Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 'Earth Moving'< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
David Mar Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 10 2005, 05:22

It's ironic how Mike put down the album, when the singer in the video - Nikki B Bentley - looks and sounds a bit like Carol Decker! Both have red hair and powerful voices!

I like the album 'Earth Moving' even though there are no instrumentals - it's nice to hear Mike go in this direction - even though it was just for 1 album.
Profile PM 
willy Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2005, 09:56

Quote (David Mar @ Jan. 10 2005, 05:22)
It's ironic how Mike put down the album, when the singer in the video - Nikki B Bentley - looks and sounds a bit like Carol Decker! Both have red hair and powerful voices!

I like the album 'Earth Moving' even though there are no instrumentals - it's nice to hear Mike go in this direction - even though it was just for 1 album.

There are a lot of excellent songs throughout Mike's work and so his songwriting capability is no fluke. My faves:

On Horseback, Ireland's Eye (Orabidoo), Moonlight Shadow, In High Places, Crime Of Passion,
To France, Talk About Your Life, Saved By A Bell, North Point, The Time Has Come, When The Night's On Fire, Holy, Far Country, Innocent, Earth Moving, Blue Night, Nothing But/Bridge To Paradise, Heaven's Open, Make Make, No Dream, Man In The Rain

These are all top notch methinks. That's not to say he hasn't written some sh!te as well, but I'm not here to be critical. When he is good he is very good.
Profile PM 
DanishDonJuan Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2005, 04:02

A nice list Willy.
I would add "Discovery", "Poison arrows", "Tricks of the light", "Islands" and "Family Man".
But your list includes most of my favorites. ;)

--------------
If every road we traveled were the easy, we would be weak, and would eventually think every road difficult.
If every road we traveled tough, we would be strong and eventually think no road to be difficult.

Its the tough road that leads to happiness.
A smooth sea never made a great sailor.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2005, 17:35

i must say 'earth moving' has never been among my favourite albums, actually it's my least listened. however the video has impressed me and since i viewed the dvd for the first time, i've been listening to the album and i'm having a growing up feeling for it.

watching this video now after the years, i've found out the connection to the rest of his work that i didn't get to see before. i used to think earth moving was sort of "patch" on the whole of his music. i didn't understand it.. but  now watching the earth spinning through the space is something familiar to me. where else i've seen objects flying among planets?  i always saw how mvr was already in 'the wind chimes', but now i see it's somehow in small bits like this song as well.
like in mvr, the images move from the highest to the lowest, in this case taking one from the outer space into a sewer to reach the caution label of a chemical product. it's a trip going from the beauty of the earth itself to a rotten depth.

this video leaves me with a sweet and bitter taste in the mouth.. now i understand why the album's cover always makes me feel uneasy.. now i think maybe that's its aim..

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
willy Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2005, 12:27

Quote (DanishDonJuan @ Jan. 12 2005, 04:02)
A nice list Willy.
I would add "Discovery", "Poison arrows", "Tricks of the light", "Islands" and "Family Man".
But your list includes most of my favorites. ;)

Thank you. And I forgot to mention Hiawatha (and the Hiawatha/Diana ending to Incantations Part 4) and the awesome 'The watcher and the tower' section from Crises.
Profile PM 
Australopithicine Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2005, 01:24

As a young Mike fan wagging school specifically to travel to Blackwood and buy Earth Moving the instant it was available in SA, I was so disappointed with it.

The CD (it was the first time I didn't buy the album) was awful but had two saving graces I thought, the guitar solo in Far Country (not the vocal mind you) and also the stunningly powerful Nikki B Bentley's interpretation of the title track.

The video is a bit nasty, which is usual for Mike, but if anyone thought the mullet on his Heaven's Open video was embarassing; Nikki's haircut is even more unfortunate which is a shame because she isn't *that* bad looking.

Anyway, Earth Moving is my only favourite song from that album, apart from the saxaphone which makes me cringe, I rate it. :)

~A~
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 14 2021, 17:31

Quote (willy @ Jan. 10 2005, 09:56)
Quote (David Mar @ Jan. 10 2005, 05:22)

There are a lot of excellent songs throughout Mike's work and so his songwriting capability is no fluke. My faves:

On Horseback, Ireland's Eye (Orabidoo), Moonlight Shadow, In High Places, Crime Of Passion,
To France, Talk About Your Life, Saved By A Bell, North Point, The Time Has Come, When The Night's On Fire, Holy, Far Country, Innocent, Earth Moving, Blue Night, Nothing But/Bridge To Paradise, Heaven's Open, Make Make, No Dream, Man In The Rain

These are all top notch methinks. That's not to say he hasn't written some sh!te as well, but I'm not here to be critical. When he is good he is very good.

"Ireland's Eye" wasn't written by Mike. The music is by Rick Fenn, with lyrics by Maggie.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
6 replies since Jan. 10 2005, 05:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net