Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Dulcimer, Part 2< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Robert Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 16 2003, 11:01

Does anyone know what the acoustic instrument is at the start of the finale on Part 2, before Horseback? Ive heard its a dulcimer, is this true?

Thanks.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 16 2003, 13:01

I think I've heard people say that the Amarok player calls that the 'dulcimer' section...anyway, it's not true, it's a bouzouki, as can be seen here.

There is an appalachian dulcimer in that picture as well, but they're usually used for strummed chordal parts, and have a delicate sound quite unlike the bouzouki. They're quite simple instruments, generally tuned to a chord and with diatonically placed frets (making them rather forgiving on newcomers to music, as playing out of key notes isn't possible once the instrument is in tune).
The other kind of dulcimer is the hammered dulcimer (the appalachian and hammered varieties are related in being box zither type instruments, but they're really very different beasts), which has a more piano-like sound - I'd not say it's sound could easily be confused with that of a bouzouki, but the sound does have a similar sharp, cutting quality.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 16 2003, 17:50

Did Mike not use a hammered dulcimer in The Lake? The lovely section near the beginning of the track just after the first big climax bit. Or am I confusing this with an other instrument? It's a lovely sound whatever it is.
Profile PM 
2 replies since Sep. 16 2003, 11:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net