Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (12) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Double album to be released around September 2005< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 15 2005, 12:19

Quote (Chicular @ May 15 2005, 12:34)
Incidentaly, i was checking the Mercury Records website and i see Mark Knopfler is with them.  He is releasing a new Album with them in September as well and a website has been created for the album!  Surely a website will be created for Quicksilver soon eh?!

Do hope so! And a good one!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 15 2005, 13:06

Can anyone give a brief, non-technical description of what these virtual vocal thingies are, and what they do, please?

(Sudden horrific thought. They can't imitate Margaret Thatcher, can they....?)
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: May 15 2005, 13:35

Basically they are software synthesised voices. From production to post-production to recording. This means that in order to create an 'accurate' sounding voice, a lot of time and effort has to go into creating the nuances associated with the human voice.

The general fear is that these nuances cannot be included at all, but if they can be, it's possible to synthesise a complete sounding voice. I've heard operatic versions which are close to indestinguishable.

And I'm afraid, that with enough time and effort, Maggie could possibly be resurrected.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: May 15 2005, 14:22

Quote (arron11196 @ May 15 2005, 13:35)
And I'm afraid, that with enough time and effort, Maggie could possibly be resurrected.

God I hope not!

Great news about the album though
bee Offline

Posted: May 15 2005, 14:23

Been away for a while due to technical "this computer is a pain in the neck" problems~ hopefully now resolved!

1. Amazed and delighted, on my first day back browsing through tubular.net, to find thatMike has announced his new album. Good Man!!! Total surprise ~ not too far off ~ I can cope with waiting till September. A little concerned about the electronic vocal thingy ~ but I love a lot of JMJ which does give me the tingle factor/goosebumps whatever you want to call it. Do you think there will be some guitars? I really need something really moody, deep and dark!! But whatever it is, it will be good and a double album will be an absolute joy to behold. The title is interesting ~ Quicksilver  makes me think of mirrors/reflections or quick changing moods. Can't wait! My ears, heart and brain are ready to receive.

2. And what a wonderful day to have a birthday. Happy birthday Mike! In the south east of England it was the most perfect day ~ I was outside the whole day and heard skylarks, saw housemartins and felt the sun on my back. Bliss. All whilst I was at work too. So many happy returns of the day Mike and thankyou for your beautiful music.

P.S Just listening to the Milennium Bell glass of Shiraz in my hand and I realise how much I love this album. It always seems to provoke strong feelings one way or the other on this forum. I can't see why people dislike it. Ifind it exhilarating and positive and uplifting.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 15 2005, 15:05

Quote (arron11196 @ May 15 2005, 18:35)
Basically they are software synthesised voices. From production to post-production to recording. This means that in order to create an 'accurate' sounding voice, a lot of time and effort has to go into creating the nuances associated with the human voice.

I can see that it could be useful if you were using lots of 'aa-ahh'-type wordless sounds, so it would become effectively another voice-like instrument.

But there's a part of me that can't understand the point of this if it were to be a substitute for actual singing....?
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 15 2005, 15:12

Well a double album of material is certainly more than anybody expected I think, lets hope he's gone for quality as well as quantity though. The up tempo darker, moodier stuff sounds the most promising but lets hope the 'ambient' chill-out' stuff is more than just a continuation of TresLunas'.
The synth vocal thing does send shivers down my spine. Fans here worried a similar way about the prospect of the synth sax on TL and their worries were not in vain, it sounded soulless and cheesy as hell. Will we have a similar outcome here? From what people have said about them, probably. It depends on how they're used. I agree with what Korgscrew said in his post, if you're going to sample, distort and generally tweak the vocal part until its barely recognizable then I guess there's nothing really wrong with getting you're original vocal sample from synth software. However if you actually want to emulate a real singer singing a song then please god no! I don't know why Mike gets so seduced by these gimmicks, they go against everything he and his music used to stand for, or so I thought anyway.
I'm not sure what I think of the title 'Quicksilver'. Whats it mean Mike? What does it have to do with the music? Why is it relevant? What does it symbolize? I'd like to think more thought goes into album titles than just trying to come up with the first vaguely dynamic, vaguely windswept, vaguely cool sounding word that comes into Mike's head. If thats all he wants then I could think of better titles than 'Quicksilver'. Better than Tubular Bells 4 though.

