Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: does TB2003 DVD A have any images ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
zinc Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 27 2004, 17:57

Hi all. When i think about DVDs i imagine high quality sound and images together. Might sound like a dumb question but are there any images on the new TB2003 DVD to look at whilst the music is played or is it just a super quality audio CD. In which case why release it as a DVD ? Also can ths be played on  normal CD player ?
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 28 2004, 07:21

When i think about DVDs i imagine high quality sound and images together.
Not necessarily. Note that 'V' stands for 'versatile', i.e. multi-purpose, not 'video'. DVD is basically just a storage medium for digital data, just with much higher capacity (several GB, compared to 700MB for CD).
are there any images on the new TB2003 DVD to look at whilst the music is played
Haven't seen it (nor any other DVD-A, until I get me a DVD-A capable player some day), but I assume there's some on-screen menu with still pictures to select the tracks and bonus material, similar to the bonus-DVD that came with the CD release of TB2003.
or is it just a super quality audio CD
Kind of... DVD-A (like SACD) uses the bigger capacity of the DVD medium almost completely (ignoring bonus video tracks and artwork) to store audio data uncompressed (i.e. no lossy MPEG compression as for DVD-video audio tracks), with up to 6 channels (compared to 2 on CD), up to 96kHz sample rate (44 kHz on CD) and up to 24bit/sample resolution (16bit for CD)
In which case why release it as a DVD
Read the numbers above - with all bells and whistles, this means approx. 20 times as much data as for a CD-Audio of the same playing time.
Also can ths be played on  normal CD player ?
No way. Only chance would be a normal DVD player, since most DVD-A (marked as 'plays on any DVD player';) contain also DTS/Dolby Digital mixes that can be played by any normal video DVD player.
zinc Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 28 2004, 08:13

:)
Thanks for all this. Certainly helpful to know.
Am expecting my copy on friday from Play . com
Zinc
Profile PM 
2 replies since Jan. 27 2004, 17:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net