Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Do You Like It?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 03 2007, 10:26

I'm glad this was brought up again.  LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.

Living in the States, we seldom saw pictures of Mike.  Once again I was disappointed in the cover - a blurry, hazy picture of his face.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Pertou Offline

Posted: July 18 2007, 15:01

My favourite Mike Oldfield album!

--------------
Please visit my Tangerine Dream Blog
http://tangerinedream.pertou.dk/
Profile PM WEB 
Moonwing_Shadow Offline

Posted: July 18 2007, 17:51

Yeah, I like it. I just recently listened to it all again after quite a while. Not that I didn't used to like it, ;) I always have.
But I almost forgot how The Lake sounds, it's real nice. :) and I love Saved By A Bell and Crystal Gazing. I'd never forget those ones. :D

--------------
I'd rather be on Dragonback
Profile PM WEB 
Taurus 4 Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2007, 10:57

I love this album too. It's part of my "holy trinity" along with Incantations and Tubular Bells II. Poison Arrows, Tricks of the Light and To France are all magnificent, with my overall favourite probably being Saved by a Bell. The Lake is a masterpiece.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2008, 07:48

I really like this album.  It was one of the first CDs I bought - and the fact that I bought it while in France on my first holiday in Europe brings back special memories every time I pop it in the CD player.

He he - never going to get to France indeed  :D
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2010, 11:02

Sorry but I would have to say that discovery didn't do much for me personally, mainly for the fact there are many pop songs. I really do love the music, only I seem to mind the repetetiveness of it. It doesn't have the edge or the sheer epicness like in Taurus 2.
And it is not as tranquil as Taurus 1 or Hergest Ridge, and for me its not as innovative as most of his other works. But I'd have to say for pop songs they are still incredible.

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2010, 13:56

Fans think that his pop input is too poppy,but compared to other pop tunes from the same period,it's not THAT pop thing from the charts!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ridge Van Hergest Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2010, 11:33

"Discovery" was my first exposure to Mike Oldfield. The fact that I became a fan says all.

I still love that album and I think it's his overall best work from the 80's, despite it being the most rock-sounding record by Oldfield (even "The Lake" sounds prog-rockish in places). Proof that a great musician can take any musical genre to new heights.

--------------
Check out my record collection! (click "Homepage" button)
Profile PM WEB 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: June 21 2011, 10:40

Despite the pristine production and epic Simon Phillips drumming, this for me is his second weakest 80s album (and yes, I'm including Islands; the worst offender being Earth Moving).

For me, I can't see past the cheese and the shuttling between innovation/loveliness and rawk excess (the rolled-up sleeve wrongness of Saved by A Bell).  In fact, SBAB may actually be the worst thing in the whole of Oldfield's canon (although Shine, William Tell Overture, the eurotrance on Light and Shade, religious bits of TMB and most of Heaven's Open vie for that spot).

Gosh, I sound so critical, don't I?  In the plus column of the ledger, I'd score the darker / more glittery bits of The Lake, To France and my personal favourite Talk About Your Life.  when the album is good it is very, very good but unfortunately it's one where I do want to skip or FF tracks, and make sure no-one is in the house when I'm listening to it, which just doesn't happen with everything in his discography before 1984, and about 50% of the albums that followed.

So, on balance, yes, but I'd give it a 6/10.
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 21 2011, 15:00

Quote (BornInTheUK @ June 21 2011, 15:40)
 In fact, SBAB may actually be the worst thing in the whole of Oldfield's canon (although Shine, William Tell Overture, the eurotrance on Light and Shade, religious bits of TMB and most of Heaven's Open vie for that spot).

:D

Actually I agree with you there except for the "religious bits of TMB" ...such as the "Santa Maria" church chorus!

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 21 2011, 22:20

That boat has already sailed Wiggy.
:laugh:  :laugh:  :O
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 22 2011, 03:38

Aye, it did ... but it is now back, stationary in the dock and the choir are disembarking... :)

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
AUTOMATIC 18 Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2012, 14:51

Great Pop/Rock album that I always listen to all the way through whenever I play it. 'The Lake' is perfect and exciting over and over again! 'Poison Arrows' is a belter with a great vocal by Barry Palmer. This is Mike's best album of the 80s no doubt. Great songs and fantastic instrumental! A perfect balance and a great LP!
Profile PM WEB 
Kington Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2013, 21:54

Hi all, I've been lurking sporadically for quite a few years (so much so that I'd forgotten my login details recently) and thought I would finally make a post about one of my top 5 favourite Mike albums.  I also thought I may as well make it a big one!  I'd been reading through (among many other things) the various threads about The Lake as I'm rather infatuated with it (as a piece and a place  :) ) and I thought I might share with you all excerpts from a post that I put on a private forum last year - not Mike related, but mainly geared around synth owner/players.  This was in a sub-forum on our favourite albums.  Even though I begin by talking about another artist's album, this is primarily about Discovery.

