Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (12) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Double album to be released around September 2005< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sonilink Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 16 2005, 06:57

Quote (Olivier @ May 13 2005, 08:28)
[i]I am very pleased to announce that I have recently signed a three album deal with Mercury records, part of  Universal Music Group.

Is he going to sign for evry labels???

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 16 2005, 12:27

Quote (olracUK @ May 15 2005, 20:51)
i would ike to suggest something reoresenting both the duality of the album (two distinct discs)and the elctronic bases..
binary

RIP-OFF!

;)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: May 16 2005, 12:48

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ May 16 2005, 12:27)
Quote (olracUK @ May 15 2005, 20:51)
i would ike to suggest something reoresenting both the duality of the album (two distinct discs)and the elctronic bases..
binary

RIP-OFF!

;)

I'd rather Tina than Ike, but that is just me.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 16 2005, 13:56

On the subject of the album title and in answer to Raven4x4x. Where exactly in my post did I suggest the title 'Quicksilver' was not relevant to the music? I ASKED (directed at Mike) whether or not it was relevant to the music. I think you read my post wrong chap.
The title of the album, the album cover art and generally how the whole package is put together does matter, and it's something I think Mike should take great care with doing because it is one of the things that helps mould, to a certain extent, how you perceive the music within. In the end I'm just saying I'd like to see Mike bring a bit more gravity back to what he does generally, a bit more meaning perhaps, more than just a collection of pretty tunes, more than just a flippant album title.
Profile PM 
Ecco Offline

Posted: May 16 2005, 14:34

Quote (Korgscrew @ May 14 2005, 00:02)

I don't think it's more creative either way - creativity is the way you use things, not what you use.

Very well put.

How Mike has used the technology remains to be seen (or heard), and I have to say that I haven't yet heard anything from Vocaloid that doesn't sound rather cheesy (people do tend to go down the route of using it in place of a human singer), but I'm sure it's possible to do something extemely interesting with it if it's approached in the right way.

Also, don't forget that Mike has a history of using the latest technologies in very musically tasteful ways, i.e. the vocorder--which usually sounds ridiculous when used by other musicians--in 'Five Miles Out', the album.

Depends what we're talking about he. If you mean to say that using hardware synthesisers makes it more human, I disagree. I have digital synthesisers which can also now be bought as a software version. There's next to no difference in sound, if any at all, and certainly the hardware one isn't any more human sounding than the software one. I also doubt that anyone could tell the difference between parts I've recorded straight to audio and those which have been recorded to a high resolution sequencer first. I therefore contend that there's no difference between playing a digital hardware synthesiser straight to tape/disk and playing a software synthesiser via a part sequenced from the same MIDI controller (apart, perhaps, from latency issues). Analogue synthesisers are something else, of course...

I think the problem with this discussion is that the line between musician and composer/creator is being blurred. A synth is a synth, much like a guitar is a guitar--it's all in how you use it, just as Korgscrew said. Someone can be a great keyboardist, just as someone can be a great guitarist. As for the human aspect--it's rather insensible to go with the mind-set of having to own or have access to every instrument you could possibly ever need in order to create music.

Julie.

--------------
http://www.myspace.com/twilighttide
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: May 16 2005, 15:04

Quote (Ecco @ May 16 2005, 14:34)
Also, don't forget that Mike has a history of using the latest technologies in very musically tasteful ways, i.e. the vocorder--which usually sounds ridiculous when used by other musicians--in 'Five Miles Out', the album.

Including the singing mosquito??

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: May 16 2005, 15:21

Yes, but then Five Miles Out is viewed to be one of the albums that Mike had a lot more... fun on than others. Anyway, that's detracting from the point.

The main point that I'd like to make is that no matter what Mike has released, somebody somewhere has liked it. I think we can safely say that'll happen again, and let's hope it happens to more of us than we think. (preconception can ruin your image of music just as it can everything else - perhaps it's best to be void of prejudice until we actually hear the thing - several times over!;)

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: May 16 2005, 17:45

Quote (Navaira @ May 16 2005, 07:21)
Mike's new album should be called "Kylie".

ok, and i`ll take all the "bum" notes!!!   :D

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: May 16 2005, 19:00

Quote (arron11196 @ May 16 2005, 21:21)
The main point that I'd like to make is that no matter what Mike has released, somebody somewhere has liked it. I think we can safely say that'll happen again...

Yes, hopefully Mike will surely like it. ;)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 16 2005, 20:05

Quote (TOBY @ May 17 2005, 02:56)
On the subject of the album title and in answer to Raven4x4x. Where exactly in my post did I suggest the title 'Quicksilver' was not relevant to the music? I ASKED (directed at Mike) whether or not it was relevant to the music. I think you read my post wrong chap.

