Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Do you know anyone who has bought it, who is not a hardcore fan?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Holger Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 08 2004, 14:02

Just wondering. I don't.
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: June 08 2004, 15:19

At amazon.co.uk some reviewers of TB2003 say they haven't heard the original so they have nothing to compare it to. I think one guy only heard the equally ubiquitous Moonlight Shadow before getting TB2003

So nope, I don't know anyone personally, but I know of them :)
Profile PM 
Q! Offline

Posted: June 08 2004, 16:14

not me. the only person i know who bought it is me.  :)

--------------
http://qisgod.host.sk/
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 09 2004, 07:17

I'll face it, I don't know anyone who ever bought any Mike Oldfield album. ...

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 09 2004, 09:03

Well, I know someone who got to know Mike through me, and has bought and liked TB and TSODE (especially the latter), but is highly unlikely to ever buy any more, unless perhaps it was some kind of compilation and real cheap. That is the kind of person I'm talking about, or maybe people who liked TB in their youth but forgot about Mike afterwards, and now discover he did this re-recording (but then, those are probably the people that bought TBII and got fed up by TBIII's time...)
Profile PM 
Barteque
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 26 2004, 05:05

When I heard that Mike made TB again i said "Why"
Why can't You make a new "Guitars" new "Voyager" . I can't stand tB once again. Of course I liked TB1 and TB2 but 3 and 2003 was horrible and the same as the first ones. I don't understant why is he making it again and again, people doesn't want to hear TB always. I'm waiting for something NEW not remastering the old Album or how do you call it.

Sorry about my english, I'm not from English speaking country.
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2004, 09:23

Quote (Guest @ Oct. 26 2004, 11:05)
When I heard that Mike made TB again i said "Why"
Why can't You make a new "Guitars" new "Voyager" . [...] people doesn't want to hear TB always. I'm waiting for something NEW [...].

A "new Guitars" or a "new Voyager" would be no more "new" than yet another TB, I think... nor would a "new Ommadawn" or "new Amarok" or whatever else people have been demanding in the past. I have a pretty good feeling about the forthcoming album, something tells me it'll be more original than his last few offerings. Of course, only time will tell...
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2004, 10:11

If there were a whole series of bran tubs A to Z, into which you kept dipping your hand; and if you had once pulled a rough gold nugget out of bran tub 'A', then wouldn't you occasionally keep having another go in tub 'A' to see what else you might find? Or maybe you might try polishing the original nugget.

And if someone happened to understand what the heck I'm talking about, perhaps they could explain it to me?
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 26 2004, 10:47

Quote (Alan D @ Oct. 26 2004, 10:11)
If there were a whole series of bran tubs A to Z, into which you kept dipping your hand; and if you had once pulled a rough gold nugget out of bran tub 'A', then wouldn't you occasionally keep having another go in tub 'A' to see what else you might find?

If you like variety, you'll try other tubs. If you're some kind of greedy bastard, you'll never get tired of tub A. :D

But notice that it doesn't mean that tub A WILL give you another gold nugget, so you might end up with... ehh. You know.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
ATTMO Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2004, 15:26

Well as to buying TB 2003. It is like buying a piece of classical music only performed by a different orchestra and conductor. Or maybe arranged by someone else. Well this time it was the same person, but a changed person so the result is simlar.

The only classical music records that I have twice are there twice because I forgot I had them already (like Händels Water/Fireworks music... but the cd was only 2€ so it wasnt much of a loss) or in case of Beethoven because I got a set with all of his works as a present and now own those that I had before twice.

The problem in my eyes is however that it was mike himself who did the rerecording. Thinking selfishly I could say:"He could have used his time to create another album". Yet if it actually was his wish to rerecord it, so it be.

--------------
"Such is life; and we are but as grass that is cut down, and put into the oven and baked" - Jerome K Jerome
Profile PM 
RICHARDGORMLIE Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2004, 12:21

I TOTALLY LOVED TUBULAR BELLS 2003!, IT IS BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL!.  