So, do excuse me, but I felt like waxing lyrical for a bit.

Having toured (and becoming completely infatuated with) a particular part of Europe in 2011, I had the occasion on returning (apart from wishing we didn't have to return) to ponder on a few albums in the past that had (and still have) a significant effect on me, and the fact that they all had one thing in common - the Vaud canton in Switzerland, more particularly a certain Lac Leman, better known to most as Lake Geneva (and still more particularly in the case of a few albums, the town of Montreux).

There was an intangible but profound magic about Montreux and its environs - a certain “Kind of Magic” that worked well for Queen, along with Yes, Rick Wakeman, Mike Oldfield, David Bowie, Jeff Lynne, Deep Purple, not to mention the tons of artists that have played at THE Jazz Festival.

When we had to leave Montreux, there was a general consensus that no-one really wanted to go! We were all on quite the high from the previous days gig at the Jazz Festival and had a long bus drive ahead of us towards Salzburg, that plus the fact that the town had well truly cast its enchanting spell on all of us. But as we regrettably left Montreux, rather than fall asleep, I put on my best quality earbuds and went straight for my favourite Yes album, Going For The One. As we wound our way around Lake Geneva and the Swiss Alps, that album was the perfect accompaniment for me – and listening to it then made a few more things fall into place as well. There was definitely something of the countryside in the music (particularly with Awaken, still easily one of the best Yes songs ever).

I was also reminded at the time (and wished I’d had a copy of it on my phone) of another hugely affecting piece inspired by that part of the world. I’ve recently got around to transferring it from vinyl to CD and mp3, and it's actually this one I’m finally heading towards in this lengthy introduction!

Having a thorough re-listening (several times) to Mike Oldfield’s Discovery album, I have noticed that for my ears, it has the same special sparkle as my other favourite “recorded in the Swiss Alps” albums.

Whilst Oldfield’s foray into the more commercial pop tracks rather than his longer, (more masterful in my opinion) rock “sonatas and symphonies” still manages to cause consternation amongst fans of the genre, I for one, would listen past the occasionally less-than-well-crafted lyrics, and into the arrangement of the instrumental accompaniment. (That said, Oldfield’s lyrics are still far easier to listen to than most of the confronting angst, ill-informed hate, and generally wank-laden shite that seems to pass for “lyrics” these days).

When I first listened to Oldfield’s Discovery a couple of years after its original release, I was well hooked and the enthusiasm has not dwindled. At the time, I’d just started at Uni and I was lapping up any and everything I could buy or borrow. I already knew To France since it fared reasonably well with airplay down here, but even listening to it as the album opener brought many things to the ear that escaped me on the radio plays. I was particularly fond of the occasions where – for a relatively short song – the instrumental texture would frequently alternate between sparse and dense.

If there was another thing I have so frequently admired about Oldfield, it was his willingness to let the guitar take a back-seat on occasion. Unlike many other guitar-heroes where it has to be up front and in your face all the time, Oldfield always had a decent sense of ensemble and knew when not to overuse certain textures (as he had more than ably demonstrated at least on his first 4 albums, and more). For an album by a guitarist, Discovery never came across as especially guitar-heavy, having as it did plenty of attractive textures from Fairlight CMI, Oberheim OBX, Roland VP-330 (string machine/vocoder) and Rhodes piano bubbling away behind (and often in front) of every track. Throughout every track on Discovery (and a great deal of his other work), Oldfield never seemed content with the idea of simply putting block chords behind the singer or solo instrument. There were always other little counter-melodies going on.

