Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Do You Like It?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
raven4x4x Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 21 2002, 03:46

What are you're feelings on this album. Personally I think it's great. Good songs, and one of the best instrumentals he has ever done. This is probably my favourite of his eighties albums. The songs are all really good, but 'The Lake' has so many really good themes. I'm interested to know what you all think about this album.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 22 2002, 06:53

Hello.....Hello...Anyone there?

Such a pity that no-one talks about this album very much. It rocks. I would very much like to see some opinions here please.

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 22 2002, 07:29

There are some good songs on the album, and some good performances as well (I think Maggie Reilly gives one of her best, out of her work with Mike, on 'talk about your life').

It's generally quite an immaculate, produced kind of sound that the album has...perhaps a little less brittle than Crises.

The way the songs are tied together make it a bit more interesting...
Profile PM 
Klaas Pier Offline

Posted: July 27 2002, 05:54

It's one of my favorites, normally I don't really like Mike's pop songs, but these are great. The have so much feeling in them, and Maggie, who is in my opinion the best singer Mike worked with, makes it so much better.
The lake is indeed a really good instrumental piece, though sometimes a boring its very imaginative, I close my eyes and fly..

All in all, unexpectedly good!
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: July 30 2002, 23:13

the songs are great and the lake is wonderful.. :music:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2002, 05:14

I agree, The Lake is his best 12 minute piece. I love To France, Poison Arrows, Tricks of the Light and Saved by a Bell.

--------------
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2002, 14:32

Same with me.... I just love The Lake!

More favourite songs: To France, Poison Arrows, Crystal Gazing (whoa!;) and Saved by a Bell.

I like the atmosphere the album has (did you hear the live versions??? wonderful!!;). :)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Rob Burke
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 30 2002, 19:47

I am also surprised how few people have written about this album, which is still my favourite Oldfield album. I remember buying the To France 12" single and loving the excellent guitar solo. In the Pool is excellent. The comb work is amusing and effects like pouring water really combine brilliantly with classic 80's Oldfield guitar work. Simon Phillip's drumming was always excellent.
I would love to see a return to this type of album in the future with some rock songs on it. Poisoned Arrows and Tricks of the Light are awesome.
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2002, 08:20

:) I like it.
Especially To France,Poison Arrows(fav song of the album)!!!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2002, 12:19

I think the album stands up very well when compared to Mike's 80's output. It could almost be classed as the MO archetypal 80's album! Strong pop/rock songs supplemented by awesome instrumental work (or vice versa). Admittedly, this album has more songs than instrumentals when compared to Crises, QE2 and Five Miles out - this may explain why those who favour Mike's early works are not as proactive to give this album a positive press. As an aside, when it comes to favourite tracks mentioned here, 'The Lake' (instrumental) gets the most votes!

I agree with Korgscrew insofar as the album contains Maggie's strongest vocal performance - where I differ is that I would plump for 'To France'!

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2002, 04:13

Another interesting thing I found was that this was one of the only MO albums which I really liked when I first listened to it, the other one probably being Crises. With all the other MO albums, it took a few listens for me to really get to know them, and in the case of TSODE, Guitars and Heaven's Open, a few months! That's why I get suspicious of anyone who says "I listened to it once and I couldn't stand it, I'll never listen to it again". If you have a MO album that you haven't listened to in a while, really listen to it, you may be surprised. Now, I'll just be off to listen to QE2, Islands and Voyager...

--------------
Profile PM 
Ecco Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 02 2003, 18:03

As of late, one of the most listened to MO albums in our collection. When it was first released, we were at once taken by "To France", "Poison Arrows", "Talk about your Life". 'Bell'. and "The Lake". That hasn't changed.
Interesting note that Julie just came across: the LP (yes, we are in  the vinyl is better than CD club) is DMM (Direct Metal Mastered) !!!
We feel that "Talk about your Life" is actually a better song than "To France", which is also a great song.

If "Moonlight Shadow" could have been used in place of the title track,"Discovery", this album might have  been a huge success. But then again, "Moonlight shadow" is perfect for the "Crises" album.

One of his best albums.

--------------
http://www.myspace.com/twilighttide
Profile PM WEB 
DanishDonJuan Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2003, 10:01

Discovery was my first Oldfield album. I loved it immediately, & would love to hear more single from Oldfield like these.
I love 'the lake' it is one of my favorite instrumental pieces.
'To France' 'Trick of the light' 'Discovery' 'Poison Arrows' are all great tracks, & some of my favorites. But I love the entire album. It is one of the few albums to me that has no parts I dislike.

--------------
If every road we traveled were the easy, we would be weak, and would eventually think every road difficult.
If every road we traveled tough, we would be strong and eventually think no road to be difficult.

