Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: DVD worth getting?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
DarkFeline Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 17 2006, 12:48

I was pleasantly surprised to see Live in Berlin sold in a bookstore here in this corner of Malaysia. After a 10% discount the price was just RM49.50 (roughly US$13.50). Might seem cheap to some of you but still the price is significantly high here.

I'm willing to part 50 bucks here for a good and original DVD (it's gonna be my first Mikey DVD and first music DVD too), but the question here is do you guys think that this DVD is worth buying in the first place?

--------------
Who's your mummy, where she go?
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2006, 17:15

If it's your first, then no.

Unfortunately, the Berlin 2000 DVD does mark one of Mike's most embarassing moments, and not in a good way.

However, there are some good DVDs of MO. I'd recommend you try the Elements or the TB2+3 DVD first.
Profile PM 
Pendragon Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2006, 00:19

It was the first Oldfield DVD I bought and I don't regret it.  The concert was a great party and its nice to see the mature man playing.  However, there are lots of distractions on stage, and we don't see a whole lot of Mike actually playing.  But, if you like TBIII and Millenium Bell, I'd say go for it. :)

There's a very nice interview included as well.
Profile PM 
DarkFeline Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2006, 02:18

Hmmm... Thanks guys. :D I guess I'm really tempted to get the DVD here. I guess when the tracklist says Secrets, it does include Far Above The Clouds right?

--------------
Who's your mummy, where she go?
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2006, 03:54

Well, it's true that most of the music is 'The Millenium Bell', which most of us think isn't Mike's best work. But here in this DVD you're seeing and hearing it in the context it was written for, instead of being exposed to the clinical and unforgiving light of a studio recording process as it is on the album.

I think it was OK to go over the top at the turn of the Millennia. It was a time for fireworks, and extravagant hopes - and this show presents the extravagant ideas behind the music of The Millennium Bell in their best light - not as great music in itself, but as one man's attempt to rise to a great occasion. The very fact that he hovers so close to failure (and is willing to risk that) is itself inspiring, for me.

I'm not particularly fond of music DVDs, but I love this show. And the grand climax, just after midnight has passed, of the wildly powerful, dangerous, and imaginatively staggering piece of music called Berlin 2000, is utterly awesome. I can't hear and watch without tears. I so wish I'd been there to see and hear it in person.
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2006, 08:29

no  ;)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2006, 14:48

Once I talked to one of friends of Mine. He said that he saw MB concert, as the first concert of Mike. I could found no way to persuade him to watch others. Buying it as the first is definitely the worst thing You can do. Rather consider TBIII Premiere (TBII is not really bad but not as good imho). Secrets/FAtC on TB3PLP really rocks. On MB it sucks.

cheerz
amazarak

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2006, 18:07

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Sep. 18 2006, 08:29)
no  ;)

I like it, Piltdown... simple but effective!

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 19 2006, 22:26

of course it is worth getting it.
Special the songs "secrets", "art in heaven" is worth the price alone. Only thing to complain on art in heaven is that i want to see how it really was (without those video effects)
But it is lovely!
Also the interview is cool.

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
OneGeneratuonTooLate Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2006, 23:58

Which was his most embarassing moment?

I sympathize with him on that performance, it's hard to get the fingers moving while fingerpicking like that in the cold..
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2006, 03:59

Quote (Tubularman @ Sep. 20 2006, 03:26)
of course it is worth getting it.
Special the songs "secrets", "art in heaven" is worth the price alone.

