Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Do you have a question for Mike?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Clodomir Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 23 2012, 10:45

I have a couple of questions, and as I'm trying to avoid "why" questions (it seems Mike hates them), I turned them into is it/does it so there are a bit longer...

- The Deluxe reissues are great. However, they seem to leave out a few tracks or edits, to name a few : Vivaldi, Don Alfonso, Ommadawn single french edit, Froggy-went-a-courting, Alright Now... Is there any chances these tracks will be reissued on a "Rarities" compilation ?

- All your albums since the late 80s seem to have been built around a strong challenging idea or concept: follow-up to Tubular Bells, music of a book, album only with guitars, classical album... rock album. Does it mean you need something challenging to get inspiration and you're done with the idea of a "classic oldfield" album (e.g. a long instrumental and shorter ones + a few songs or anything without a strong concept) ?

--------------
Mike Oldfield - Blog d'une passion
http://www.mike-oldfield.net
Profile PM WEB 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2012, 12:22

Now that he's making a rock album does this mean we'll hear some steel string acoustic solo or rhythm parts?

Does Mike believe that musicians only have a finite amount of musical ideas. Does composing music become easier or harder when he's already racked up hundreds of original compositions?
Profile PM 
Amarch Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2012, 03:31

I've got 2 (probably stupid) questions:
1. As the Deluxe Editions are (as far as I can judge) mainly for collectors and hardcore fans (who maybe already have these albums at home), why were songs like Froggy, Don Alfonso, Sally Alright Now, etc., left out?
2. In your career you have released a lot of B-sides and (sometimes obscure) non-album tracks. What do you think of these songs today? Do you still like them? Are you embarassed about them (especially Don Alfonso, which is from my point of view a totally underrated masterpiece)?
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2012, 09:31

Is there any song or piece of music you wish you had written and why? Is there any genre of music you have not yet tried and have a burning desire to have a go at? Who would be your dream vocalist, if you could choose anyone (alive or dead)?

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
Konstantin Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2012, 13:25

I wanna join this one question we all would like to ask...
- How about making a tour or at least a concert?

And couple of questions from me, personally.
- Have you ever visited Russia?
- Would you like to visit Russia? =)) (not with a concert, just for yourself)

Thank you
--
From Russia, with love.
Profile PM 
yhtomitb Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2012, 17:51

I'd love to see you perform in person. Is there a chance that you will ever tour in the USA?
Profile PM 
backwoodsman Offline

Posted: Nov. 25 2012, 07:10

- Will there be any instrumental tracks (long or short) on the new rock album?
- Do you have any plans of doing any more long instrumental works in the future?
Profile PM 
northpoint Offline

Posted: Nov. 25 2012, 07:14

In 1983 you created your own record label, Oldfield Records, that as fas as I know, has only released one album, David Bedford´s "Stars Clusters, Nebulae & Places in Devon". Have you ever considered creating a real record label to sponsor new or unknown talents? Something like what Peter Gabriel did with Real World.
Profile PM WEB 
monnamoon Offline

Posted: Nov. 25 2012, 20:12

The Music always expresses the desires of an artist, a look beyond the closed door......

An inner journey to self-discovery into spiritual growth.

The Music is the most abstract and transcendental form of art.

What do you think about it?      

Thanx.          

Marco :)
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Nov. 25 2012, 21:15

My question would be:

Do most of your musical ideas pop up in your head when doing something completely different or is it a rare thing and playing an instrument is what makes you inspired?

I would be curious about Torsten's answer, as well. :)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Legend Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2012, 02:22

What inspires you the most when you are writing your longer passionate and beautifully touching instrumental compositions?
Profile PM 
leesonar Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2012, 15:29

What's the chance of Mike using some diminished, augmented and suspended chords on the rock album, this will give it an exotic ...Queen like sound, this will make an excellent album and lift the album above the 3 chord wonder guitarists. Avoid power chords, thrash and stick to what you are best at. Cheers...
Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2012, 15:53

Hi. 3 questions for Mike:
1) Will there be any live dates after the new album?
2) Would Mike consider making the demos for the new album with his own vocals on available for fans at some point in the future, either as a bonus CD or to download?
3) Will the remasters series continue all the way up to Heaven's Open, and will the Exposed album appear as a remaster at any point as it appears to have been missed? There must be loads of live recordings from that tour for bonus material.
MANY THANKS!!

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
joe71 Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2012, 15:55

I'd like to ask him if he had never thought about creating an app for Ipad as Jordan Rudess or others did. It could be very intersting to have a music making tool conceived by Mike himself.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 27 2012, 05:04

Quote (SimonUK @ Nov. 26 2012, 19:53)
3) Will the remasters series continue all the way up to Heaven's Open, and will the Exposed album appear as a remaster at any point as it appears to have been missed? There must be loads of live recordings from that tour for bonus material.

