Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Does the choir sing "We are home"..., ...in Platinum Part 4?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 18 2006, 07:48

This is kind-of-spurred by hearing the remastered version of Platinum Part 4 (North Star) on disc 1 of the Platinum Collection. What does the choir sing on North Star? Does it sing any lyrics? Ever since the very first time I've listened to the piece, I've always heard that as "We are home", which sounds very sensible to me. :) Is it really what's being sung?
Also, who sings the vocals in that choir? Is it a multi-tracked recording of Wendy Roberts (à la Adiemus) or is there anyone else?

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2006, 08:18

I think I read here or somewhere that the original Philip Glass words were 'We are home', but it sounds better when they are left ambiguous like those in Hergest Ridge.

It sounds like a whiney classical male voice similar to the one in 'Speak thou' you say farewell'. David Bedford could be part of the chorus but I don't know for sure if he's credited on Platinum.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2006, 09:28

I think it sounds more like "I A O".
BTW Philip Glass' "North Star" album is great. I bought in on a sale when I was 12. I only come to appreciate it recently. I just wasn't ready at the time!

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2006, 10:34

Quote (larstangmark @ Mar. 18 2006, 16:28)
I think it sounds more like "I A O".
BTW Philip Glass' "North Star" album is great. I bought in on a sale when I was 12. I only come to appreciate it recently. I just wasn't ready at the time!

Lars T

I'm pretty certain there are no real lyrics there, just human voices used as instruments, so to say. Glass did lot of that around the late 70's/early 80's.
Profile PM WEB 
kuraaka Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2008, 14:48

Actually, my interpretation would be 'viina joo' (as this is what I would like to hear when I'm listening to that track), which in Estonian (I'm from Estonia) simply means  'drink vodka'.  :)
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2008, 15:47

I've always heard "we are all", still I'm pretty sure the lyrics are meant to be meaningless.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2008, 06:06

I'm not even going to hazard a guess Ugo, after my total inability to work out the two word lyric in Angelique  ;)
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2009, 15:04

Just Noticed Today This Track "North Star"  makes the 6 Music Freak Zone   Playlist  !!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/freakzone/a_z.shtml

Back to the Subject "We are Home" gets my Vote.. Yeah Certain of it .. :D

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2010, 20:26

In the 67 number of the New Zealand Magazine "Control Z" they affirm Mike used the band 'Gong' for a few tracks, that Phil Collins asked for a chance for playing in 'Platinum' and it was denied, that Mike himself sung and spoke the male words all over the album, and that the choir at 'North Star/Platinum Finale" which was originally written by Philip Glass, chanted 'Wear Horns / We are Bored' at the end of the number, informed Ignacio Prini Garcia.

You can find it for yourself surprisingly at http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0014411

Good luck for you.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2010, 04:10

Quote (Delfín @ Feb. 16 2010, 20:26)
In the 67 number of the New Zealand Magazine "Control Z" they affirm Mike used the band 'Gong' for a few tracks, that Phil Collins asked for a chance for playing in 'Platinum' and it was denied, that Mike himself sung and spoke the male words all over the album, and that the choir at 'North Star/Platinum Finale" which was originally written by Philip Glass, chanted 'Wear Horns / We are Bored' at the end of the number, informed Ignacio Prini Garcia.

You can find it for yourself surprisingly at http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0014411

Good luck for you.

Even more surprisingly it's not there. I only find Tubular Bells for ZX Spectrum, and I'm really curious about the article you mention.

BTW I remember having Tubular Bells for Commodore 64!

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2010, 04:37

I had North Star out the library about ten years ago,and I`m sure the "lyrics" were printed inside.From memory I think they were similar to what Lars says here either "I A O" or "Eee Yaa Oh" as it sounds I guess.Maybe I`m wrong?

Mike and company singing "We are bored" live sounds like another example of  The Vivian Stanshall influence.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2010, 15:35

Ha ha,excuse me my friends. You should have known me by now already:

No New Zealand magazine called "Control Z", no article about Platinum there, no request from Phil Collins about playing in 'Platinum', no "Wear Horns / We Are Bored" chant at the end of Platinum, not such a Spanish guy called Delfín, I'm just Mike spending some time in the Bahamas just killing time with my laptop at the beach, and just kidding a little bit with you all.

I leave u!!!! gonna have a swim before I go back to my studio!!!!!!!!!

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2010, 09:34

As far as i know Wendy Roberts sang Into Wonderland and I Got Rhythm in Denham at Mike's studio and (i think)North Star was done in the States at either Blue Rock or Electric Lady (Not Electric Ladyland as some people insist on calling it-poor Jimi probably spins in his grave everytime)so i guess the choir comes from there.There's a mix of male and female voices.One of which could be MIke
 As for what they sing i hear "eeee aaaa ooooo".Could be "we are home" though.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2010, 20:27

Quote (Delfín @ Feb. 17 2010, 15:35)
Ha ha,excuse me my friends. You should have known me by now already:

No New Zealand magazine called "Control Z", no article about Platinum there, no request from Phil Collins about playing in 'Platinum', no "Wear Horns / We Are Bored" chant at the end of Platinum, not such a Spanish guy called Delfín, I'm just Mike spending some time in the Bahamas just killing time with my laptop at the beach, and just kidding a little bit with you all.

I leave u!!!! gonna have a swim before I go back to my studio!!!!!!!!!

Hmm - and putting on my detective hat here - the syntax sounds to me definitely like that of a European to whom English is a second language. Eg No one who has English as a first language would say "I leave you". Such a person would say "I will leave you" or "I'm going to leave you".
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2010, 19:09

You have discovery me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :(  :(  :(  :(  ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2010, 11:10

Just found this as I was checking if anyone had asked the question.

In the same way that I hear the phrase in "Angelique" (which I assume is meant to be the word "Angelique") as "bugger me" then it may come as no surprise that the only thing I can ever hear at the end of Platinum pt 4 is a choir singing "Be a Whore".

Admittedly, this isn't very likely but ever since my first hearing I've never been able to discern it as anything else.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2010, 19:56

Quote (CJJC @ Sep. 05 2010, 17:10)
In the same way that I hear the phrase in "Angelique" (which I assume is meant to be the word "Angelique") as "bugger me" then it may come as no surprise that the only thing I can ever hear at the end of Platinum pt 4 is a choir singing "Be a Whore".

Haha, this should go in the misheard lyrics thread, somewhere here on tubular.net... together with that other mondegreen (I don't recall by which member) which consisted in the phrase "Far above the clouds" being heard (in the bit of the song where it repeats itself over and over) as "Fucking her once". :laugh:

However, I'm glad you agree with me that there is an H-sound at the beginning of the third "word", which could be really anything starting with "ho" - yes, including "whore". :)

BTW, the voice in "Angelique" is really meant to be saying Angelique. But what it does say is An-gay-leek. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2010, 20:52

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 05 2010, 19:56)
BTW, the voice in "Angelique" is really meant to be saying Angelique. But what it does say is An-gay-leek. :D

The very last, barely audible "angelique" can be heard as saying what it's supposed to.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 05 2010, 21:20

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 18 2006, 21:48)
I've always heard that as "We are home"

I think i'll have to back Ugo on this one (thats a shock :) ).
The Viareggio Booty confirms this to my ears.
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2010, 05:48

But then there's EEEEE AAAAAHHH OOOOHHHHH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZcrLCM7T7k

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
37 replies since Mar. 18 2006, 07:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net