Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Elements DVD< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Blue Dolphin Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 02 2004, 20:10

Never heard about this other version of To France,only the one in the german studios...more details on that?

Well, it's another To France videoclip with Mike, Maggie, Phil Spalding and Pierre Moerlen (!! yes, strange considering the fact that Simon Philips was touring with Mike at the time) in a studio with lights flickering and an audience.

I've got a video here on my computer called "La semana de... (40 TV)" which is from the Spanish TV, and I guess a special about Mike because they play various video clips of him. Anyway, they also play that particular To France clip I'm talking about. I'm still dissapointed Virgin chose for that one because the colours aren't really pretty.

As for the sound fluctuations: I've experienced this on my external dvd player at my TV. I didn't use a surround system, only the stereo speakers of the TV itself.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 03 2004, 05:47

Quote (Guest @ Dec. 02 2004, 13:27)
^^Korgscrew. Is there anyway of turning that compression off, assuming that's what's causing the problem? Kinda bugs me that I can't listen to it without those horrible effects spoiling things  :(

Possibly - you'd have to check the manual/help for whatever player/software you're using. My hardware DVD player allows it to be turned off, the software one doesn't. A software one which does, actually, is the open source player VLC. It's not perfect, but playing Dolby sountracks without compressing them is something it does do.

If you only get the problem with one player, than I'd say that the compression is likely to be the cause. It depends on the exact nature of the fluctuations though - the telltale sign of it being the compressor that's responsible is when the levels of everything in the mix suddenly drop when something loud comes in (as I remember, Tubular Bells does that when the bass comes in). The idea of it is to keep the level constant, but it has the effect of someone suddenly turning down the volume control at a loud point (instead of letting it get louder there like it's meant to).

I'll investigate this a bit over the weekend, if I get a chance.
Profile PM 
MELOMANIAC
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 03 2004, 06:44

According to what I have read above, it must not exist a proper videoclip for To France. I haven´t got the dvd yet, but I think I have both versions on video, the german one and the spanish one, and  I suppose both of them are playbacks for tv programs, at least, if I am not mistaken about the one in spanisn tv ( I repeat I didn´t see the dvd yet), this is really a playback for a tv program, I remember I saw it the day it was broadcasted originally.
ian Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2004, 05:42

Mine arrived earlier this week but, as it's a Christmas present from my wife, I am not allowed to have it yet!!!!

If anyone remembers Janet Arnold who used to run the Mike Oldfield Fan club (I still have the badge), I went to her house back in 1985 and she played me a video with all Mike's videos (Trcks of Light, To France, etc etc) that were never released.As she had good contacts with Mike she tried to push to get them released but nothing happened.It has taken almost 20 years for me to be able to see them again.I can't wait though I have the Wind Chimes, Space Movie and Elements on VHS.I also have the making of Blue Peter which I taped back in 1982 when it was aired on BBC1.
I got it for £11.99 from DVD Popcorn http://www.dvdpopcorn.com/FindDVDDetails.asp?ProductID=52119
Also, if you use this DVD/CD search engine, it will bring back the cheapest store selling at the time.An essentiel web tool for me as its saved me ££££££££s. http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/

Hope this helps some of you out there from not being ripped off.

Ian.

:D
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2004, 20:20

I've been already ripped off....  :/ Here in the netherlands everything is so expensive!

Janet Arnold? Yes I remember! Didn't she used to have a website like 3-4 years ago? What happened to her and the website?

