Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "Don't you know we're not Virgin"?, How did Mike get away with it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Modeler Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 16:28

This album is a bit of an enigma in general. He assumes the name "Michael Oldfield" in order to distance himself from it, although my opinion the songs are superior to Earth Moving. Mike's vocals aren't too shabby either, considering he's not a professional singer per se.

There are so many blatant swipes at Virgin on this album, I don't understand why they put it out. Maybe they just saw fit to let Mike have his "revenge" if you can call it that. I just looked for the message at the end of "Music from the Balcony" and sure enough it is there, in fact it sounds very Father Jack - more of a "FECK ORFFF!!!" - class! :D

--------------
Doo dom dop
Doodily doop n'dop n'dop
A-doodily doo dom dop
Doodily doop n'dop n'dop

Man, they don't write songs like that any more...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 20:12

That song, "Make Make", was intended as a satire of the discographic market and music business in general, and the fact that Mike openly names Virgin just makes it more satirical, IMHO. I guess Virgin published the album because it was Mike's last one with them ... a sort of "Let's get him off our bollocks" attitude. :D Anyway, Viirgin Music wasn't owned any longer by Branson, by then - EMI owned it. And maybe people at EMI actually liked "Make Make" and the rest of HO, who knows? :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2008, 10:26

I shall be having a listen to that when i get home tonight.I knew about the Amarok (yay spelt it right first time!!!)F*ck Off RB but din't know that there's this at the end of MFTB.
Cool,learnt something today.Cheers. :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 01 2008, 09:31

I listened to it on saturday night and ,despite my 'relaxed'state (or is that "Altered State"?guffaw)and by God there it is.A definate F*ck off"!
 Cheers Modeler-this made my day!!!

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 05 2008, 21:18

Being of the Michael persuasion myself,when this album first came out I thought to myself..At last the guy has finally seen the light regarding the whole name thing.Can`t say I`ve ever been too keen on the "Mike" monicker myself even in the seventies."Mick" is all well and good, and I don`t mind "Mickey" either when it comes down to it.But for some reason "Mike" really gets my bloody back up.That said it`s a damn site better than "Gordon".Or "Dirk"(what the hell was I thinking about?)...Apologies to all Gordon`s and Dirk`s out there btw,I`m sure you`re all lovely people.

So on the whole Virgin thing here maybe the intended message was that "he was taking the Michael."Whichever way you want to look at that I suppose.Also "Mick" or "Mickey" would have worked just fine there as well of course.But nobody "takes the Mike."Come on man that would have just been crazy talk.   ;)

I listened to this album quite recently for the first time in ages.And apart from Heaven`s Open(fantastic song one of his best for me)and Make Make,which is kind of ok I suppose.I could`nt really get past about a minute of the other songs without checking my own pulse to make sure I was still alive.Just not my cup of tea at all I`m sorry people.

Mike`s vocals are not too bad for the most part.The first time I heard Heaven`s Open the single on the radio I actually thought he`d got Barry Palmer back there to be honest.I think Mike tried a little bit too hard with the affectations though sometimes.Especially that No Dream track where he came accross like Mark Hollis going through a mincer to me.Really painfull.Fair play to him for finally giving it a proper go himself though.

Music From The Balcony on the other hand I completely loved.I`ve always quite liked this track and as many people have said before it`s got a lot of similarities with Amarok in some ways.But listening again just recently was like being re-aquainted with an old friend that you maybe did`nt fully appreciate till they were gone for a while.Great piece of music.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 06 2008, 00:57

Quote (Dirk Star @ April 05 2008, 21:18)
Being of the Michael persuasion myself,when this album first came out I thought to myself..At last the guy has finally seen the light regarding the whole name thing.Can`t say I`ve ever been too keen on the "Mike" monicker myself even in the seventies."Mick" is all well and good, and I don`t mind "Mickey" either when it comes down to it.But for some reason "Mike" really gets my bloody back up.

My preference...