I'm glad he's given Warner the boot, who lets face it hadn't put any effort into promoting anything by him this side of TB3. Don't know anything about Mercury though, who's on their roster? I guess for fans it's a shame because Mike's catalogue is now going to be spit between 3 labels so the chances of rarities box sets etc become even less than they were, which wasn't much at all.

It will be interesting to hear this album and seeing how it does for Mike. Even if its loosely ambient/chill-out in style I hope it's got more guts and soul than recent releases by him. Some nice guitar playing/solos, well thought out percussion parts, interesting synth textures and of course some top tunes, oh and no dolphins singing. Just the stuff he used to do so well but with a modern touch would be just great. Lets hope so.
Profile PM 
Anne in the Rain Offline

Posted: May 15 2005, 16:31

Quote (TOBY @ May 15 2005, 15:12)
The synth vocal thing does send shivers down my spine. Fans here worried a similar way about the prospect of the synth sax on TL and their worries were not in vain, it sounded soulless and cheesy as hell. Will we have a similar outcome here? From what people have said about them, probably. It depends on how they're used. I agree with what Korgscrew said in his post, if you're going to sample, distort and generally tweak the vocal part until its barely recognizable then I guess there's nothing really wrong with getting you're original vocal sample from synth software. However if you actually want to emulate a real singer singing a song then please god no! I don't know why Mike gets so seduced by these gimmicks, they go against everything he and his music used to stand for, or so I thought anyway.

I guess he's trying to create something revolutionary again. I'm not sure this is the best way :/
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 15 2005, 17:19

Quote (TOBY @ May 15 2005, 20:12)
I hope it's got more guts and soul than recent releases by him.

Well, I think Tr3s Lunas is full of soul myself - just a different kind of soul. So the prospect of more in that direction is fine by me.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: May 15 2005, 17:30

Hear hear. Let's have more 'variety and honesty' rather than sticking to the idea of Ommadawn XXVIII in Arron's corner.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
monie Offline

Posted: May 15 2005, 18:01

Great to hear Mike has a new album on the horizon, just hope it’s release is not delayed as some previous albums have been, September is a long way off.

Quicksilver sounds good, not sure if the clothing people would be impressed though, look at the problems the Stereophonics had with their album JEEP.

Calling the album MERCURY would probably be a safer bet, or even something in the memory of Mike’s long term friend Pierre Moerlen would be nice.

As for the virtual vocal thing, never underestimate anything Mike does, after all he has for many years paved the way for others in the music business. The genre of his OWN MUSIC speaks for itself, remember Mike is an innovator and is always at his best when creating new music.
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: May 15 2005, 18:26

Regarding this Virtual Vocal stuff... Lets give Mike the benefit of the doubt, he is renowned for being a perfectionist at whatever he does, he wont go into this lightly, if he thought he could get a better effect for what he is planning with real vocalists, he would have used them. Personally, im more interested in the "Guitar", "Piano" and "Darker" music Mike is referring to.  :)

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 15 2005, 18:40

IMHO the virtual voices will end up sounding a little bit like Cher on "Believe", which I don't think it's really too bad if the songs will be pop. :D
Regarding the title, I don't care at all about what it means, or if it is suitable, or why he chose it etc. etc. All that matters to me is the music inside. As far as I'm concerned, he could call it F*ck you and I'd still buy it. :D [A metal group I don't remember actually made an album called like that, and I think it sold quite a few copies. :)]

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: May 15 2005, 19:20

I knew there had to be some news round his birthday.  Not having him post regularly on his website meant he was working hard to get a good product instead of a slap job like some of his more recent albums in last five years!  