I had to send the questions over to Torsten before this came through, but I can have a go at this one. Whether Torsten and Mike will also have had a look here, I don't know - with the Facebook questions included, there were so many that, even though I also sent him a version with the questions shortened and duplicate/similar questions combined together, I have a feeling he won't be able to answer all of them. With any luck, there should be an answer that covers your other two questions (and joe71's) anyway (at least, questions about those broad areas are in there - I'm not really sure how Torsten's planning on going about this). Anyway, to your question...

As far as I've heard from Universal up until now, the plan is definitely to release everything up to and including Heaven's Open. It's the only way to keep them available to buy, as all that's left of the Virgin editions is whatever retailers might still have in stock.

Exposed is one which they're leaving until the end. You're right that there are loads of recordings from that tour and that's precisely the reason they haven't made a firm decision about what to do yet! It's possible they might even release all of it as a big boxed set of some kind, but that could depend on a lot of things (including what Mike ends up being happy with). It's definitely not been forgotten about, though, they just don't want to say too much until they've properly worked out what to do.

Anyway, I hope Torsten manages to put as many questions to Mike as possible and that we get enough interesting answers to keep everyone happy! Hopefully this won't be the last opportunity to do this anyway :)
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2012, 09:43

Thanks for the updates Korgie, that's interesting that we will have deluxe editions up to and including Heaven's Open, because that means we have a further 8 albums to come, providing The Killing Fields is included in this release plan? But it also means Amarok deluxe is to come :) which should be interesting, because for me, sonically it's already amazing, I use it as a reference CD on audio equipment, so I am wondering if we will get to hear Amarok in 5.1 surround?
Do you have any idea as to how we will get the answers from Mike Torsten is asking? will they be on his facebook page? or on Tubular.net?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2012, 12:08

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Nov. 27 2012, 13:43)
Thanks for the updates Korgie, that's interesting that we will have deluxe editions up to and including Heaven's Open, because that means we have a further 8 albums to come, providing The Killing Fields is included in this release plan?

Certainly I'd hope there are deluxe editions for all of them and not just plain re-releases! Last I asked, The Killing Fields was definitely part of the plan and I think should appear alongside Discovery (they certainly made it sound like it would be part of the chronological order rather than coming at the end like the live stuff...and...I'm not sure they've ever said quite what's going to happen to the Orchestral Tubular Bells either).

But it also means Amarok deluxe is to come :) which should be interesting, because for me, sonically it's already amazing, I use it as a reference CD on audio equipment, so I am wondering if we will get to hear Amarok in 5.1 surround?

I'd certainly really hope Mike's not dropped that idea, yes! There are so many layers in Amarok that it could be really quite fascinating to hear them all spread out a bit more, as they could be in a 5.1 mix. I'd love to have to go at it if Mike doesn't ;)

Do you have any idea as to how we will get the answers from Mike Torsten is asking? will they be on his facebook page? or on Tubular.net?

He's not really said what's going to happen to it...I certainly hope we'll get something back to put up here. I think he's probably got a lot keeping him busy at the moment (including being sent a huge pile of questions for Mike), so the email conversations have been rather one sided lately!
Profile PM 
yhtomitb Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2012, 12:41

Concerning Exposed, I'd really love to see the concert video made available again, as the eBay prices for the previous video release are outrageous. I've been looking for years and just can't seem to find an affordable one. Hopefully that will be included in the Deluxe Edition.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2012, 16:50

Quote (yhtomitb @ Nov. 27 2012, 12:41)
Concerning Exposed, I'd really love to see the concert video made available again, as the eBay prices for the previous video release are outrageous. I've been looking for years and just can't seem to find an affordable one. Hopefully that will be included in the Deluxe Edition.

The exposed dvd is 13£ at amazon co.uk. Is that out of your price range? :O

I would like to ask Mike if he ever (pre-exegesis) considered going the "serious" path, becoming a composer and studio musician? Was going on tour with a band and recording rock oriented album the obvious thing to do, or did he ever have second thoughts about this?
I have been listening to "Instruction for Angels" by David Bedford. Listening to Mike's part I can easily imagine him composing and performing electric guitar as a concert instrument in a classical/semi classical context and doing that (in total obscurity) for decades to come.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2012, 16:59

I'm too late, but my question would have been about Luke's involvement with the nurses to start the question softly and then bring my conspiracy theory that he is secretly behind Light + Shade.
Profile PM 
60 replies since Nov. 21 2012, 16:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net