1) Michael - Beyond reproach.
2) Mike - I don't see anything wrong with this. In fact, I've had several male acquaintances remark that they'd rather be a 'Mike' than their own name. The only downside is it's commonality.
3) Mick - This isn't too bad, but it lacks the cool factor of 'Mike'. 'Mick', to me, is more like a little brother with sticky fingers.
4) Mickey - I don't like this one at all. I don't think my feelings are entirely due to the 'Mickey Mouse' association, but I expect a large part of it is. Which isn't logical, really, since I'm not exactly anti-Disney. Meh.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: April 06 2008, 05:42

Quote (Dirk Star @ April 06 2008, 01:18)
Being of the Michael persuasion myself,when this album first came out I thought to myself..At last the guy has finally seen the light regarding the whole name thing.Can`t say I`ve ever been too keen on the "Mike" monicker myself even in the seventies."Mick" is all well and good, and I don`t mind "Mickey" either when it comes down to it.But for some reason "Mike" really gets my bloody back up.That said it`s a damn site better than "Gordon".Or "Dirk"(what the hell was I thinking about?)...Apologies to all Gordon`s and Dirk`s out there btw,I`m sure you`re all lovely people.

I'd have to disagree with you  on the Mike/Michael thing Dirk Star, but agree on Gordon. To  me Gordon sounds like an arrogant politician,who doesn't listen to the people  apologies to my old neighbour Gordon.  My Dad was Michael, but commonly known as Mick, or "Uncle Mike" to my cousins.

To me I for some reason Michael makes me think of crooners or balladeers :O, and that is what Mr Oldfield is definitely not, I can't think of any Michaels in rock music apart from REM's Mr Stipe.

I think Mick is pure Rock and Roll, Fmous Micks in music, Abrahams of Jethro Tull and Blodwyn Pig, of course there were two Micks in The Rolling Stones 1969-75 with Jagger and Taylor, Mick Box (Uriah Heep), Mick Jones (The Clash), Mick Ronson - (David BowieSpiders from Mars era), Mick Ralphs (Bad Company) , Mick Avory (drummer with The  Kinks), Mick Fleetwood John Mayall's Bluesbreakers and Fleetwood Mac, Mick Underwood, Episode Six with Roger Glover of Deep Purple also Quatermass and Gillan, Mick Mars (Motley Crue).
Mike still Rock and Roll , but not as common as Mick,  Mikes in rock music, other than Mr Oldfield, Mike Rutherford (Genesis),   Mike Scott (The Waterboys), Mike Mc Cready (Pearl Jam) Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), Mike Love (The Beach Boys).
To me Mickey sounds like a Cockney cheeky chappie, the only Mickey I can think of in rock music was ironically Newcastle born    Mickey Gallagher, he replaced Alan Price on keyboards in the Animals when he went solo, he was also a member of Ian Dury and The Blockheads,and he still plays with The Blockheads , and also "The Animals and Friends" with former Animals drummer John Steele. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki....herhttp
I rest my case that Mick or Mike is the most Rock and Roll . :)

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 06 2008, 09:08

[quote=moonchildhippy,April 06 2008, 05:42][/quote]
I rest my case that Mick or Mike is the most Rock and Roll

:D Well you make a very strong case for the defence I have to agree.Newcastle born Mickey Gallagher can be heard loud and clear on Ian Dury`s I Wanna Be Straight.."I`m Mickey" heh heh..The only other one I can think of off the top of my head would be Mickey Finn from T Rex.Like you say there`s loads of Mick`s in rock n` roll,Mick Jones from The Clash is another one that springs to mind here.And I dare say there`d be a good deal more if I put my mind to it.

