Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Earth Moving Deluxe, An Ultimate Edition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
dazzler Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 23 2009, 17:24

EARTH MOVING is my least favourite Virgin album.
I wondered how an ultimate rerelease of that album would look like.

Which bonus tracks should be on it?
Should we include lyrics, liner notes and some nice photographs?

TRACKLIST

Holy
Hostage
Far Country
Innocent
Runaway Son
See the Light
Earth Moving
Blue Night
Nothing But
Bridge to Paradise

Holy (hard and holy mix)
Innocent (12" mix)
Earth Moving (disco mix)
Holy (holy groove instrumental)

I never understood the nonsense of crediting
Nothing But / Bridge to Paradise as one individual track.
The German single release of Holy (titled One Glance is Holy)
has four different mixes of the album opener.
The instrumental version is really ... groovy.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 04:27

I think someone would have to do some serious digging to persuade me into buying this album again.Frankly imo they`d be better off just digging a great big hole in fact and chucking it in.."Earth Moving" put to good use...
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 14:05

Quote (Dirk Star @ June 24 2009, 04:27)
I think someone would have to do some serious digging to persuade me into buying this album again.Frankly imo they`d be better off just digging a great big hole in fact and chucking it in.."Earth Moving" put to good use...

my thoughts exactly :D
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: July 16 2009, 14:37

Feeling optimistic, I'm playing Earth Moving, a CD I bought in the "cut out" section of my local record store for less than $5.

I have to say, it's not terrible. "Innocent" really moves me and sounds wonderful, especially after watching the video on the "Elements" DVD...

All I can say is this is yet another link in the MO chain and I respect that. I'm glad I picked it up years ago even though it's not one of his CDs I've played a lot during the years... I admit at this point I'm going to give this album a little more attention.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 17 2009, 13:35

Not my favorite album ever, and hearing those pointless remixes again is not a mouthwatering prospect is it?
I could see a point in having a snippet of the amarok-guitar-riff-thing that Mike did on a TV show around the time of EM, just to put this album in a context; that Mike was working on something totally different in parrallell with EM.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 17 2009, 20:02

Quote (Dirk Star @ June 24 2009, 04:27)

Mr and Mrs Spank are watching you, Dirk! I'm quite fond of Earth Moving;it's a silly album, but I quite enjoy it. "Runaway Son" is my favourite, followed by "Holy", "Innocent", and "Far Country" (it would be vastly improved with a different singer and singing style tho';).
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Oct. 05 2009, 05:47

The FAQ suggests there is a version of Far Country sung by Fish - that could be interesting to hear on a deluxe release!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2009, 12:32

My question is: if Earth Moving is your "least favourite" album, why do you give a shite? Nobody ever told me what shite means. But I'm interested. Why. Why. I hated it. Bought it on cassette when it was released. So commercial. I asked a producer freind, "why are all the vocals by male tenors?" His reply: "They are easier to record". My thinking was, "OK, you don't need a $700 microphone to record their vocals". Now, in 2009(and in the last few years) male vocals seem to be dominated by baritones(all trying to sound alike). Again.....why, why? Rock.....now like metal, always has to have that nasal baritone voice.......much in the same way country does from decades past. Are the genres merging? I've noticed country has become "harder" in the last few years. Leaning towards "Molly Hatchet".....but still country. Is the diversification of cultures leading to one sound? I'm testy today. Don't ask me why.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2009, 13:30

Earth Moving was kind of like the Michael Bolton/Jon Bon Jovi era of singing wasn`t it.You had to sound like you were half way to having a hernia or something.And then scrunch up your face,shake your big mane of hair all over the place and generaly look like you were ejaculating into your own pants all at the same time.Groupies had it easy back in those days,but the dry cleaners not so much I guess.

Nightspore made the point here earlier about if the vocals/singing style sounded different etc,and I think I would go along with that to a degree.Also the production as well could`ve been way simpler,but again it was pretty much of the time I suppose.All that said I really don`t think the songs were of the same qualilty of the ones Mike wrote for the Discovery album.Maybe lyricaly they were kind of more interesting perhaps,but the actual structuring of the songs themselves seemed to go out the window for me.You listen to songs like Moonlight Shadow or To France for instance and they have a kind of great natural flow to them,without being completely conventional or "writing by numbers" if you like.Earth Moving on the other hand sounds to me like Mike was trying to do exactly that,and consequently a lot of the tracks sound clunky and awkward somehow.I just think by the time Mike got round to putting out this album the kind of early novelty of him trying to write songs had maybe wore off for him.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2009, 06:25

Quote (Dirk Star @ Oct. 05 2009, 13:30)
Nightspore made the point here earlier about if the vocals/singing style sounded different etc,and I think I would go along with that to a degree.Also the production as well could`ve been way simpler,but again it was pretty much of the time I suppose.All that said I really don`t think the songs were of the same qualilty of the ones Mike wrote for the Discovery album.Maybe lyricaly they were kind of more interesting perhaps,but the actual structuring of the songs themselves seemed to go out the window for me.You listen to songs like Moonlight Shadow or To France for instance and they have a kind of great natural flow to them,without being completely conventional or "writing by numbers" if you like.Earth Moving on the other hand sounds to me like Mike was trying to do exactly that,and consequently a lot of the tracks sound clunky and awkward somehow.I just think by the time Mike got round to putting out this album the kind of early novelty of him trying to write songs had maybe wore off for him.

