Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "Don't you know we're not Virgin"?, How did Mike get away with it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 18 2012, 18:37

@ J1Star: as I said, the company was no longer Branson's when  HO was released. And "Make Make" is a satirical song.

About the Michael/Mike/Mick/Mickey thing, I think there was a painter called Michael Jackson. Genesis, at the very start of their career, made some music for a documentary about him. He was usually known as Mick Jackson. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: April 21 2012, 10:00

I'd forgotten where it was that I'd seen Tati's observation about intimates calling him Michael - cheers for the reminder, J1Star.

A few thoughts, which probably cropped up when I first read this too - I'm just making my excuses before I run the risk of crossing swords with Ugo!  :D  The sale of Virgin to Thorn EMI wasn't completed until 1992, so points of protest were still valid, unless there's a concrete date where Richard Branson started to distance himself from the company.  Certainly, the old guard must have been in charge at the time he was recording some of it.  Simon Draper avoided crashing his Lamborghini, fortunately! :laugh:

MIckey Dolenz not rock and roll enough for anybody?  We, the human race, do seem to like diminutives and we find shortcuts for just about every name. Whether we like to take them on board is another matter, but Mike's been Mike since Sallyangie - plenty of time to have changed it if he really wished to.

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: May 23 2012, 04:04

Quote (CJJC @ Sep. 15 2010, 06:38)
Quote (El Mystico @ June 05 2009, 06:16)
I'd heard that the name change was a response to his sister Sally calling herself Natasha on her latest album

Nah, you're thinking of Natasha Bedingfield and her brother Daniel.

No that is right, Mike and Tom changed there names to Michael and Thom in satirical reference to Sally changing her name on her then most recent album. I read about that years before Daniel Bedingfield came onto the scene.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
22 replies since Mar. 23 2008, 16:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net