Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Elements DVD - First Impressions, OK, I got it.. ;-)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
HRFanUSA Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 08 2009, 10:33

I purchased this DVD from Amazon last fall and enjoyed watching it then. After all the excitement of getting back into MO again the past few months, I put the DVD on today and took the time to sit and seriously watch it. My first impression is the same as it was when I received the DVD - WOW WOW WOW!

I can't understand why people are so critical of everything, considering the sheer amount of videos included on this DVD. I personally LOVE to see Mike as he evolves during the years covered on the DVD, especially on Blue Peter. Yeah, some of the videos look dated but heck, they are! It's unfair to apply our being spoiled by today's technology to the past, and I kind of find it neat that some of the videos look so crude. (Remember the early MTV videos?) In all honesty, I'm truly surprised Mike made this many videos and I'm quite happy to have them!

This DVD is wonderful, IMHO, and I consider it a terrific addition to my MO collection. As a fan since 1973 (when I was 13 years old!;) I knew I had discovered a unique and extremely talented new musician. My opinion hasn't changed over the many years and the fact I'm still so moved by MIke's music is a real blessing, if not a refuge, in these difficult times.

In a nutshell, I can't imagine getting more for my money than what's contained on the Elements DVD. Kudos to Virgin for finally doing something RIGHT!

Harry
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 08 2009, 11:07

It's a pretty good DVD i have top agree.There's stuff on there that i never even knew existed.The early stuff like Portsmouth and The William Tell Overture were new to me.The inclusion of The Wind Chimes,a bit of The Space Movie and the whole of the Second House performance of TB part 1 are also very cool.Much better than the VHS version from 94.Thank god for DVD. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
ossieboy Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2009, 09:44

Hi,

I'v had the elements dvd for some time, and one thing that bothers me is the difference in sound level on a lot of the videos (most, actually). On Pictures in the Dark and Five Miles Out, for example,  it is very annoying.

Is this a known problem with the elements dvd, or could it be a problem with my copy?  I'm sorry if this has been adressed before, I made a search, but couldn't find a good answer to this question.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2009, 09:49

I've had a copy pretty much since it came out and i can't say i've ever noticed it.I'd say it's likely to be a fault with your copy.

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2009, 13:45

Hi guys! I could not think of a GD thing to say about Elements except..................

A chemical element is a pure chemical substance consisting of one type of atom distinguished by its atomic number, which is the number of protons in its nucleus. The term is also used to refer to a pure chemical substance composed of atoms with the same number of protons. Common examples of elements are iron, copper, silver, gold, hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen. In total, 117 elements have been observed as of 2008, of which 94 occur naturally on Earth. 80 elements have stable isotopes, namely all elements with atomic numbers 1 to 82, except elements 43 and 61 (technetium and promethium). Elements with atomic numbers 83 or higher (bismuth and above) are inherently unstable, and undergo radioactive decay. The elements from atomic number 83 to 94 have no stable nuclei, but are nevertheless found in nature, either surviving as remnants of the primordial stellar nucleosynthesis which produced the elements in the solar system, or else produced as short-lived daughter-isotopes through the natural decay of uranium and thorium.

All chemical matter consists of these elements. New elements of higher atomic number are discovered from time to time, as products of artificial nuclear reactions.

Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2009, 19:48

Adding to the above, I may say that "there's antimony, arsenic, aluminum, selenium and hydrogen and oxygen and nitrogen and rhenium and nickel, neodymium, neptunium, germanium and iron, americium, ruthenium, uranium, wuropium, zirconium, lutetium, vanadium and lanthanum and osmium and astatine and radium and gold and protactinium and indium and gallium and iodine and thorium and thulium and thallium..." and I shall leave the rest to Tom Lehrer. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2009, 09:47

Quote (Scatterplot @ Sep. 08 2009, 13:45)
The elements from atomic number 83 to 94 have no stable nuclei, but are nevertheless found in nature, either surviving as remnants of the primordial stellar nucleosynthesis which produced the elements in the solar system, or else produced as short-lived daughter-isotopes through the natural decay of uranium and thorium.

It's amusing to realise that the age-old dream of the alchemists, turning lead into gold, can actually be produced by means of nuclear (as opposed to chemical) reactions - the reactions are far costlier to produce than the amount of gold you end up with, unfortunately!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2009, 09:52

Oh if only the alchemists had a nuclear reactor.Ever read any Terry Pratchett?The Guild would love you for this! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2009, 22:11

Can someone tell me where I can get a copy of this DVD? Not sure I can get it here in Australia. Thanks, Deb
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Nov. 17 2009, 04:18

You could try ezydvd.com.au.

:D
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2009, 05:41

Thanks Man In the Rain will check that site out. Cheers, Deb
Profile PM 
50 replies since Nov. 29 2004, 06:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net