I like the sound of a double disc full of music and i'm glad he is with mercury... that's an improvement!!!  

now as for the name mike... quicksilver is a surfer line in clothes here in the US.  not so sure about the title.  a title with the word silver is still a reference to TB!  i know you will come up with something a bit more original just ignore all of the tubular bell albums COMPLETELY!!!  

something a bit more modern and catchy will do the trick.  here are a few suggestions that may or may not be better.

the guide
mile high
numbers
rewrite
inconspicuous
stranger
fantastic light

(these might be worse...)

8 track
happy, sad, and indifferent
indifferent
ambitious
red rose
clocks
double take

well you get the idea... anyway... it's your choice mike.  quicksilver maybe the best of the lot.  get some outside opions and maybe some from the cd store.  walk around and see what is currently the type of title going and go with it.  

that's my view and i'm stickin to it!

chris

ps i really think this album will do fantastic coming out in september!!!  anytime he's put something out then, it's done better than a spring/summer release!  well in the last decade atleast.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 15 2005, 20:09

Quote (TOBY @ May 16 2005, 04:12)
I'm not sure what I think of the title 'Quicksilver'. Whats it mean Mike? What does it have to do with the music? Why is it relevant? What does it symbolize? I'd like to think more thought goes into album titles than just trying to come up with the first vaguely dynamic, vaguely windswept, vaguely cool sounding word that comes into Mike's head. If thats all he wants then I could think of better titles than 'Quicksilver'. Better than Tubular Bells 4 though.

Why do you assume that it is just a "vaguely cool-sounding word" with no relevence to the album? You haven't heard any of the music, so why are you judging it like this? Perhaps it perfectly describes the music. I don't know, and neither do you, so I'm not sure why you're leaping to conclusions that you have no evidence to support. By the way, the album is "untitled, maybe called Quicksilver". Sounds like a working title to me.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: May 15 2005, 20:51

Apart from Mike's obvious joke about the name (he does have  a sense of humour "quuicksilver=mercury), i would ike to suggest something reoresenting both the duality of the album (two distinct discs)and the elctronic bases..
binary

just my thoughts....

andy

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 15 2005, 22:11

Quote (olracUK @ May 15 2005, 21:51)
...i would ike to suggest something reoresenting both the duality of the album (two distinct discs)and the elctronic bases..
binary

I do agree also,and maybe finding a catchy word that sums the spirit of the album!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 15 2005, 22:14

Quote (TOBY @ May 15 2005, 21:12)
I'm glad he's given Warner the boot, who lets face it hadn't put any effort into promoting anything by him this side of TB3. Don't know anything about Mercury though, who's on their roster? I guess for fans it's a shame because Mike's catalogue is now going to be spit between 3 labels so the chances of rarities box sets etc become even less than they were, which wasn't much at all.

Well, maybe it's a good thing. Warner will have to find a way to make money and will have to release, for example, a DVD with video clips of his Warner years??

IMHO the virtual voices will end up sounding a little bit like Cher on "Believe", which I don't think it's really too bad if the songs will be pop. :D

Yes, but on "Believe" they used a vocoder, which is something else. A vocoder can alter the shape of a particular sound, the voice in this case, whereas the vocaloid stuff is a program which sings typed words.

Regarding the title, I don't care at all about what it means, or if it is suitable, or why he chose it etc. etc. All that matters to me is the music inside. As far as I'm concerned, he could call it F*ck you and I'd still buy it. :D [A metal group I don't remember actually made an album called like that, and I think it sold quite a few copies. :)]

Well, I'm sure Mike can sell albums with crazy titles. That rapper eminem can even sell an album which contains a photo in the cd booklet of him shooting his own fans. Damn, this is a crazy world, isn't it?

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: May 16 2005, 02:21

Mike's new album should be called "Kylie".

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 16 2005, 05:23

Just my musings on the album title.  Quicksilver sounds like a working title to me, a pun on Mike's  new label Mercury, or it could be a tribute (in a round about way to the late great Freddie Mercury   ;)  :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
226 replies since May 13 2005, 08:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (12) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net