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Crestfallens
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 06 2004, 05:13

Is there any news about "Easter eggs" in the DVD? Since in some old tracklist there were two versions of the "Innocent" video (you know, animated & non-animated versions), I'm kind of aware of easter eggs ... maybe they'd included this and "To france" as hidden tracks ...
blacksheepUSA Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2004, 20:08

Anybody from the States who is just salivating to get their copy of the new Mike Oldfield DVD can order it from the Amazon.ca site and have it shipped internationally.  The grand total for the new DVD and standard international shipping comes to $28.87 Canadian.  The DVD from the Canadian site is region I, so it will play in American DVD players. :cool:
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2004, 01:17

Easter Eggs???????????
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2004, 03:35

'Easter Eggs' is a name for hidden features on a DVD: in this case songs that are on the DVD but aren't on the tracklisting. I have no idea how the name came about.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2004, 05:55

Quote (raven4x4x @ Dec. 07 2004, 09:35)
'Easter Eggs' is a name for hidden features on a DVD: in this case songs that are on the DVD but aren't on the tracklisting. I have no idea how the name came about.

IIRC it was originally used for 'hidden features' in some software proucts, originating from the habit of hiding  (chocolate-)eggs for the kids at easter.
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2004, 08:23

Thanks, Sheep! Looks like that is what I will be doing.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Jérôme
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 08 2004, 15:25

I do agree about the choice of the videos of TO FRANCE and INNOCENT. The videos in my memory, at the time they could be seen on TV in France, were much better : with costums for TO FRANCE and animated for INNOCENT.

But the most surprising - and disappointing - thing for me is the EARTH MOVING video. Can anybody explain to me the link between the video itself and the lyrics of the song ?! I like very much this love song (it is indeed a love song, no ?), and when I see the subject of the images of the video... I don't understand. And it is awful ! How could they think promote the song with such a video ?

Well, except that, sure this DVD is a very good surprise, and compared to my VHS, the quality of the WIND CHIMES' videos is wonderful. However, except MAGIC TOUCH or ISLANDS, they seem quite a lot old-fashioned...
torbenyj Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2004, 17:28

Hi
Who is the old man in magic touch - is it mikes father???

TYJ
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2004, 22:29

Quote (torbenyj @ Dec. 08 2004, 23:28)
Hi
Who is the old man in magic touch - is it mikes father???

TYJ

Nope, just an actor I guess

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2004, 09:17

Well I finaly got my Elements DVD through the post from Play.com today. I've been so out of touch with all things Oldfield recently that its taken me this long to get it. The TB full length live clip has to easily be the highlight for me, I've never soon the whole thing before and just how cool does Mike look through out the whole thing? Excelent stuff.

As for the videos. Well they sure don't make them like that anymore! Some may say thankfully, but they do a have a kind of naive charm about them, especialy the early one's. God Heavens Open is beyond awful though.
Its weird because although I've got the Wind Chimes video I haven't watched it in about 10 years probably. Seeing all those old videos again really brought back memories of a time when I really was obsessed with all things MO. I find it quite hard not to be cynical about some of it now even though I know its wrong to be.

Here's some observations about the videos for old times sake: Anita Hegerland - what an 80's babe she was, I fantasised about her when I was 16 and I'm not sure things are any different now.

What is Mike's hair style trying to do in the Earth Moving video? And for that matter trying to do in the one for Heavens Open, I never realised he had such a bad mullet circa 1991.

How awsome is the guitar solo in Shine? It may be a very silly song but is that guitar solo alone better than all the music he's written between 1996 and now? Possibly. The same could be said for the Pictures in the Dark solo, another corker.

I'd never seen the Space Movie before and I can't say it does much for me. Incantations isn't a piece of music I'd readily associate with space. They could have done something better with it I think.

The actual video for the Wind Chimes reminds me of some of the graphics used in MVR. Mike obviuosly has a thing for pointy star shaped computer graphics flying around landscapes.  

Its a shame they couldn't have got Mike to do an up to date interview. I know he's openly distanced himself from a lot of his videos but a lot of the music is still good. Its a shame they fade out that bit when he's sitting playing the acoustic guitar, I always liked that tune he plays on the original Elements video.