Yes, that's how I feel about it. Most particularly, 'Art in Heaven' (or 'Berlin 2000' as it's also known) is one of the most outstanding pieces in Mike's oeuvre, and to see/hear it in context on this DVD is an astonishing experience.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 20 2006, 11:25

yes it is a really good performance and i like how the way song change/turns in the drums. (art in heaven)
It gives me a really dramatic feeling. With the lights and the amazing guitar!!  
now i listen to it very LOUD!!!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
TubularUSA Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2006, 14:17

I waited in torment over 1 1/2 years from when this concert actually took place to get my NTSC DVD.  I guess it made it worth a little more to me.  The sound is excellent.  The way they played Portsmouth after Tubular Bells sounded really nice.  Art in Heaven was spectacular, even though the editors got carried away with all those lights.  I would easily spend up to $30US without even giving it another thought.  It's well worth it.  I'm glad I have all his DVDs including this one.
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2006, 14:01

No Andylkl,

actually, very few tracks are intersting. Don't get me wrong, I am a big MO fan, but I find it embarising to see Mike perform such a poor music as Millenium Bell (not a single track is worth listening to) and Moonlight Shadow again ... please, can you get over it Mike! (Nice solo though). Also TBIII sounds out-of-tune.

The "extra" written "long" track, with Mike mastrubating the guitar for like 10 minutes, is probably the worst MO memory I have; so increadably boring and embarrising. Any school kid could have written a better track and played it better.

Sorry. (Mike is so increadably unreliable, almost infinite variance there... When inspired, he is the strongest geniuos of our time).
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2006, 16:25

Quote (TheMann @ Nov. 17 2006, 19:01)
The "extra" written "long" track, with Mike mastrubating the guitar for like 10 minutes, is probably the worst MO memory I have; so increadably boring and embarrising. Any school kid could have written a better track and played it better.

I can hardly believe it, but I think you're talking here about 'Art in Heaven' ...

Now, we're all different, and I can understand that you (or anyone else) might not like it. I can understand you (or anyone else) might find it boring. Those things could be true for any piece of music.

But to suggest that a schoolkid could have done it ... and furthermore could have played that magnificent guitar solo better (one of the most impassioned and powerful things I've ever heard) ...  well, I just can't see where you're coming from, there.
Profile PM 
Quicksilver Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2006, 16:59

Personally, I find the Art in Heaven theme boring, uninspired, with extremely monotonous and loud drums, and desperately long.
Profile PM 
Morti Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2006, 07:45

I'd say so. I wasn't really a fan of it the first time I watched it but then I gave it more of a chance and, actually, Millennium Bell has some real moments of genius in this concert. The chorus section and the string section are both fantastic, then there's a bit where they lead into a nice speedy climactic solo by Mike which is pretty fantastic. After seeing this DVD I was somewhat disappointed when I gave The Millennium Bell another listen and the studio version didn't really compare to the energy in this live incarnation but it's still a fine piece of music and obviously very well represented on the DVD.

This is perhaps one of the weaker Mike Oldfield DVDs available but I'd suggest buying it, enjoying it and then going out to track down the others and being able to be blown away once more. Although I realise this topic is rather old by this point so hopefully the original poster has done that already. ;)

But no, I never got on with Art In Heaven either, but that's not what one buys this DVD for.

--------------
The ear worm became the synonym for the commercial side of MIKE OLDFIELD.
Profile PM WEB 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Nov. 19 2006, 11:35

Yes I mean "Art In Heaven". A good title, but a shitty piece of music, unfortunately.

Mike, this superb geniuos, had here the greatest possibility to play for the world any of his many great complex pieces (such as the Ommadawn finale) or compose something new and worthy. And then, his choice was ... this!? Come on.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 19 2006, 12:28

Quote (TheMann @ Nov. 19 2006, 16:35)
or compose something new and worthy.

But that's exactly what he did - he rose to this occasion by composing something like nothing else he'd ever written before (which is exactly what you'd hope from a great artist) ... and you didn't like it. That's unfortunate, but of course 'I don't like it' and 'This is rubbish' are very different statements, and the second doesn't follow from the former.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2006, 00:00

this extra, long boring track etc  :p   is the only reason i bought this dvd   :D  well, we all can't have same taste  :O

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
24 replies since Sep. 17 2006, 12:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net