Its the tough road that leads to happiness.
A smooth sea never made a great sailor.
Profile PM 
Jamie S Offline

Posted: Dec. 18 2003, 12:15

Just bought Discovery and listened to it through for the first time... very please with it. Highlights are definitely To France (which the video for is also very good,) Poison Arrows, and The Lake - particulary the last 4 minutes or so of it.
Profile PM WEB 
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 18 2003, 17:43

This is one of Mike's albums that I really like the "sound" of a lot.  From a technical aspect, it is well produced and sets a very effective atmosphere.  Flows nicely.
EeToN Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2004, 20:24

I love that album in every respect. 1982-1984 was a great period of Mike.

Anyway, have you noticed how perfectly structured album Discovery is? The vocals are from Maggie and Barry by turns: Maggie - Barry - Maggie - Barry & Maggie - Barry - Maggie - Barry - no-one

Besides, Barry and Maggie have only one solo song in '84 concerts, they both sang on all other songs of Discovery.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2004, 17:17

Quote (EeToN @ Mar. 26 2004, 02:24)
[...] Maggie - Barry - Maggie - Barry & Maggie - Barry - Maggie - Barry - no-one

I'm assuming that with 'no-one' you refer to The Lake - well, Maggie sings during that. "Do-doo, do-doo, do-do-do-do-doo", etc. :). It may be sampled, but (at least to my ears) it sounds a lot like Maggie.  :p

More seriously and almost totally off-topic :): Presently I play keyboards and do arrangements for an amateur band; they're about to record a demo. This band's got two female lead singers named Brunella and Monica, although all the band members occasionally sing. This demo tape, which will come about by the end of May if we're lucky, will feature six songs and the lead vocalists will be as follow: Brunella - Monica - Brunella - Monica - Brunella & Monica - Everybody.  Pretty similar, isn't it? ;) And the funniest thing of it all is that I love Discovery - and I never noticed that curious sharing. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
12MilesOut Offline

Posted: April 12 2004, 14:19

Like it? I love it. In its 'genre' its the best of this style.
And the quiet power that hits you when Poison Arrows comes on is intense. This album holds more memories probably than any of the rest.
Still at home with parents but in last year of school. Listening to the record on an old player with my head stuck between the speakers so i could get the full impact.
Also, i went sailing on a tall ship in the summer of 84 with To France ringing in my head. I still feel that there is only way to listen to Poison Arrows. LOUDLY :D

--------------
Somebody's out to get you
-Poison Arrows-
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 03 2007, 01:54

"To France" and "The Lake" are fantastic pieces, and for those alone I'm happy to have Discovery. "Crystal Gazing" and "Talk About Your Life" are growing on me, but I'm having difficulty with the rest of the album. After several listenings, I realized that I really dislike Barry Palmer's singing.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 03 2007, 06:40

I have been listening to this album alot lately. It must be because i have the new DVD (torrent) San Sebastian 1984.
It is also my favorite album to play when friends are here. Everybody loves it, and it is not possible to not like "to france". A very nice beginning.
I guess i have just wonderful things to say about this album.
"To france" It is one of the worlds best vocal songs. Maggies voice and Mike's playing makes it sound so.... (i really don't find the words, it gives me good chills)
And how the song fades into "poison arrows".
This song remains me of a time when life was hard. Alot of crises.
It was with my family; my father. I took a holiday and travelled to greek island; crete. I had this song on my walkman.
Away from the poison arrows i listen to this maginfican song. Only i could hear was the wolfs.
The lyrics are very similar to what my situation was in that time. Really it is the same today, but im stronger, and the wolfs are not scary to me anymore.
This is really how Mike helps me with his music. It makes me stronger.

"Crystal gazing" was really the second song i felt for in the beginning. How Maggie sings;
Crystal gazing
Crystal gazing
What you gonna find in
Crystal gazing?
I also like the rythm and how the vocals work. A perfect song.

"Tricks of the light"
First of all, my favorite music video, with the girl who watch Mike. She is so pretty.
This song have one of the greatest guitar solo.

"Discovery"
Shadow on the wall || :)
Just loves it. The solo is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
also the vocals of course!

"Talk about your life"
To france || ;)
I did not like this in the beginning. But i love it today.
Great track.

"Saved by a bell"
this is so nice live. How the songs end. Nice lyrics...
My sister loves this song very much. Everytime i play it she says: ohhh :D i love that one.
That is one of the best thing with Mike's music. People loves it.
My friends do it. And they want me to turn on his music and try to explain  what song they want to hear. (funny)

"The lake"
perfect end. It is like singing alot and then fly away over the lake and just listen..
I made my own mix for this song on The Ultimate Bell.
"Geneva on sunny days"
http://www.lyricless.com/view_article.php?id=519

all in all a great album.
best way to discover Mike too!!!
:cool:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
36 replies since April 21 2002, 03:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net