphants to have a piece of music... indeed, he never meant them to be reached in the first place! :D But the truth is that the early demos of the Tr3s Lunas game (i.e. the very short pieces that were online before the proper game was commercialized) went rapidly floating all over the Net with all sorts of different names. The piece known as "Daliphant" is actually either "Alpine Guitar" or "First Steps Real Piano". (I don't remember which one it is, but it's most probably the atmospheric "Alpine Guitar".) Both of them are included in a L+S track called "First Steps",  but I've also got mp3s of the original demos. Let me know if you want any of those... ;)

Thanks, Ugo - as always, you're a fount of information. I thought it was strange that the (theoretically) inaccessible daliphants should have music of their own. If the music is misnamed, and it's part of "First Steps" anyway, I'll leave it at that. But thanks for your offer!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2010, 19:36

Quote (nightspore @ Dec. 30 2010, 15:05)
If the music is misnamed, and it's part of "First Steps" anyway, I'll leave it at that. But thanks for your offer!

I've just listened again to "First Steps" and yes, both pieces are there. The first theme you hear in "First Steps" is an improved version of the "First Steps Real Piano" demo, then, somewhere later within the 10-minute track, you hear a horn-like synthesized guitar - the same sound that was used by Mike for the Handel bit in "Women of Ireland" (i.e. right in the middle). That horn-like melody is what he calls "Alpine Guitar", and most probably what was mistitled "Daliphant".

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2011, 15:29

Quote (Jammer @ July 12 2004, 01:30)
I really like the arpeggiating synth at the beginning of the track. It sounds quite similar to some of the synth sounds on Incantations

Just noticed this myself Very similar to the start of part 2 of Incantations .
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2011, 05:20

Quote (Holger @ July 22 2004, 05:22)
How quick people are to call anything with rhythmically spoken words "rap", and anything dancy and electronic, "techno"... and anything orchestral "classical" for that matter, and so forth...

It is rap - no need to be defensive about it.

Kinda funny, when I first heard MB I thought it an odd track with a beat that would have suited a rap.  Lo and behold when I heard the Saqsay CD, there it was ...
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2011, 09:04

Given the arthurian conversation on the tubular.net 2011 thread, I thought this video might prove inspirational:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZdmp098lSY&feature=related
Profile PM 
41 replies since Oct. 13 2003, 05:33 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net