Just goes to show that one man's meat.... etc. I don't really like any of the Discovery songs, but I like half of those on Earth Moving: "Holy", "Runaway Son", "Innocent", and "Far Country". I get the impression MO was feeling his way on Discovery, but on Earth Moving he was thoroughly enjoying himself playing the commercial pop star. And, why not!
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Oct. 06 2009, 06:50

Quote (Scatterplot @ Oct. 05 2009, 17:32)
My question is: if Earth Moving is your "least favourite" album, why do you give a shite? Nobody ever told me what shite means. But I'm interested. Why. Why. ......... I'm testy today. Don't ask me why.

That's a lot of "why's" ;)

I can't speak for dazzler (it isn't my "least favourite", it's about halfway down my list) but I remember remarking once about TMB that even though it was my least favourite MO album that still made it more enjoyable for me than loads of other albums out there. Like having a bag of sweets where you like them all but could still pick out the strawberry ones as being your favourites and the orange ones as being your least favourite.....

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
DelfĂ­n Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2010, 12:12

My least favourite is 'Heaven's Open' (still love the title track and 'Balcony';) followed by 'Millennium bell', 'Guitars' and maybe 'Earth Moving'. Having said that, I still love these albums as Mike has not a clue of doing something bad in music.

Couldn't we relate a bit of 'Pictures' into this one?? No, being that even earlier than 'Islands'.

What about a backing tracks' release???

That would be brilliant, and I think it's a very suitable album for that.

Wasn't there any discarded material we could discover after the years???

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
pilotfish Offline

Posted: July 25 2012, 20:46

some things to take into account :

from 1981 to 1984 Mike released one album per year,
he did touring,changed personnel from a full band and self production (Five miles out) to a duet with simon phillips to record and produce the album (Discovery)

he recorded Islands with many producers and guest vocalists
(after crises and discovery,they probably thought there was money to make if another Moonlight Shadow could be produced)
and still does The Wind Chimes,probably to remember where he came from and do what he wanted to do

now imagine an executive from Virgin records back in 1988 talking to Mike :

"you know Mike,even Genesis is doing pop music right now that's the business,Def Leppard too,imagine that,they are doing pop song,wake up Mike,your longer tracks can't be promoted now,if you want to sell your record you'll have to do some compromise,try to put more pop songs on your album,like you did on discovery,but only with tracks like...erm...Moonlight Shadow,but for the 1990's,you must be ahead of your time to survivre,people want easy songs to listen to"

Mike : "erm...if I don't have other choices...okay"
(thinking "the next one will be totally instrumental,and certainly not called tubular bells II")

from wikipedia :

"Earth Moving was released in July 1989, and was a moderate success. The album was the first to exclusively feature rock/pop songs, several of which were released: "Innocent" and "Holy" in Europe, and "Hostage" in the USA for album rock stations. This was, however, a time of much friction with his record label. Virgin Records reportedly insisted that any future instrumental album should be billed as Tubular Bells 2. Oldfield's rebellious response was Amarok, an hour-long work featuring rapidly changing themes (supposedly devised to make cutting a single from the album impossible), unpredictable bursts of noise, and a very cleverly hidden Morse code insult directed at Richard Branson"

"According to Oldfield, the album was made with the full understanding of his recording company, Virgin Records, which demanded he create more commercially-oriented material than his previous albums. After recording Earth Moving Oldfield wanted to move away from 'computerised music' and return to real musicians and instruments; this is evident in his next album, Amarok."

the liberty Mike had on 1981-1984 to put longer tracks on his records had disappeared by 1988 because Virgin wanted to make more money.

So imagine,you're a musician,you want to do something and Virgin wants you to do what THEY wants,a record company that would have probably not existed 15 years ago without the success of your 1st album;
you then creates an album for your record company,
not for yourself or the fans...nobody can't be passionate about it's own music with all these money talks.

Then you take your revenge by doing a complex instrumental album that you have to promote with your own money.

Earth moving is the beginning of the end with Richard Branson and Virgin records.It's not an album,it's a blackmail.

Now talking about music :

for me every Mike Oldfield album is good,as are the ones by genesis,king crimson,yes or pink floyd,
to fully appreciate this kind of music you must replace it into its context.

I have moments when I prefer listen to "a momentary lapse of reason" than "animals",or "beat" than "red",or "90125" than "tales from topographic oceans"

so sometimes i will prefer to listen to "earth moving" than "ommadawn"

It is a good 1989 pop album,a moment in the history of music when everything was changing very fast,a snapshot.

Think about Kings of Leon or P!nk (I know it's a very strange comparison with Mike Oldfield),
what people listening to their music will think about them in 2045?

Perhaps Earth Moving sounds old fashion because of the production,but it is still a good album with good tracks.

As for the deluxe edition CD1 should be the album and some demos and CD2 should be all of the b-sides and remixes
Profile PM 
12 replies since June 23 2009, 17:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net