Just if he uses a vocoder! 14  [15.05%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Do you want to hear Mike singing again ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 20 2003, 11:42

If he ever touches a Vocoder again, I swear I'll smash it down to bits with a coal mallet. :(

But yep, I'd definitely like him exercising his vocal chords again... er, not in a Piltdown man fashion, that is. You understand me. I think his vocal delivery in the album is absolutely brilliant. To all of you complaining, say: if you were to choose between Mike Oldfield, Liam Gallagher, Fred Durst or Scott Stapp, who would you pick? My pick is an easy one!

Yes, Mike's voice isn't suitable for every kind of song, though, according to what I heard. He doesn't have too good dynamics - it's either "Gimme Back scream-out-loud" or "No Dream mutter-mutter", but he's great in both of them. If he tried to sing again, I'd like to hear it... especially if there's something like Music From The Balcony tacked on at the end!

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
afghan Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 11 2004, 18:25

I think mikes voice is very good ,i enjoyed all tracks on heavens open,and would like to here him do some more.i am sure he knows his voice limitations and would write suitable material to bring out his unique vocal talent's. :)

--------------
may you never run aground or fall into the deep deep sound
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2004, 04:23

Yes might be an idea for him to go out on a limb again and do some songs...But should probably take some lessons first...Or someone to direct him a bit..OR just use a vocorder heh

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2004, 07:11

Quote (Kiwwy @ Aug. 13 2004, 04:23)
Yes might be an idea for him to go out on a limb again and do some songs...But should probably take some lessons first...

Didn't he already have those before Heaven's Open?

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2004, 07:33

Yes, thats why he should take some again  :p

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2004, 23:34

Mike has a disappointing voice. I've said this before, many months ago. Some disagreed and I respect their opinion. But, if it was as good as some try to make out, then why has he not repeated the exercise on another album?

Mike's strength remains in his musicianship, arrangements and unique guitar style. To believe and state that his vocal performance on HO deserves more, verges on the sycophantic.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2004, 07:22

Mike gave up singing because he gave up on pop music altogether. Plus, he did end up using his voice again in other tracks ('Supernova', anyone?), so he probably wasn't disappointed with the results.

Of course Mike is not Justin Hayward or Greg Lake, but how many times you see an instrumental artist suddenly bellowing out such a mighty voice that puts those so called 90's "singers" to shame?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Rileman Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2004, 09:23

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Aug. 30 2004, 07:22)
Mike gave up singing because he gave up on pop music altogether. Plus, he did end up using his voice again in other tracks ('Supernova', anyone?), so he probably wasn't disappointed with the results.

It is'nt Mike's voice that you hear in 'Supernova'. The voice
sounds a little bit like a synthvoice, but I'm not sure.

--------------
It's not easy going where no-one goes, and no-one knows...
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2004, 10:09

There has been some debate on that, but it seems Mike himself said it was his own sampled voice. Not that it's proven fact, but it seems like it. I also doubted it for some time.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
sEIGu Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2004, 10:16

If he ever touches a Vocoder again, I swear I'll smash it down to bits with a coal mallet.

throw it in MY direction, plz! korg vc10 preferred..

back to topic: i like him on "no dream".

--------------
sEIGu
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2004, 09:44

Quote (T4 @ Aug. 29 2004, 23:34)
Mike has a disappointing voice. I've said this before

Disappointing expecially when compared to his sister Sally, who is one of the best female singers I have ever heard. I wonder what Terry sounds like singing? (for all I know, Terry Oldfield sings on his albums: I've never heard any of his music to know).

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2004, 02:42

A dissapointing voice compared to who? Dissapointing for an instrumental musician? I can't believe you think that. Have you ever heard Steve Howe sing? Nasty, and that's good compared to some people who are otherwise fantastic musicians. Prehaps you mean dissapointing for a lead singer. Well, he isn't a lead singer, and apart from this album has never tried to be. He'll never be a singer in a band, and I don't want him to be. OK, so his voice could be better, but compared to what I expected and how bad it might have been, I think he does a great job. I can't think of one moment where his voice makes me think "ouch, that's nasty". As far as I can remember he can hit all the notes that he tries to.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2005, 00:33

Well, he sings better than he talks :-)

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2005, 13:41

Steve Hackett singing is completely weird!

About Mike,I do prefer him singing like on Heaven's Open than when he's almost speaking like On Horseback and Rite of Man :D

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Mar. 27 2005, 14:23

Quote (raven4x4x @ Oct. 09 2004, 02:42)
A dissapointing voice compared to who? Dissapointing for an instrumental musician? I can't believe you think that. Have you ever heard Steve Howe sing? Nasty, and that's good compared to some people who are otherwise fantastic musicians. Prehaps you mean dissapointing for a lead singer. Well, he isn't a lead singer, and apart from this album has never tried to be. He'll never be a singer in a band, and I don't want him to be. OK, so his voice could be better, but compared to what I expected and how bad it might have been, I think he does a great job. I can't think of one moment where his voice makes me think "ouch, that's nasty". As far as I can remember he can hit all the notes that he tries to.

