Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: drums on tb 2003, who's playing< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
torbenyj Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 26 2003, 13:07

It's easy - who's playing drums on tubular bels 2003? - Mike!
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 26 2003, 14:57

I didn't hear tb2003 yet :D
but my guess is that there's not many people who would not be able to play a drum synth :D heh

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 26 2003, 17:14

Boss drumcomputer done by Mike.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 26 2003, 21:22

Humm....lol...I was thinking about real drums...that´s what I noticed..."it can´t be a drum machine!"

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 27 2003, 05:43

hehe it's a long time where there was really noticeable difference between a drum computer and a real drummer :o) in the time when we have toys like Native Instruments Battery with 128 velocity layers for each drum in a set :D it's quite easy to use a drum computer instead of living drummer...and btw drumsynths are always a bit more acurate then living drummers :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: May 27 2003, 06:58

Quote (BOOsTER @ May 27 2003, 12:43)
...and btw drumsynths are always a bit more acurate then living drummers :)

Which is why IMO one should use a real drummer. Kraftwerk's Florian Schneider might disagree, though.
Profile PM WEB 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: May 27 2003, 07:36

Having heard it now a few times, my impression is that a real drummer like Pierre Moerlen or Simon Philips (sp?) could have added some more 'drive' to it (especially the 'final finale' of part 1), which is now missing since the drums are too 'exact' - just MHO..
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 27 2003, 07:42

well inacuracy of real drummer does sometimes give it a feel :D
yes I agree .

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 27 2003, 13:05

Boss Dr Rhythm machines don't sound, as I'm aware, realistic enough to be confused with a real drummer.

Drum machines may be simple to use to a degree, but to get the performance to sound anything like a real drummer takes a lot of skill.

It's possible in Pro Tools (and I believe in other software too) to take the performance of a real drummer - like Edgar Broughton's from Tubular Bells - and use that to trigger new samples (using the Sound Replacer plugin). The recording can be quantised at the same time.
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: May 28 2003, 07:00

I never understand, all this effort, all this technology, just get a real person???

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 28 2003, 07:35

Actually, though I'm a fan of having musicians play live parts on real instruments, I can see why someone would do it another way.

If your studio isn't set up for recording drums, it's a real pain, as space has to be found for the drums in a place where the acoustics are good for recording them, then the drummer has to come in and set up the drums and then tune them, which can take a long time. There's then the process of setting up the microphones to get a good sound, and working with the drummer until he/she gives a good take.
Of course, some of the setup time can be eliminated by using something like V Drums instead of acoustic ones, but I'd question whether there's really much 'ethical' difference between that and triggering the parts from an audio recording - both are a real drummer triggering electronic sounds, just in a different way.
In Mike's case, I think it comes down to control - he has a lot more control over an electronic source than over another musician. It therefore takes him much less time to get what he wants (and he also has to pay less for it), and seemingly feels happier with it in the end.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 28 2003, 14:41

Yes, the Boss Dr. Rythm isn't realistic enough to sound. I noticed it right away when I heard "caveman". I was a bit dissapointed, because real drummers just give that extra "feeling".

Korgscrew ---> The band of my brother recorded their demo with triggered drum sounds (because of lack of time) but I think it sounds awful.

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 28 2003, 15:15

Mmm, it can do...you have to be very, very, very skillful to get it to sound like an acoustic kit (but a badly recorded acoustic kit can sound worse than a mediochre set of samples...). I don't personally think it matters how it's been done as long as it sounds good, though I think it's a shame when the human aspect of making music is removed completely and replaced with virtual simulations.
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 28 2003, 15:20

well even with a simulation you need the human aspect to create the velocities and dynamics of the drums so I think there's always the human aspect and a special kind of feel in the simulations :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 28 2003, 15:23

Quote (BOOsTER @ May 28 2003, 15:20)
well even with a simulation you need the human aspect to create the velocities and dynamics of the drums so I think there's always the human aspect and a special kind of feel in the simulations :)

Good point.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 28 2003, 15:31

I always wanted to buy a drumcomputer. Thing is, which one? I hear a lot of drumcomputers with their techno and dance sounds; I want some rock drums in it.

I tried the Korg Electribe. Sounds good but too much techno stuff. Or not?

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 28 2003, 16:21

I would not go for a hardware drum computer I would try the Native Instruments' Battery first I know that a lot musicians use it and it's really good having a lot of velocity layers in each preset and there's a lot of new presets around the net ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 28 2003, 16:32

Yeah, but I like the hardware stuff!!!!!!!!!!!  :p

And besides, if I want to go live and couldn't find a drummer? I don't want to drag computers on the stage.

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: May 28 2003, 16:36

hihi I always go to stage with one workstation and a laptop ;)
it depends on the things like price of the hardware stuff and battery...

if you decide for hardware stuff I can't really help you with choosing the best one you better ask korgie for that ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 29 2003, 10:02

Really? ;) And what do people think of you then if they see you with just one workstation and laptop?

I always love to have this big racks of synthesizers and such.

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
34 replies since May 26 2003, 13:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net