Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Does Innocent mean anything at all?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 25 2008, 12:15

Quote (timshen @ Jan. 29 2003, 01:18)
***You could argue that they are not 'deep' or 'serious' lyrics, but what is your definitions of those two terms anyway! I've haerd so-called 'deep' lyrics that don't do anything for me! I actually like some of Mike's so called 'silly' lyrics and find a great depth in them.***

I agree..
The "silly" lyrics could sound shallow and not serious but I think it´s when it´s taken out of context.
In fact, when I hear these lyrics and titles of songs and "crossreferens" it with MO´s personal life - they make very much sense and they seem heartfelt and deep.

Example...

saved by a bell (suffer in hell)

I really think MO was saved by making Tubular Bells

There are many many other examples and of course he has made just "real silly" lyrics that were used just for their "sound" and how they fitted in a actual number, but most of it I actually find very meaningful..

Saved by a bell
Shadow on the wall
Gimme Back
Innocent
See the light
and much more...

Most of Mike Oldfields songs and lyrics are his personal life..
Silver Negus Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 25 2008, 12:34

I think Innocent was inspired by Mike and Anita's child Greta. I remember seeing an interview with Anita and Mike from the 1980s. In this interview he says that all children including his own child is innocent, but he jokes that Greta is sometimes a little bit naughty also. If you have seen the 'Innocent 'video you will see Greta as a toddler. The lyrics are childlike at times and are meant to be, like a parent talking to their small child. 'Speak to me like the very first speak'

'I know you'l never stay the same, in time most of us lose it, but i'm hoping just the same you'll shine learn how to use it.'  

To me, that lyric may connote to all people - learn how to use and control personality traits for a good use.

My favourite lyric is 'Sun rise here comes another day, cow jumps over the moon now.'  It's very back to front and makes me laugh.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2009, 02:56

Quote (Tubularman @ Dec. 25 2008, 11:30)
It is a mix by Bob Kraushaar.

Thanks for the info, Kay. One thing I find a little bit odd, is the instrumental break because the percussion comes across as meandering.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2010, 12:03

'Cow jumps over the moon now'.

It rather expresses a subconscious wish of overcoming old commercial vocal successes with a rather heavily complex and personal instrumental work. This is a prophetic foresay of what would later happen with 'TBII'!!!!!!!!!!

Delfín>>

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Rider in the Blue Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2010, 16:55

Quote (Delfín @ Aug. 24 2010, 17:03)
'Cow jumps over the moon now'.

It rather expresses a subconscious wish of overcoming old commercial vocal successes with a rather heavily complex and personal instrumental work. This is a prophetic foresay of what would later happen with 'TBII'!!!!!!!!!!

Delfín>>

Actually, it's a reference to an English nursery rhyme - a nonsensical rhyme learnt by young children:

"Hey diddle diddle,
The cat and the fiddle,
The cow jumped over the moon.
The little dog laughed to see such fun,
And the dish ran away with the spoon."

I do see your point, but I don't attribute anything else to this line, although I'm frequently wrong when it comes to these things.

--------------
"Our hope's with you..."
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Dec. 25 2010, 21:04

Quote (Rider in the Blue @ Dec. 23 2010, 22:55)
Actually, it's a reference to an English nursery rhyme - a nonsensical rhyme learnt by young children:

"Hey diddle diddle,
The cat and the fiddle,
The cow jumped over the moon.
The little dog laughed to see such fun,
And the dish ran away with the spoon."

I do see your point, but I don't attribute anything else to this line, although I'm frequently wrong when it comes to these things.

Right, thanks for that one as I didn't know that. Even when I knew I was completely wrong, and just poking some fun about the 'Moonlight Shadow' success!! Of coures I was, as always (or almost always) putting a bit of delirious and nonsense sense of humour (nonsense sense???)  :O

I was then obviously sure I was wrong; even then, I feel thankful for this correct explanation, and also for me having received an answer to one my poor sharings on 'Earth Moving'!!!! :p

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2011, 08:17

Ugo, have your views changed in the years since you posted this topic? You can make an arty defence of the song by saying that it is innocent of the rules of normal syntax and so has a perfect match of content and form!  :)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2011, 18:20

Quote (nightspore @ Jan. 19 2011, 14:17)
Ugo, have your views changed in the years since you posted this topic?

No. :) I still think that it's a very good song with a very stupid lyric. I know why Mike wrote it that way, and I know what it's meant to represent - what kind of writing/speaking style he was after. But I still think that in its own context, i.e. that of a pop song devoid of all other implications (i.e. without thinking what it's meant to be, or who is it about, etc. etc. etc.), it's a very stupid lyric. Right on a par with "Northpoint". No wonder both songs were sung by Anita Hegerland. :D I have absolutely nothing against her, but... :p

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: April 20 2011, 21:37

Well, but in my humble opinion 'Northpoint' is by far the best song in 'Islands' (vocal song of course) and, maybe behing 'Moonlight Shadow', 'To France', 'Crime of Passion' and 'Pictures in the Dark', the best vocal tune Mike has ever done. It has a haunting rythm and Anita's voice sounds like crystal, plus the wonderful chorused rythm guitars.

Still, I agree with you in I've no clue what the lyrics are about.

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 21 2011, 19:08

@ Delfín: of course I agree with (almost) everything you say about the song, and about the vocals. [I write "almost" because I don't think it's the best vocal tune that Mike has ever done; to me, that would be "Islands" itself. :)] But the fact that the song is fantastic, and that the vocals are too, is not my point. My point is that the lyrics are stupid, and they actually are. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
omgmo Offline

Posted: July 07 2018, 11:57

"Innocent" feels so extremely good!..
Profile PM 
Vrbomber Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2020, 09:29

Sin duda para mi es la cancion mas pobre a nivel de letras pero muy chula
A nivel musical
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2020, 18:18

How can you tell if they're poor lyrics if you don't speak English?  :laugh:
Profile PM 
omgmo Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2020, 16:45

¡Feliz cumpleaños, nightspore!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2020, 18:06

Quote (omgmo @ Feb. 27 2020, 16:45)
¡Feliz cumpleaños, nightspore!

Reminds me of Feliz Navidad...

I prefer "felllates navy guys"  :laugh:
Profile PM 
34 replies since May 10 2001, 18:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net