Maggie Reilly’s voice was always singularly attractive for me from the first moment I heard her on QE2, then through on into Five Miles Out (yes, and Moonlight Shadow from Crises of course). She clearly proved for many years to be the perfect vehicle for Mike’s vocal charts, and her contributions on the Discovery album are no exception. From the pathos of To France and Talk About Your Life (the latter of which also uses the opening hook of To France), through to the lighter Crystal Gazing and providing an offset to Barry Palmer’s tone in Trick Of The Light. Palmer too is in good form here, even with the vocal problems he was experiencing at the time of recording. In many ways however, it worked in their favour. In Poison Arrows and Discovery, Palmer at times seemed to be evoking Roger Chapman’s raw larynx (from Shadow On The Wall) and it worked well against his otherwise usually subdued and rounded tone. The only track I could really take or leave on this album is Saved By A Bell. Whilst it starts well with some breathy Fairlight sounds, the banality of some of the lyrics lets it down (and it doesn’t really sound as though Palmer is into it either).

Most of the songs on side 1 (yes chaps, Side 1) seem to form part of a suite what with the segue from To France into Poison Arrows, and then the similar groove (and same key) in Crystal Gazing. However, Oldfield maintains interest with his customary flair for orchestration, each time, providing this aforementioned “sparkle” in the arrangements.

But then, there is the outstanding album closer, The Lake, clearly inspired by (as mentioned on the sleeve notes) Lake Geneva which was apparently visible from the chalet in which he recorded the album – one couldn’t really ask for much better inspiration. This piece constitutes the final 12 minutes of the album and certainly for my ears, is one of his underrated masterworks. Even if you didn’t like the previous “poppiness” of the vocal tracks, this one is well worth waiting for, and really gives you the whole picture.

From the opening ostinato patterns, set-up with some excellent Fairlight sounds, the sparkle is right there. Then with a crash, we’re into a cheerful full-band-jam shuffle, replete with a guitar interjection that sounded as though Hank Marvin had quickly dropped by. Over the following few sections, Oldfield’s innate sense for texture, arrangement and development of melody, never lets up as he puts various motifs through their paces. It sounds bigger than it should be for a track that only used two players. Whilst Oldfield played all the guitars, keyboards and basses, the drums were up to the incomparable Simon Phillips who, throughout the whole album (but in The Lake particularly), brings forth a drum sound that’s almost as big as the Swiss Alps (would love to hear Phillips and Neil Peart do a duet one day! ). But there’s still room in the mix for the majestically glorious guitars and synths of the final few minutes. A piece of writing that, from a technical point of view, is an excellent demonstration of what to do with a simple descending scale, but from an arranging and emotive point of view, succeeds on level that defies words (for me at least).

It was after the first sitting through of this stunning 12 minute track (which felt a lot longer because it was so easy to get lost in it), that I said to myself: “Right, I MUST see Lake Geneva one day!”

Thankfully I since have, and it’s indescribably satisfying because all the grandeur, mystique and breathtaking beauty that I had come to expect from the various works inspired by the place (Oldfield Discovery and Yes Going For The One especially), were clearly spot-on. It’s no surprise to me at all that a great number of artists from Stravinsky to Zappa and onwards, sought inspiration in the Vaud Canton of Switzerland – there’s plenty of inspiration to be had, and then some.
Profile PM 
I3ELLSend Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2013, 06:22

Hello Kington,  I am glad you found your way back in & my oh my what a shining penny from a pound of a opening post you have given us above, full of knowledge indeed.  I tried to speed read it at a glance but no chance of that  :/   I soon realised that it needed & deserved a thorough reading ;)  Which I am glad I spent time in doing!  for what a pool of knowledge you must have in order that your mind can stream data as rich as this into our lake.

Many thanks for your post I do hope this will be the first of many, or at least not your first & last! As I found it to contain very interesting points of VIEW your reflections Sir are mountain's above the level at which most we damned lakies sea :laugh: well that's my ripple upon the water spouted out :p

--------------
HOLA OLA (HELLO spanish ALL greek) IS IT A GOOD TIME TO CHANGE THE "ORDER"? & HOW DOES CRYING MAKE YOU FEEL? these are very deep questions, don't you think?
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2013, 13:15

@kington
That's also my opinion on Discovery. But I also like the verses of Saved By A Bell. The chorus is not my cup of tea. Maybe Maggie would have done better.
Profile PM 
andromeda Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2013, 07:06

I agree with Raven4x4x - I think its his most consistant album of the 80's and yes, I love The Lake  :D
Profile PM 
36 replies since April 21 2002, 03:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net