Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Edit?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 15 2001, 19:12

Hi ev'ryone. Maybe this should go in my Mistakes & Strange Things topic, or maybe even in Tub.Tech, but since it is related to Amarok I put it here. smile

I think I found a studio edit (i.e. done some time after the recording) between the first proper Fast Riff (not the intro) and Lion, i.e. at 19'58'' on the Amarok Player. Some seconds before that, the acoustic (12-string?) guitar playing the riff goes into a repetitive 3-note figure, which, like the TB piano theme, could easily be made to run ad infinitum, and the only way to conclude it (if one does not want to simply stop it completely) is to transform it into something else. But the transition between the Fast Riff and Lion seems to me like the only point in Amarok where the Fast Riff does not lead to anything smile and thus Mike is forced to stop it to enter into the next section... only that he does NOT stop playing it... smile To my (cloth?) ears, at 19'58'' it sounds like the acoustic guitar track has been edited, i.e. cut... with the rising cymbal sound partly masking this edit. [Who did this cut, Mike or someone else, is another matter, one that I'm frankly not interested in. smile]

What do you think about this? Is there really a studio edit in that point, or it's just my imagination? smile wink

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 16 2001, 15:39

Having it stop is a way of creating a transition...there are only so many ways you can do it. A cut was quite appropriate there.
It's a very abrupt stop, but not necssarily an edit (that could depend on your definition of an edit, though)...I have no way of knowing what was done there, really - he may have stopped playing exactly at that point, and then the end cut very tightly, or he could have kept playing...it will sound the same, if it's done cleanly (which it is there).
Anyway, it's far more likely that it's done by muting the channel rather than editing. There are example of it all over the place. Some in Amarok, which I've found while listening to it are...
Around 02:09 - the same thing happens, the playing stops before a new section comes in.

20:34 - the little bit of guitar that comes in here could have been dropped into in the middle of - both the beginning and the end are quite sudden.

I think debating over this too much could get a bit silly, as it's quite a standard mix technique to mute and unmute things to get them to start and stop abruptly. It's done for effect, to get a clean ending to things; it's not natural sounding, but then modern production rarely is (in fact, it could be argued that the very fact that the very recording process itself is unnatural sounding, and that the best we can do is try and create an impression of the 'real' sound of what we're recording...but that's another discussion altogether...).
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2001, 17:27

Thanx. wink
Seems like I was mis-using the word 'Edit'. smile

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 01 2002, 04:09

It is a bit abrupt, isn't it. You wouldn't notice it if you were just listening. But yeah, it does sort of sound like an edit.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
3 replies since Nov. 15 2001, 19:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net