Just if he uses a vocoder! 14  [15.05%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Do you want to hear Mike singing again ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
CuNimb Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 06:11

I would previously have said not really. But now I would prefer Mikes voice to the emotionless vocaloid vocals that he's used on Light + Shade. I think I don't like them because the machine cannot possibly know what it's "singing" about...and thus I don't pick up any feelings from them...ughh :/

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 13:04

Oh, don't worry: soon enough, computers will have feelings of their own, and they will also have the ability to learn, to play instruments by telekinesis, and write two songs per day. And certainly, Mike will be the first in line to buy that technology.

*venom drips from his mouth* Oops, sorry. Don't touch that.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Marky Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2005, 17:10

I can't see Mike fronting any more pop/rock songs anyway, even if we all voted for him to do so. It was out of character for him even if he does employ his voice on instrumentals here and there and dabbles with the odd vocal episode (Speak... etc). In subsequent interviews to MFTB he has suggested it was just an experiment that was not likely to be repeated.
I think he's fairly passable as a singer (I mean that in comparison to other artists, because I certainly can't sing as well as he can), although his range sounds limited and probably suits certain material well but offers little outside of that range. So if his voice were employed on the right material, it would be fine and I would not mind him doing some more singing. To my ears, however, No Dream is the only track where he really sounds totally convincing and as though it is written for his voice. That's a belter of a track with a lovely guitar contribution too.
I agree that he's better concentrating on music ahead of singing, even if it's with different singers. Having said that, I would distinguish singing (that is song lyrics) from vocal contributions, where he uses voices very well, and I would really like to hear more operatic and other styles of vocalisations on his music, because as he says himself, the voice is an instrument. And as a multi-instrumentalist, he ought to employ it as such! His voice has a place in that as well as it has always had (Platinum/ Crises/ Tubular Bells 2 etc).
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: April 12 2008, 09:24

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ June 30 2005, 15:13)
I am very late in getting into this discussion but wanted to add my piece.

First, I must say that Mike's voice is as good as many other vocalists I've heard.  He can carry a tune and sings with passion.  

Secondly, I think to hear his voice is endearing.  It made me feel closer to him - as if I knew him a little better - and I truly appreciated that.  I am a long-time fan and have always felt he was quite elusive.

Overall I am not very fond of the album Heaven's Open.  The songs just don't seem to come close to the caliber of his other music.  I do like the title track however.

Have to say I agree with this 100%.

Great to hear Mike sing, just felt most of the vocal tracks were not up to his usual standards, title track apart.

Still grappling with MFTB - overall positive on it though.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: May 07 2008, 22:38

tubularnet.com

Mike it's time to exercise your vocal chords. the vote tally so far is 67% in favour of hearing you sing again. You have pretty good tubular bells as well.

High Priestess We are all behind you so go for it!http://tubular.net/forums/non-cgi/Skin/SKIN-3/PostIcons/icon14.gif
Profile PM 
64 replies since Oct. 22 2002, 09:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net