Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Dolphin's World?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
familyman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 21 2010, 11:23

Just been following some of the points in the new thread about the pearl shell. Well, the shell didn't work for me, but I went round the island after collecting the fourth ring randomly shooting pearls, and suddenly appeared in the Dolphins game, but with no music (I guess it would have started if I had gone to the ray). I could then travel all the way to the main island and up to the volcano (no daliphants though). I will try it again and see if I can find the way in properly.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if I had just missed something about it in the guide?

Cheers,
familyman  :)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 21 2010, 18:14

Well, familyman, it seems like you've just found another bug - and consequently another unofficial world! Maybe you should tell this to Alan D., if (and when) he shows up. :) However, the "proper" way to get to the Dolphins Game via the clam (with full musical score and everything), thus skipping the short trip with the ray, is - only now I actually did remember it - to trap three pearls within the clam, not one. As soon as you get the third one in, you're with the dolphins. If you reached the Dolphins Game with no music by shooting random pearls, you probably did manage to trap three pearls into the clam without actually meaning to, and without doing that in the "proper" way prescribed by the game's programming - thus opening up the bug. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 21 2010, 21:13

Quote (familyman @ April 21 2010, 11:23)
Just been following some of the points in the new thread about the pearl shell. Well, the shell didn't work for me, but I went round the island after collecting the fourth ring randomly shooting pearls, and suddenly appeared in the Dolphins game, but with no music (I guess it would have started if I had gone to the ray). I could then travel all the way to the main island and up to the volcano (no daliphants though). I will try it again and see if I can find the way in properly.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if I had just missed something about it in the guide?

Cheers,
familyman  :)

Yes, I fired pearls randomly (until Ugo advised what had to be done), and eventually three must have lodged, because I was then with the dolphins. I persisted with the dolphin game, though - wish I'd thought to explore the volcano!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 22 2010, 10:48

Familyman, twenty four hours later and I've tried to duplicate your excursion to the volcano. Unfortunately, this time around I couldn't even get any effect from shooting pearls - no entry to the Dolphins, and no "Turtle Island" when the turtle is pinged. I suspect that the program for TL is extremely fragile and the slightest little thing will alter details slightly.

Open question: occasionally in the game you see little falling musical notes, which quickly fade to nothing. Can anything be done with them?
Profile PM 
familyman Offline

Posted: April 22 2010, 12:24

Just tried it again with no luck  :(
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 22 2010, 19:22

Quote (nightspore @ April 22 2010, 16:48)
Familyman, twenty four hours later and I've tried to duplicate your excursion to the volcano. Unfortunately, this time around I couldn't even get any effect from shooting pearls - no entry to the Dolphins, and no "Turtle Island" when the turtle is pinged. I suspect that the program for TL is extremely fragile and the slightest little thing will alter details slightly.

Open question: occasionally in the game you see little falling musical notes, which quickly fade to nothing. Can anything be done with them?

The program indeed has lots of little programming bugs, which in fact allow the so-called "unofficial worlds" to exist, i.e. whenever a particular game is started, the program switches the entire 3L environment into the environment that's required for that particular game, without caring whether the player is actually playing the game or not. So, for example, there is a special way of triggering the Ants' Labyrinth game without actually entering the labyrinth itself - if you do that, the program switches to the environmental setting for that game, unofficially referred to as "Ants World", which is very much empty (everything in the usual 3L world is a stark black & white with little or no features), because, in that moment, the program is only caring about creating the ants' labyrinth, not the rest of the 3L world. In the same way, each of the games creates its own "unofficial world", which is developed from the very same kind of programming bugs. There's an entire section called "Unofficial Worlds" within the 3L guide, here on the tubular.net board. :)

Regarding the falling notes, well, no, you can't do anything with them, and you're not supposed to, either. :) They're just one of the many ornamental elements featured in 3L.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
5 replies since April 21 2010, 11:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net