Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Episode 3< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
familyman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 20 2010, 09:33

Just wondering if Mike still expriments and creates any new worlds in his spare time?

Will we one day perhaps get Music VR Episode 3?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2010, 19:52

I don't think so. Mike's VR experiment, I think, was more than concluded with Tr3s Lunas, and he did Maestro only out of personal enjoyment. But, like everything he does, right now he's treating that period as a phase in his life that he won't go back anymore to. Tr3s Lunas is not TB. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2010, 20:30

I think Ugo's right, although perhaps if there's a huge leap in what can be done technologically he might try again. Presumably he was disappointed by the reaction to TL - but he had only himself to blame. There's far more great music on TL than made it on to the album.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 21 2010, 14:21

It's been interesting to see the fondness that people seem to have for MusicVR recently. I'd certainly love to see a third episode - going back to the roots of using music a bit more but taking advantage of the improvements in hardware for some bigger textures.

When I read the topic title here, my first thought (being a bit stereoscopic 3d obsessed at the moment! ) was - Wayhay, Mike should make MusicVR 3D, in glorious stereovision. I've even just fired up Tres Lunas with my nvidia S3D driver switched on (anaglyph only with my setup). But no luck, I'd forgotten that Tres Lunas was developed with OpenGL and the nvidia driver only works with Direct3D. Oh well!

If he ever does do a MusicVR 3D, I do hope he retrofits (or persuades Colin to retrofit! ) stereo 3D to Tres Lunas. I've just done the trip to the island and then volcano. Wonderful as it is (I'd forgotten just *how* good), in S3D it could be simply astonishing...

Unfortunately, I agree that Mike probably has moved on from his MusicVR phase. Then again, there's always Jake! ;)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2010, 18:57

If MVR3 ever came about, I think it would be Fanny's work. Her recent blogs suggest a re-aquaintence with the games.

Mike moves on, but then he also revisits things to "perfect" them. So who knows?

But MVR was always an example of a "fan work" - it was never as slick as the proffessional stuff. And too small for todays market. I've done my best in the "MYST" online community (aka "URU") to promote the games. And despite a larger than usual number of people in there knowing Mikes music, hardly any know of the games.

Perhaps Mike would be better off working with a serious games house, providing the music. But then we've seen his reaction to working with film producers.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2010, 20:57

Quote (olracUK @ Mar. 22 2010, 18:57)
Perhaps Mike would be better off working with a serious games house, providing the music. But then we've seen his reaction to working with film producers.

How would that work, Carlo? Would he have freedom to specify what the game would be like, or would commercial pressures require (for example) gravitars to be shot or the spaceship to be blown up?

By the way, what happened to your planned Tr3s Lunas session?
Profile PM 
5 replies since Mar. 20 2010, 09:33 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net