Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Drumming on Caveman< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Almohan Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 25 2009, 09:31

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I can't find it, so: who's playing the drums on The Caveman 2003? No-one is credited. There is nothing like "drums" under "Percussion", and anyway they don't sound like electronic drums. Also, has anyone explained why the leaflet of the audio DVD is so much more detailed than that of the CD?
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 11:19

I suspect it was computer generated. :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Almohan Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 12:29

Oh bother. Them machines have got me fooled once again. Last time was when I was sure the great bass guitar on The Cure's The Lovecats was actually an accoutic bass guitar, but I was then told it really was a frakkin' keyboard.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: June 25 2009, 12:41

Quote (The Caveman @ June 25 2009, 17:19)
I suspect it was computer generated. :)

Are you sure about that??

Isn't the 2003 version supposed to be a remake of 1973, but just with better equipment for playing and recording?

I may be naive, but i doesn't sound to me that there is much synth going on..  

Anyway...I always found the original TB very gloomy and difficult to approach,
but I really appreciate the new recording from 2003....in fact, it is very high rated on my MO list  :)
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 12:47

Quote (prisoner.of.the.dark.sky @ June 25 2009, 12:41)
Isn't the 2003 version supposed to be a remake of 1973, but just with better equipment for playing and recording?

Just a couple of minutes into the re-make there is a very obvious keyboard-generated bass guitar. What worries me is that Mike seemed to think the keyboards and computers are supperior to actual musicians.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 12:56

They are definately computer generated drums and i hear synth all over it.The idea was as you say to make a 'technically perfect'  (his words not mine) remake and i guess he felt he could do that with keyboards and computer generated stuff like drum samples and bass sounds.
 I'm with you larstangmark in that,although musicians are never as tight on timing as a computer (my sense of time and rhythm when i play is by my own admission not that great)there is no substitute for a real musician playing a real instrument.
 While 2003 sounds nice and bright and shiny to me it lacks the very personal,organic feel of the original.It's good but it doesn't do it for me somehow.You can hear him breathe as he plays acoustic guitar and you get a very really sense of him hunched over the guitar really putting everything into it.
To be honest if synths had been as easily available then as they are now the original would probably have had synths all over it anyway.
 From Ommadawn onwards they are an integral part of the Oldfield 'sound'.

--------------
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: June 25 2009, 14:07

....what...a...disappointing....turnoff.....

as always larstangmark and caveman..you guys are well-informed and I have no doubts in your words.
My hearing ain't that great anymore and I have missed out that so much synth was on board....oh..well.

My sinister side comes up...MO have really become a uninvolved lazy ass these past years.

I liked his music more when he was haunted crazed out and drugged out musician, instead of this fruity-loops-push-button-freak-tech that he is now.

I still like TB 2003 though   ;)
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 17:17

As far as I remember, Mike reconstructed Steve Broughton's drum track by feeding samples of the original drum track into a sampler loaded with "contemporary" drum sounds - exactly the same way in which he reconstructed Simon Phillips' drum track from "Moonlight Shadow" in order to manipulate it on "Man in the Rain", which of course is "Moonlight Shadow" part II. :D  In Mike's previous albums, Fergus Gerrand played a set of electronic drums by Roland called Drum Kat, which featured a sampler. Maybe it's the same one used here. :)

For all of the greatly detailed notes within the TB 2003 DVD-A booklet, I think we have to thank Korgscrew. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 26 2009, 07:05

As i said it's not bad and i do occasionally listen to it but it doesn't draw me in like the original dies.And even then it has to be the original mix of the original album.Gets confusing as there's so many versions out there.
 I'm glad someone had the balls to say that Mike is getting bloody lazy when he does electronic stuff.MOTS took a lot of work evidently and it shows cos it is easily the best thing he's done in years and long may this continue BUT L&S and Tres Lunas sound like the sort of thing he could rattle of in his sleep and used a hell if a lot of pre-sets.
 And i know a lot of people like these albums so i must stress this is just my own opinion but i much prefer to hear something played by hand.A computer cannot generate the feel a guitar play with real passion and feel can! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2009, 08:20

I know this is a seriously old thread but i heard a really good joke about drummers that may well explain Mike's choice to use a drum machine on TB 2003.

Q:What's the difference between a drum machine and a drummer?

A:You only have to punch the information into a drum machine once!

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2009, 12:31

Quote (The Caveman @ Dec. 15 2009, 08:20)
I know this is a seriously old thread but i heard a really good joke about drummers that may well explain Mike's choice to use a drum machine on TB 2003.

Q:What's the difference between a drum machine and a drummer?

A:You only have to punch the information into a drum machine once!

Or as Nick Mason said about drum machines; "They're not going to be sick on the carpet".

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2009, 03:54

Q:How do you tell if the stage isn't level?
A:The drummer only dribbles out of one side of his mouth.

--------------
Profile PM 
11 replies since June 25 2009, 09:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net