Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (12) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Double album to be released around September 2005< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
raven4x4x Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 14 2005, 04:57

Quote (Chicular @ May 14 2005, 17:55)
Yeah i've tried refreshing with no success.  I notice when i enter the page it says last update 20th Sept 04.  Strange!! I guess with everyone else it says last update 13/05/05?

Yes it does, and I have no idea at all why your's would not. Very strange.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: May 14 2005, 05:04

They must have forgot to update the English Language page on mine!  When i select any other language it say latest update 13/05/05.  Are you reading from English language option?
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 14 2005, 05:06

Yes I am. Perhaps someone with more experience and knowledge of computers would be able to help some more? I honestly have no idea what could be causing this problem.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: May 14 2005, 05:20

Thanks for your help anyaway Raven!  Anyway i believe the news! i just wanted to see it with my own eyes on Mikeoldfield.com!  I suppose i could if i learned how to read Spanish or French..Lol!!

I'm glad we've heard some exciting news.  It sounds like an interesting concept.  I would think we'll get some long tracks of instrumental length.  Maybe one side will be a long instrumental and the other just individual tracks.

I like the name Quicksilver too although in the end he might just go with a track name for the album title!  Hey maybe Quicksilver is the name of one of the tracks??

Hopefully in the next few weeks we'll hear more news about actual release date and maybe get a few excerpts!
Profile PM 
Ecco Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 14 2005, 06:30

This is great news and it's a great title. Good move to go to Mercury, in our opinion. Little bit happier today.

--------------
http://www.myspace.com/twilighttide
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 14 2005, 06:39

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ May 13 2005, 22:18)
Yeah, it suprises me Mike lets us hear something from him. I was aching to write on his birthday: "please lets us hear something from you!!" So, how are you looking these days Mike? Maybe a photo? ;)

The bad is his production way and equipment: I don't believe in making a whole album just with software (ok, there's also a bit of guitar).

1)About the look - ask Fanny Oldfield on MO.com to put a new pic of Mike there,it works ;)
Since the new album deals with lots of tech stuff,why not a TB III-like look or something similar?

2)Too much tech - If you're not smart while using technology,technology will kill your creative work.I do hope that Mike knew how to use it in a way that don't kill his musician skills and he continues to be sounding like the Mike Oldfield we know and like,right?

3)Virtual Vocalists - not sure that he has used in vocals like we've got on TSODE or a full-tune singer or maybe both.I've got a guess for both,the singles will feature lead vocals from a virtual vocalist or just snippets of vocals.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Anne in the Rain Offline

Posted: May 14 2005, 06:56

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ May 13 2005, 21:18)
I believe an instrument has to be used as it was originally made. A voice has to be sung by a human. A piano sound has to be played by a real piano. A flute has to be played by a real flute. And with synthesizers: well, it's like how Bob Moog said it. A synthesizer is made to create sounds that you can't produce with acoustic equipment, and not made to emulate flutes, pianos, brass etc. So I'm disgussed of this virtual vocalist program.

Yes! A character from a very old Czech movie said, "What is it good for if a composer writes a wonderful aria no human being can sing?" I don't know how developed those virtual vocalist are now but they may be able to sing 10 octaves in the future. What will it be good for? If I like a song, I want to sing it. OK, my attempts to sing opera may be dreadful but I don't give up because I know there are people who can sing it. No one can sing 10 octaves... And then Mike has helped me to discover so many great voices!

But the rest (especially disk 2) sounds amazing. Roll on September!
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 14 2005, 07:53

hmmmm... i wonder how the design cover will look like...  Quicksilver is more silver is'nt???? Just like the cover of tb3?? I dont know.....,, but do you guys??

I hope he will give us a single from Quicksilver... (maybe in the summertime) Who knows  :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 14 2005, 07:58

Quote (raven4x4x @ May 14 2005, 10:06)
Perhaps someone with more experience and knowledge of computers would be able to help some more? I honestly have no idea what could be causing this problem.

The old version's being stored in the browser cache. You have to make sure it's doing a 'refresh from server', or whatever the particular broswer calls it (i.e. downloading it again rather than just reopening the cached copy). Normally it involves clicking on the refresh button with a modifier key like control.
Profile PM 
Tubular-Olli Offline

Posted: May 14 2005, 11:44

:)  :) I have been a big fan of Mike over 20 years and I have to say : ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC NEWS!  

