Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Don Alfonso lyrics, I'm perfectly willing to try fully beff!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 01 2010, 12:56

I'm not certain whom copied who - as most of the lyrics sites I've braved are eerily similar to one another I have my suspicions - but the lyrics quoted on this admirable Tubular Net bear a closer look.  If already covered, I hang my head in shame for my perfunctory research.

The fact that the world of internet lyrics has "Affraid" and "Kill Si Bull" I've been able to accept as possibly correct as affectations of the original author (if we have ever established that identity  - I read that topic at least!;).  Less easily ignored is the misquotation of "Bully Beef" by the tantalising dish of "Fully Beff".

The British version of corned beef - minced beef with gelatin added, typically sourced from Brazil, Uraguay and Argentina - has long had the alternative name of bully beef, from the French bouilli for "bolied".  Cheers, Wikipedia!  Certainly common in British households if written in the 40's or when those choosing and singing the song were growing up.

It's certainly what I heard sung when I got my Platinum Collection, and a bit of that is more worn out than it was after the doubts raised here.  My sanity was partly-restored by "Not Totally Tubular" from the Articles section [Dave Thompson, Goldmine, July 18, 1997].  He may misquote it himself, and I've just seen one original or transcribed Hertfordshire instead of Herefordshire, but god bless him, he heard "bully  beef" too.  And I had it for tea on Sunday, with boiled rice, peas and new potatoes.  Lovely!

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2010, 17:04

Enchanting story, can I have that for my Tea this Sunday?  My grandmother always said try and eat one cooked meal a day but what with being busy I sometimes don't do that.

Nice to meet you  by the way 'Newbie Tubie'.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2010, 09:31

Thank you, Silver Negus, nice to be here, as haphazardly infrequent as my visits may be.  I've been putting off joining forums of any type for years owing to my non-ownership of a computer, but I've finally snapped!

And thanks of course for the lyrics adjustment, Mr or Ms Tubular Net :)

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2021, 20:30

If Mike sees himself as a bullfighter, he better watch out. If you rearrange the letters "Goodrem" in Delta Goodrem's name you get "MO GORED".  :p
Profile PM 
3 replies since Nov. 01 2010, 12:56 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net