Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Do you want to hear Mike singing again ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 22 2002, 09:38

After Heaven´s Open...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2002, 15:55

mike's got great voice..he should make this kind of album again..but leave the MFTB kind of stuff of  ;)

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 22 2002, 16:29

MFTB?

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Oct. 22 2002, 18:37

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ Oct. 22 2002, 18:29)
MFTB?

MFTB = Music From The Balcony ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2002, 05:28

I had heard the track Heaven's Open from the best of Elements disk, and I was very surprised when I heard that was Mike singing. He has a very powerful voice, one that probably isn't suited to all songs but a good one anyway. I would like to hear Mike singing again.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2002, 12:45

Sorry folks - his voice is at best weak and at worst poor. Leave the singing to others please  :/  !!!

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 27 2002, 18:52

If Mike's vocals on Heaven's Open are weak, I'd like to know how you'd classify some of the things I've had to endure hearing over the years (just plain dreadful maybe?) ;)

I think that Mike puts in quite a powerful performance on the album (though of course I've heard more powerful). I can't see his voice working on some kinds of song, but I feel that it works there, in the main. I'm not pretending that Heaven's Open is the best rock vocal album ever, just that it's acceptable. I think it's good that Mike went out on a limb and gave it a go.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2002, 02:24

I think Mike's voice is acceptable for singing,i would'nt mind hearing it again,the track "Heaven's Open" is a great track for Mike's voice,he does a good job with it,and the guitar solo is one of his best,i really love this track,it's just so full on and in your face,As for "Music From The Balcony",i like it,i don't listen to it all the time,but when i do go back to it,i really like it,the production is excelent,and it kind of has an Amarok left over feel to it,which can't be a bad thing.
Profile PM 
TheMan Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2002, 10:46

Mike's singing on this album is definitely VERY GOOD. Much better than most people say (and much much better than Miks's singing on other albums).

INHO this album is suprisingly fresh ang good, one of the most underrated MO albums ever. The production is excellent, the musicians are playing very well (as always with Simon), there is a nice dark mood, and a lot of power.

I think Mike performs very well on each track here (i.e., the singing).

I like his voice, and I consider the singing technically seen just great.
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 31 2002, 14:21

Sorry guys, you won't convince me. Some of what I hear from the album STILL makes me cringe  :/  I listened again this evening and reminded myself just why this album does not get the playbacks that others do.

I agree Korgscrew, hats off for giving it a go - why not? But I personally wouldn't like to see the exercise repeated. And yes, I dare say we have both endured dreadful performances from many others. Still doesn't make me want to rate Mike's performance any higher  ;)

I would love to hear these songs sung by some of the better vocalists that Mike has employed in his work over the years.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 

Posted: Nov. 05 2002, 17:24

I love Mike´s voice on the tracks,I remember when I first listened to HO and in a first listen,I thought it was a little bit strange...then,my point of view about it have changed!
The title track is one of my fav,alongside with Make Make(especially the chorus part,kinda sexy to me).

I can understand why he signed Michael Oldfield on that...
what a nice surprise !!!  
:p

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Dragonath
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 06 2003, 17:42

Yes...his voice is indeed powerful, and HO is one my fave songs from MO [In fact I'm listening to it right now].

The song is so inspiring that I thought of making pictures out of it's different phrases (I'm little bit an artist).

Also I agree with the fact that his voice doesn't fit his style very well - he has used a vocoder to fit it into his songs.
Anonymizeruk Offline

Posted: April 17 2003, 10:22

I knew before I read the topic that this would have a mass of different opinions  :p

I think Mike has a pretty powerful instrument, but for me, he seems to be 'trying too hard'. If you listen to 'Heavens Open', he does't go at 'max power' very often, and I think it is the best track on the CD. (I would actually buy the single if I were an Oldfield fan or not!;)

I also agree that Mike deserves credit for having a go, and for the diversity of the album. Make Make sounds like a mid 80s radio hit, and Gimme Back is like 'what, Mike Oldfield does reggae?

Go ahead Mike, sing your heart out!
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: April 17 2003, 13:12

Noooooo !, not even with a vocoder on top of a hill far away in a distant land with 6000 miles of ocean between us.

Cheers, MO fan :D (bring back Magie Reilly, sob)
Profile PM 
Anonymizeruk Offline

Posted: April 17 2003, 13:41

[QUOTE] (bring back Magie Reilly, sob)

Hell yeah!

Maggie Reilly singing Man In The Rain, or To Be Free.

THAT would be a new release that would go down a treat  ;)
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 05 2003, 18:09

Listening to HO right now. I hear nothing wrong with his singing really. It's unusual but good. And BTW, No Dream is a great song with a great guitar solo!
Profile PM 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: July 18 2003, 05:10

Really i love His voice - it is so full of power!!!
i don't thing he will sing in future )-:
but still his voice will last forever (-;

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 

Posted: July 18 2003, 14:23

MO Fan - I wholeheartedly agree with you  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
ElJane Offline

Posted: Dec. 20 2003, 10:16

Well, I shall have to go along with most of you and say: Mike has got a very powerful voice indeed and I just love HO. I have to admit, though, as a female-fan of his, I tend to look at him from several aspects; and the way he sings really sends a shiver down my spine. Oh yes, yes; an exceptionally gorgeous man with a very exciting voice - it's just so "Mike Oldfield-like"  :D

Although I always melt when it comes to Mike Oldfield, INHO he's done a good job on HO; and I'd like to hear him again (preferably in person  ;) ).

Best wishes, fellow Mike-fans  :) !
Profile PM 

Posted: Dec. 20 2003, 11:15

Crikey! Is this debate still going? The answer is still Noooooo!!!lol

Cheers - hope everyone is well. I haven't been around for ages but want to wish everyone a lovely Christmas.

--------------
Profile PM 
64 replies since Oct. 22 2002, 09:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net