I hope to see Mike here in Finland first time since 1982.I have promised to my daughter to go in Mike’s concert some day.

regards,
Olli
:)  :)
Profile PM 
dominic Offline

Posted: May 14 2005, 11:54

Quicksilver, great title for me... double album, 2cd's, new Mike's music, yeeesssss!

--------------
Mike Oldfield forever
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: May 14 2005, 13:35

I'm not getting worked up about the title. Leaving it "Quicksilver" wouldn't harm me, but maybe a title with more impact could work better.

It's the Vocaloids that's bugging me a little. The software itself isn't a real problem - the problem comes from how you use it. Trying to make a computer sing to replace a human being is a big sin, in my opinion. Mike can get almost any singer on Earth to sing for him, so unavailability isn't an excuse. Using Vocaloids either mean he doesn't like working with people other than himself (like I said in my previous - very mean - joke), or he's convinced computers sing much better than real people. Both reasons frighten me.

But then again, that is IN CASE Mike is doing THAT kind of work with Vocaloid (but judging by what he has done already in the last decade, I wouldn't doubt that's the way he's working). If you're treating the computer software like nothing other than a mere computer software, then I can't see any problem with it. I mean, Kraftwerk showed the right way to make computers sing back in "Computer World", so if he's just letting the computers be JUST computer, I won't be bothered. When people get way too ambitious with machines, I get frightened. I'm trying to say... Think of The Matrix. :cool:

It's a delicate topic, alright. And I'll only judge Mike's use of Vocaloids when I actually hear the album. For now, I'll be abstract, vague and confusing. ;)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Navaira Offline

Posted: May 14 2005, 13:52

I tried listening to Vocaloid samples -- they're rather horrible, really. Maybe he's using some other software working to the same principles?

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Vinz Offline

Posted: May 15 2005, 01:18

Well, all this sounds good ! A double album, some guitars, the grand piano, a new record company... Just great.

I may have an explanation for the double album : I think that the chillout CD, was the third album for Warner. Remember ?  The contract was 2 chillout albums and Tubular Bells 2003. But, for some reasons, Mike didn't make it with Warner.
The second CD may be the real one for Mercury Record.

Vinz, just thinking...

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 
Yuval Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 15 2005, 05:00

mmm lets see:
*Uptempo *atmosphere *virtual *ambient *chillout *new generations

doesnt sound like another Amarok does it?
what a shame.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 15 2005, 09:11

Quote (Vinz @ May 15 2005, 02:18)
I may have an explanation for the double album : I think that the chillout CD, was the third album for Warner. Remember ?  The contract was 2 chillout albums and Tubular Bells 2003. But, for some reasons, Mike didn't make it with Warner.
The second CD may be the real one for Mercury Record.

Maybe the DVD-Audio for TB 2003 was considered as the 3rd one in the 3-record deal with Warner Spain...but there's a chance that when Mike offered his new double album,Warner Spain didn't want to invest on the project...just a guessing here,maybe Korgie knows more on the subject!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: May 15 2005, 10:01

A double album being released by two different companies? Doesn't sound plausible to me! You see, Mike mentioned a double album, not two albums. I don't think "Incantations" counted as two albums, for example, becuase it was one single release, you know. I don't know how record companies work, but I'm sure it was something else.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Chicular Offline

Posted: May 15 2005, 10:20

For me i think it's a bit daft speculating whether or not this album will be good or not based on what Mike has written.  I'm just going to wait until i've heard it before commenting.  I just think it's great we're getting a new album, i'm sure i'll like it cos it's Mike and it's not going to be the norm.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: May 15 2005, 11:17

Using your own argument though Chicular, how can you say either way whether it's gonna be good or bad?

although personally that's me just playing devil's advocate, because I also think that grandiose speculation can be unproductive. If only we had something a little more to go on...

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: May 15 2005, 11:34

Incidentaly, i was checking the Mercury Records website and i see Mark Knopfler is with them.  He is releasing a new Album with them in September as well and a website has been created for the album!  Surely a website will be created for Quicksilver soon eh?!
Profile PM 
226 replies since May 13 2005, 08:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (12) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net