Apart from Mike Scott from the Waterboys there though,there`s not many of those "Mike" guys that have sprung up within the last 30 years or so is there?(Mike Frye the percussionist from FMO...  :p )I just think it`s a little bit old fashioned I suppose.I dare say it`ll come back into vogue again at some point though.I don`t really have a problem with other people being called Mike,I`m just not particularly fond of it when I get called Mike myself.I guess deep down inside I`m just not rock n` roll enough. ;)
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 06 2008, 09:31

Quote (Sweetpea @ April 06 2008, 00:57)
Quote (Dirk Star @ April 05 2008, 21:18)
Being of the Michael persuasion myself,when this album first came out I thought to myself..At last the guy has finally seen the light regarding the whole name thing.Can`t say I`ve ever been too keen on the "Mike" monicker myself even in the seventies."Mick" is all well and good, and I don`t mind "Mickey" either when it comes down to it.But for some reason "Mike" really gets my bloody back up.

My preference...

1) Michael - Beyond reproach.
2) Mike - I don't see anything wrong with this. In fact, I've had several male acquaintances remark that they'd rather be a 'Mike' than their own name. The only downside is it's commonality.
3) Mick - This isn't too bad, but it lacks the cool factor of 'Mike'. 'Mick', to me, is more like a little brother with sticky fingers.
4) Mickey - I don't like this one at all. I don't think my feelings are entirely due to the 'Mickey Mouse' association, but I expect a large part of it is. Which isn't logical, really, since I'm not exactly anti-Disney. Meh.

I think that Mike is maybe still more acceptable stateside.Plus it`s a whole working class/regional thing for me as well.Moonchildhippy mentions Mickey Gallagher from Newcastle there which is pretty close to where I`m from.So most of the time I`ll get either Mick or Mickey round these parts.Almost nobody round here uses Mike anymore,and to be honest I can`t ever remember it being popular at all.My wife is probablly the only person that calls me Michael.But then she`s always been of a different class anyway.
Profile PM 
El Mystico Offline

Posted: June 05 2009, 06:16

I'd heard that the name change was a response to his sister Sally calling herself Natasha on her latest album. He said something like "I'm changing my name too then". Note also (if I remember correctly) that Tom Newman became Thom.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 05 2009, 12:58

I had a colleague at university that his name is Mike(not Michael) and I found it very curious,since Mike is one of the possible nicknames for Michael.

Curious that many of Mike's friends call him Michael a lot of times,I don't feel myself confortable with Mike,I prefer Michael a hundred times more than Mike in his case...sometimes I even refer to him as Michael Gordon,Michael to me reminds me of a shy person,Mike would remind a very outgoing person...but for me,Mike is the musician and composer,and Michael Gordon,the person he is everyday.

In Heaven's Open,the fact he chose to sing lead and it's not something that you remind of Mike Oldfield at the very first place...so Michael Oldfield can sing,and unlike Mike Oldfield,used to wear a fake earring on his left ear(Mike has the right ear pierced in the past).

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 05 2009, 20:17

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ June 05 2009, 12:58)
I had a colleague at university that his name is Mike(not Michael) and I found it very curious,since Mike is one of the possible nicknames for Michael.

Curious that many of Mike's friends call him Michael a lot of times,I don't feel myself confortable with Mike,I prefer Michael a hundred times more than Mike in his case...sometimes I even refer to him as Michael Gordon,Michael to me reminds me of a shy person,Mike would remind a very outgoing person...but for me,Mike is the musician and composer,and Michael Gordon,the person he is everyday.

In Heaven's Open,the fact he chose to sing lead and it's not something that you remind of Mike Oldfield at the very first place...so Michael Oldfield can sing,and unlike Mike Oldfield,used to wear a fake earring on his left ear(Mike has the right ear pierced in the past).