For God's sake Raven, do I really have to spell it out to you? In my opinion, Mike's vocal performance on HO is disappointing. In other words, I was, am and always will be disappointed with his vocals on HO. Compared to what? Compared to nothing. I don't like Mike's vocal performance. Why should I need to compare it with anything?! He is not a good vocalist. Otherwise he would be singing more on albums. I would have preferred to hear Barry Palmer or Maggie Reilly singing the songs from HO - that for me, would have been far better. When there are far better vocalists around - some of whom he has used himself in the past - there is really no excuse to go with his own sub-standard performance.

As for comments made by others:

Poppycock about giving up pop music - that is one of the strangest, most bizarre explanations I have heard for him not singing lead vocals since HO. Vocals are used on TSODE, MB and Tres Lunas - all released since HO. They don't have to be pop songs per se for Mike to sing. If his voice was as great as has been stated here, then he would be singing far more.

Mustapha gave a few comparisons and asked who one would prefer to listen to. Well, for me, Liam and Fred, way ahead of Mike thank you very much for asking.

As for Steve Howe and Steve Hackett - yes, both poor and both compare with MO. Stick to the guitars guys.

Sorry to anyone I offend but this particular fan of Mike's is not prepared to defend all of the things he has done nor the decisions he has made.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2005, 19:11

No offense taken; looking back on the post of mine you were referring to I can understand how stupid it sounds, I certainly wouldn't have put it like that now. All I can say is that I don't have any problems whatsoever with his voice, but then again I have no problems with Moby's voice either and a lot of other people do. However, I do have a problem when you say:

Quote (T4 @ Mar. 28 2005, 03:23)
When there are far better vocalists around - some of whom he has used himself in the past - there is really no excuse to go with his own sub-standard performance.

Firstly, from what I can remember the reason he sung the vocals himself had a lot to do with doing the album quickly to get out of his Virgin contract. If he had a better relationship with his record company he might have hired a singer to do the vocals.

Quote (T4 @ Aug. 30 2004, 12:34)
To believe and state that his vocal performance on HO deserves more, verges on the sycophantic.

How dare you call me a sycophant just for saying what I believe? Just like you dislike his vocals, I do like them. Do you truely believe that his singing is so bad that it cannot possable have true fans? By all means, have your opinion and say it (that's what these forums are about), but don't insult those who disagree with you.

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 27 2005, 22:52

Quote (raven4x4x @ Mar. 27 2005, 19:11)
Quote (T4 @ Aug. 30 2004, 12:34)
To believe and state that his vocal performance on HO deserves more, verges on the sycophantic.

How dare you call me a sycophant just for saying what I believe? Just like you dislike his vocals, I do like them. Do you truely believe that his singing is so bad that it cannot possable have true fans? By all means, have your opinion and say it (that's what these forums are about), but don't insult those who disagree with you.

That has nothing to do with me disagreeing with anyone and that comment was not aimed at any one individual; it was merely an observation and my personal opinion of the way in which some comments appear to this reader on certain threads and a reaction to the way in which some of my comments have been subtly ridiculed because I refuse to consider all that MO has done as great.

Exactly the reason I have kept my distance from these forums for so long because deep down, most posters dislike comments I make which don't heap praise on a particular work of MO. Period.

However, I do apologise if you took the comment personally - it was not my intention to insult, irrespective of how confused I might be with the content of some threads.

--------------
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2005, 00:31

It hasn't been my experience that there are many people here who get angry if you don't love everything Mike does, (especially if you look at the Millennium Bell topics  ;) ). There's no need to keep away from the forums if people are saying things you find offensive: Korgscrew and Olivier do a good job of keeping things balanced and pleasant.

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: April 14 2005, 09:18

I used to dislike the vocals on HO, but they have grown on me the more I listen to them, and I like the album more and more, except for Gimme Back and Balcony. Even the title track is growing on me as well (one I've never liked near as much as others at tubular.net forums, I think).

As for others taking offense at attitudes in messages, I've noticed more and more of this lately. Perhaps because it has been so long since there has been any new material to discuss at all coming from The Master. It is like we are running out of things to discuss concerning the musical works themselves, so we are starting to argue about nuances of the discussion comments instead. Don't want to have a feeding frenzy.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
lordlucan Offline

Posted: May 04 2005, 14:19

I have no problem with Oldfield singing, as long as someone else is writing the lyrics or he's doing wordless vocals.  Because Mike Oldfield, while he's a truly amazing musician and composer, is a bloody atrocious lyricist.

But his singing is fine.
Profile PM 
64 replies since Oct. 22 2002, 09:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net