All in all though I agree with the guy from Dark Star who said it re-ignited his interest in Mike. It certainly reminds me of a time when I genuinely cared about and loved all his music. Though watching those video's my feelings for him today may be summed up by the change in him between the 1976 performance of TB, how cool he looked, what an amzing piece of music that is. And the video for Heavens Open, how utterly dissinterested and uncool he looks and how bad (comparatively) a piece of music it is. It's a shame he changed so much.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2004, 19:30

Quote (TOBY @ Dec. 29 2004, 21:17)
And the video for Heavens Open, how utterly dissinterested and uncool he looks and how bad (comparatively) a piece of music it is.

His overacting is quite funny in that video. I wouldn't say however that it's a bad piece of music. The album version of Heaven's Open is without doubt my favourite of all Mike's songs, but this extended version loses quite a lot of the pure joy and energy of the song.

Of course, it's a great DVD. I'd forgotten just how good Pictures in the Dark is. OK, it's a total 80s overblown mess of a song, but it's almost like a celebration of that. Certainly enjoyable and very catchy.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2005, 10:46

I've been enjoying the Elements DVD.  Some personal highlights.....

1) Great version of TB1 that opens the disc - Mike looks so relaxed as he sits there alternating between bass, acoustic gtr and keys and directing proceedings.

2) In Dulci Jubilo - I remember this one from first time round, and in many ways I think of it as the definitive MO video and the perfect way to present his instrumentals visually.  I do notice that Mr Penning doesn't geta head shot though which suggests that all the instruments are played by Mike - very naughty that!

3) Portsmouth - I do like those lady dancers.  I think I'd have payed them more attention than Mike does.... ;)

4) William Tell - I'm not such a fan of the record, but I think this video is hilarious.  I especially like the way that the Mike playing the glockenspiel slopes in half way through smoking a ciggie.  Like In Dulci Jubilo, this was another inspired way to present Mike.

5) The Wind Chimes - I'd never even heard this before - I can't believe you guys don't talk about this track more often - I was very impressed....I could hear foreshadows of Amarok and Tubular Bells II in this piece.

6) Flying Start - What a great song!  I love the sitar sounding guitar intro and the the singer is great - who is he?  The video is a blast - Mike and the singer at the cafe table are really funny.  This is my favourite on the whole DVD.

I'm so glad I heard about this DVD from you guys - I'm gonna play it lots.

Jules

PS  Happy New Year everybody!!

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2005, 11:30

Quote (familyjules @ Jan. 01 2005, 15:46)
The Wind Chimes - I'd never even heard this before - I can't believe you guys don't talk about this track more often - I was very impressed....I could hear foreshadows of Amarok and Tubular Bells II in this piece.

There was some heated discussion about Wind Chimes recently, though I can't remember which thread it was!

But you're right to pick it out for attention, Jules - it's one of his masterpieces.

As for the video - it looks dated now, but as Maria perceptively pointed out somewhere (I think in the MVR Club Forum, or maybe at Oldfield.info), there are many images in it that prefigure MVR. In fact, I'd say that the Wind Chimes video was 'trying' to be something that only found its fulfilment in MVR.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2005, 12:39

Quote (familyjules @ Jan. 01 2005, 16:46)
6) Flying Start - What a great song!  I love the sitar sounding guitar intro and the the singer is great - who is he?

None other than Kevin Ayers, in whose band, Kevin Ayers and the Whole World, Mike played prior to the release of Tubular Bells. I believe he also appears in the TB performance that is on the DVD.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2005, 11:19

Quote (Holger @ Jan. 01 2005, 12:39)
Quote (familyjules @ Jan. 01 2005, 16:46)
6) Flying Start - What a great song!  I love the sitar sounding guitar intro and the the singer is great - who is he?

None other than Kevin Ayers

Wow - you know I had thought it might be Kevin, but then I figured I'd surely have heard about Kevin and Mike teaming up again, so I figured it had to be someone else.  Kevin does a great job on a great song - and his performance in the video is really cool too.  Shame Mike didn't have Kevin do more songs for that project.....and not used the awful Bonnie Tyler at all!  :(

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
47 replies since Nov. 28 2004, 16:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net