Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Does Mike still have the clean guitar tracks?, He should re-mix them with "Guitar Rig"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
pantofis Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 19 2006, 12:55

The "Guitars" album has always striked me as busy, clinic and cheap. Great tunes for sure. But it mostly sounds as if done on a laptop with the electric guitars squeezed through some "amp-farm"-like amp-plugin.
Nowadays there are really impressive and convincing amp-plugins. If Mike Oldfield still has the clean gutar tracks, he could remix them with something better. And maybe add some better sounding drums.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2006, 07:14

There are no drums!!  The drum sounds were made with Guitars.  Thats the point of Guitars.  It was a challenge to create a who album with  JUST Guitar.

I think that Mike doesnt realise sometimes how people would just like to hear him play guitar.  He could record a whole days worth of playing and doodling about on an acoustic or an electric (but both would be better) and it would probably be the most popular thing he could do right now.

I think remixing Guitars would be mildly interesting to us lot, but to him??...i'm not sure.  Rayjavascript:emoticon(':cool:';)
smilie

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2006, 13:42

Quote (Ray @ Feb. 20 2006, 07:14)
There are no drums!!  The drum sounds were made with Guitars.  

He just triggers drum samples with his guitar. He could just as well have triggered the samples with miked-up eating sticks or door handles.

I had a midi guitar once. It's the most useless piece of equipment I've ever owned. I never used the midi function. For me it was just a very difficult way to play a synthesizer.
(the guitar in itself was good though. It was a Casio strat-type midi guitar with a great and wide fretboard and incredible mikes - sadly it was stolen!;)

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2006, 13:48

Quote (larstangmark @ Feb. 20 2006, 13:42)
...sadly it was stolen!;)

It's actually quite annyoing to get that smiley when you end the text in a parenthesis with an exclamation mark. There was nothing "wink,wink" about my guitar being stolen!!!

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 21 2006, 12:12

You can avoid that either by leaving a space before the bracket, or by unchecking the 'Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post' box. Hopefully we can fix that with the next update...

The guitars are as Mike wanted them to sound, so I very much doubt he'll be remixing the album to change the guitar sounds (or for any reason, come to mention it).

The drums are mostly samples made using guitars and basses, triggered from a MIDI guitar. There's a drum loop in there on one track as well, but it's mostly guitar-based samples.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2006, 18:33

Quote (Korgscrew @ Mar. 21 2006, 18:12)
There's a drum loop in there on one track as well, but it's mostly guitar-based samples.

Isn't this loop at the beginning of "Out of sight"? It sounds to me like it's built on some sounds taken from the usual Led Zeppelin "When the levee breaks" sample, already used several times by Mike (lastly on "Cook's tune"). The rhythm is not the same as in the original sample, but I think the sounds are. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
5 replies since Feb. 19 2006, 12:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net