:cool:  :)  :p
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2004, 16:18

i wouldnt say its better than the original, it is a very good album, but it only sounds like how it would sound on todays technology, the original is better because it is just that, original, the raw emotion and feeling in the album are pure, but after 30 years the things that inspired Mike to write TB have calmed or been put to rest, the re recording is just a celebration of how long the album has stood the test of time  ;)

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
Clark
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 04 2004, 12:35

I have TB2003.  I think it is an interesting project, from a musician's point of view.  To go back to a work done several decades ago and revisit the technique and technology of the origianal, is intriquing.  Of course, many musicians have done this, when you think about it, by keeping a piece in their live repetoire over many years of performance.  And of course that piece, often times, evolves and improves.  In Mike's case, not being a regular live performer and the sheer size of much of his work doesn't lend itself to frequent play.  Therefore, he looked at Tubular Bells then and what he would have changed if he knew then what he knows now.  And how much he has improved and the technology.  And let's not discount John Cleese's amusing reendition of the "Finale" instrument introductions.

Bottm line:  I appreciate both the original and this more recent version about equally.  But I suppose, what gives the original a sentimental edge, is the fact he was so young and just starting his solo career when it was recorded.  But, truly the 2003 version is clearly a better recording, technically .
ForeignAffair Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2012, 13:25

Quote (ATTMO @ Oct. 26 2004, 15:26)
The only classical music records that I have twice are there twice because I forgot I had them already (like Händels Water/Fireworks music... but the cd was only 2€ so it wasnt much of a loss) or in case of Beethoven because I got a set with all of his works as a present and now own those that I had before twice.

But with classical music the way the orchestra and the conductor and the general sound of the location vary is immense! Karajan conducting Beethoven's Symphonies is a very different approach than Georg Solti f.ex.! You can and should listen to different variations of the same symphony, it is like some different piece of music indeed! It's like a lot of cover bands and different singers doing Mike Oldfield's songs with different producers to use a rather crude analogy. Or maybe the analogy is not so bad because we couldn't find out if the composers would agree with what the conductor and orchestra are doing ;)

The influence of the musicians and the ideas of the conductors is essential to the outcome in classical music, and a great difference if it's cut live or a studio recording and the place and producer matter a lot, also how the microphones are placed with a live record and so on. You may listen on Youtube to see I'm not telling you total BS!
Profile PM 
ForeignAffair Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2012, 13:31

on the thread - I just ordered tb 2003 and I can't wait to pop it into the cd player! Yeah you guessed right I'll tell you what I think of it afterwards :)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2012, 17:26

I have never heard anyone talk of this album outside this forum. I don't think it was marketed properly. I wouldn't be surprised if people have bought it by mistake thinking it's the "real deal". A bit like when I bought an old Edgar Froese album only to find that it's been "tangentized"! :-(

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2012, 19:09

@ lars: that's not the only Mike Oldfield album I've ever heard anyone talk about outside of this forum. I've visited lots and lots of music forums over the years, and I've never heard any of the following being mentioned a single time except here:

- Amarok
- Ommadawn
- Hergest Ridge
- Earth Moving
- Incantations
- Islands
- Platinum
- Five Miles Out
- Heaven's Open ...

In short, I really have the feeling that M.O.'s albums in general are very rarely mentioned and/or talked about by people who are not passionate fans of his. TB is almost invariably mentioned outside of here only because of its connection to The Exorcist, and Crises is only known as "the album where Moonlight Shadow is". :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2012, 07:33

Ugo, I have seen several of the albums there reviewed in various magazines (not favourably of course). I never saw a review of TB2003 and I suspect it's because reviewers thought it was another TB re-release. It even looked identical!

Actually, if I was a journalist I wouldn't review something as pointless as a re-recording of a classical album. So I understand.

Edit: I meant "classic" album, not "classical" album.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2012, 08:35

Quote (larstangmark @ Jan. 26 2012, 13:33)
Actually, if I was a journalist I wouldn't review something as pointless as a re-recording of a classical album. So I understand.

Indeed journalists do only review reissues when they contain previously unissued bonus material, and most often they review only the bonus material. TB2003 is not only not a reissue, but it doesn't contain any bonuses. Mike O. has stated it was done mostly for himself, and I suppose it was. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2012, 17:11

I actually have talked to people - well, one person at the very least, but I seem to remember more - who weren't hardcore fans but did know and like - or at least were impressed by - Amarok. They didn't know the name though, they called it the "one song album" or something like that.
Profile PM 
19 replies since June 08 2004, 14:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net