Perhaps I did, but something about the way you said "I'd like to think more thought goes into album titles than just trying to come up with the first vaguely dynamic, vaguely windswept, vaguely cool sounding word that comes into Mike's head" strongly suggested to me that you thought that Quicksilver was just that. I don't mind the title myself, but it may turn out to be nothing more than a working title.

On the virtual vocalist thing, I would tend to withold judgement until I know what Mike plans to do with them. If / when he releases a sample perhaps it will include some of them, then we'll be able to judge.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 16 2005, 20:23

Quote (Ecco @ May 16 2005, 20:34)

Excuse me? The vocoder was used way back in the 60's, noticable by a woman (a man back than) called Wendy Carlos. She was one of the early synthesizer users. Even the early roots of the vocoder can be found back in 1940, so Mike wasn't the lastest user. And a vocoder doesn't usually sound ridiculous, it's brillianty used by Wendy Carlos and I can name a few others.

I agree with Korgscrew that it is more creative with how you use your equipment rather than which equipment you use. But (and  now I start the famous discussion which Korgscrew also mentioned) I feel that analog equipment (and synthesizers in particular) are more human and warmer than digital equipment. Sure, digital is more reliable and can sound great, but I feel more warmth and human in analogue recordings. I was just listening to Sallyangie and I'm just so sad those times (Mike's 60/70's years) are over. He even admitted he played better guitar back then.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Ecco Offline

Posted: May 16 2005, 21:50

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ May 16 2005, 20:23)

Excuse me? The vocoder was used way back in the 60's, noticable by a woman (a man back than) called Wendy Carlos. She was one of the early synthesizer users. Even the early roots of the vocoder can be found back in 1940, so Mike wasn't the lastest user. And a vocoder doesn't usually sound ridiculous, it's brillianty used by Wendy Carlos and I can name a few others.

You're excused... I'm quite familiar with Wendy/Walter's work. I actually share all the Switched on Bach albums (LPs) with Tony. However, my point was that Mike works well with whatever equipment is at his disposal, not whether or not he was the first person to record the vocorder.

Julie.

--------------
http://www.myspace.com/twilighttide
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 17 2005, 13:42

Raven 4x4x, you're quite right I do have a strong suspicion that Mike only chose this title because it sounds 'vaguely' cool, windswept, and whatever else. Not that that is necessarily the end of the world of course but if he's wanting to know our opinions on using Quicksilver as a possible title then I'm just wanting to know where he's coming from with it, what it means and how it relates to the music, if at all. Mike has said in the past he finds it difficult to come up with titles to instrumental tracks, and he's not alone, I read an interview with the Chemical Brothers where they said a similar thing. I guess I'm just someone who likes to have at least some meaning if not just an interesting word or phrase for a title. For example both Amarok and Ommadawn sound mysterious and enigmatic, so it suits the music within very well. There's no real meaning there but at least both those words conjure up something. I'm not sure Quicksilver really captures my imagination in any way or conjures up anything, personaly I think Mike could do a lot better.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: May 17 2005, 14:47

Quote (Ecco @ May 16 2005, 21:50)
You're excused... I'm quite familiar with Wendy/Walter's work. I actually share all the Switched on Bach albums (LPs) with Tony.

Do you have WW's "TRON" by the way?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: May 17 2005, 15:36

Toby i don't think you'll get your answer for another 4 months or so!  I think we need to remember he is still to come up with Album title and Quicksilver is just one of his options!

I think if he was to suggest "dog shit" as his album title we would all be concerned!
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: May 17 2005, 16:40

Quote (Chicular @ May 17 2005, 20:36)
I think if he was to suggest "dog shit" as his album title we would all be concerned!

Id be more concerned if it was "cat shit", sloppy with no substance.   :/

--------------
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: May 17 2005, 17:07

OK, it seems that little ppl has actually suggested a name for the album. Here is mine:

SPARTACUS!!!

(exclamations included, of course)

Now tell me that it does not sound powerful :P

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
Ratty Offline

Posted: May 17 2005, 17:15

Quote (^NabLa^ @ May 17 2005, 22:07)
SPARTACUS!!!

(exclamations included, of course)

Now tell me that it does not sound powerful :P

It does not sound powerful!!!! Sorry, couldn`t resist that.

It reminds me of Jeff Waynes follow up to War of the Worlds with Catherine Zeta Jones on vocals!! Which, it has to be said...was rubbish. So for me its a no no.

--------------
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: May 17 2005, 17:45

Eh? There was a follow up?? WHAT???

REALLY???

OH MY GOD!!!

Please tell me all you know!! (In a PM or another thread, don't wanna steal this one...  ;)

Thanks,

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Eliz1776 Offline

Posted: May 17 2005, 19:06

Happy to hear a new album is on its way!  :)

As for the title, I think Mike wrote that tongue in cheek.
Profile PM 
226 replies since May 13 2005, 08:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (12) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net