If someone is christened with an abbreviated name it usually reflects on the ignorance of the parents. I know someone who was christened 'jamie' rather than 'james'. As for the name 'Mike', well, it's also an abbreviation of 'microphone', isn't it? Perhaps Mr Oldfield rather likes to share the name of a piece of studio equipment!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 08 2009, 10:13

A curious thought.Better to be named after a microphone than many other peices of studio equipment Tati.For example Mike used a drum machine called a Claptrap on QE2  :laugh:

I'm called Daniel Fear.I really don't like the name Daniel in full as i was named after the Elton John song of the same name and i dislike Elton John's music in a big way.Dunno why but there you go.So everyone calls me Dan which i much prefer.However for some reason i'm known on the local music scene as Danny Fear.I haven't encouraged this as i have never referred to myself as Danny because i prefer Dan but try as i might to change it to Dan i still get called Danny.
 At least now i'm older and a fair bit taller (although still short at 5 foot 7) i don't get call Little Danny Fear anymore! :laugh:

Regarding Heavens Open and the Michael name i heard he changed it as he wanted to disassociate himself from it in some way so it wasn't a 'Mike' Oldfield record.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 08 2009, 19:53

Quote (The Caveman @ June 08 2009, 10:13)
A curious thought.Better to be named after a microphone than many other peices of studio equipment Tati.

I'm called Daniel Fear.I really don't like the name Daniel in full as i was named after the Elton John song of the same name and i dislike Elton John's music in a big way.Dunno why but there you go.So everyone calls me Dan which i much prefer.However for some reason i'm known on the local music scene as Danny Fear.I haven't encouraged this as i have never referred to myself as Danny because i prefer Dan but try as i might to change it to Dan i still get called Danny.
 At least now i'm older and a fair bit taller (although still short at 5 foot 7) i don't get call Little Danny Fear anymore! :laugh:

Regarding Heavens Open and the Michael name i heard he changed it as he wanted to disassociate himself from it in some way so it wasn't a 'Mike' Oldfield record.

Actually, I - nightspore - made this observation, Mr Fear. (That sounds a bit like Mr Shame!!;) My name is Daniel too, but while I hate the Elton John song as well, my existence has no connection with it,and so I prefer to be called Daniel as well. (Dan's OK,but Danny never!;)
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 09 2009, 02:49

That funny Alan Partridge sketch Dan Dan Dan!! comes to mind again  :D

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 09 2009, 02:51

"Oh Danny boy the pipes the pipes are calling".. :p Could`nt resist it guys I do apologise.Caveman given your Irish roots I actualy thought Old Danny Boy,would`ve been the inspiration for your name.Ah wrong again Mikey old chap.

We named our eldest son Daniel,just because we both liked the name really.Made a pleasent change for us both to agree on something so we kind of siezed it with both hands so`s to speak.Daniel the song???Hmmm yeah I`m kind of ambivalent about it I think.I used to quite like Elton in his early days before he started shouting his head off on everything for no apparent reason.I mean they`re not even his own words for crying out loud,what the hell is he getting so irate about?Mr Dwight played an open-air gig less than a mile from my house a year or so back.Loud as hell he was,I thought the "sun was never gonna` go down".
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 09 2009, 07:05

Sorry nightspore.
And Dirk Star my Grandad did used to sing Danny Boy to me when i was very small.More recently i did a gig and one of the guys in the band on before me started singing "Oh Danny Boy the pipe the pipe is calling".Damned if i know what he meant! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 10 2009, 04:46

Quote (The Caveman @ June 08 2009, 10:13)
i was named after the Elton John song of the same name and i dislike Elton John's music in a big way.

To be fair to Elton, he's done a lot for the gay community - for example, his song "Don't let your son go down on me".  :laugh:
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2010, 06:38

Quote (El Mystico @ June 05 2009, 06:16)
I'd heard that the name change was a response to his sister Sally calling herself Natasha on her latest album

Nah, you're thinking of Natasha Bedingfield and her brother Daniel.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
J1Star Offline

Posted: April 10 2012, 11:04

On the subject of 'How did he get away with it', I think a more adequate question would be 'how the heck did Branson have the balls to allow the release of such a blatant middle-finger under his companys' name?'.

Also, the only thing I am enjoying about this album is the knowledge that it's MO doing the vocals. I'm sorta blanking out everything else. :P
Profile PM 
22 replies since Mar. 23 2008, 16:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net