Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Emotions, How does Mike's music effect you?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Bradnorman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 29 2012, 15:26

This may have been discussed previously, but here goes anyway! We all know that our appreciation of the arts is subjective, and music is certainly no exception to that. We respond to sound and music in different ways, and what one person likes, another will not.

I would be interested to how Mike’s music effects you emotionally, and which tracks, sections, or songs in particular.

For example, I still find the introduction to Tubular Bells just spine tingling. For the want of better expression, it really gives me the goosebumps!

Then there’s Ommadawn Part 2 and the acoustic guitar section just before the uilleann pipes kick in. I find it so moving that I can’t listen to it without becoming tearful. I think it’s just so beautiful, and yet so full of pain and anguish at the same time. I was once listening to it on my mp3 whilst walking on Bradnor Hill, and it actually made me cry (much to my embarrassment). Well…men aren’t supposed to do that are they?

‘Out of Mind’ from the ‘Guitars’ album gets me all ‘fired up’ because it rocks!

‘The Tempest’ and ‘Aurora’ from MOTS get my heart pumping because I find them exhilarating and climactic.

So come on Tubularians, tell all! Which of Mike’s many compositions does it for you and how?
;)

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 'That I was used to drive  
And hear the harness jingle  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2012, 17:23

I'm always very moved by the whole of Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn. Listening to those albums is a bit like re-visiting childhood. It's that mix of amazement and fear, where the world is unexplored, hard to understand, magically beautiful but potentially dangerous. The music has that, and part of me is still like that. Listening to it brings both sadness and comfort at the same time.
Incantations is a different beast. It makes me feel confident and happy and it's the MO album that I listen to the most. But it does not have the same range of emotions.

Five Miles Out (the track) can bring me to tears. And it's about an aeroplane! :-/ It's just such a good arrangement and composition. Unashamedly dramatic and bombastic without sounding.....gay?  :p

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2012, 14:03

I agree with you about ‘Hergest’ and ‘Ommadawn‘. I think that’s probably why they have such a profound effect on me too. Maybe it’s also because they reflect Mike’s fragile state of mind when he wrote them. I don’t know....?

I hadn’t considered ‘Incantations’, but - yeah - I do find it quite optimistic and uplifting, with a touch of innocence perhaps? Definitely an ’upper’ rather than a downer’!

I’m not sure about ‘Five Miles Out’. Maybe I should re-visit it?

Thanks for posting Lars.

Come on the rest of you. Bare your souls, and tell me all!!! :)

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2012, 16:01

....His music makes me fly away ! and it's always here for me when i'm so sad ... in my heart and my mind !

...just to speak about that i want to cry ...

..this is like this since i was twelve ....

.. "It takes me to the guts" .... (don't know if i can say like this in English )

... funny you've posted that because i need his music these times ...
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2012, 13:29

I know exactly what you mean! Thanks for posting.   :)

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
4 replies since Jan. 29 2012, 15:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net