Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Disposable Temporary Discussion Thread.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
olracUK Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 30 2007, 06:09

The main reason for Avatars is so we can see each other in the on-line play. Plus they (especially in Maestro) add a certain challenge to your flying skills  ;)

Try flying the big ship around! (from Maestro balloon world)

Shooting projectiles can make a difference in TL, just try shooting different things at green trees for instance.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 30 2007, 06:17

Quote (Holger @ June 30 2007, 10:40)
- What are the avatars for? I can't seem to find a use for them, other than flying faster.

Two reasons:

1. When you play online, you need to be controlling an avatar, otherwise no one will be able to see you. For example, if we were playing an online game, and you were controlling one of the butterflies, then I would see your butterfly moving around the landscape. And vice versa. That's part of the magic of the online games.

Also, on a purely practical level, it means that if you ask me to show you where something is, I can fly there and you can follow. So it's worth practising with the avatars even though I know it may seem easier without them.

2. Each avatar 'handles' differently, and is more or less difficult to fly. So the big airship is pretty difficult to fly, but it gives a different 'feel' to the game. Some people find they feel comfortable with certain avatars and tend to use them just because they 'fit'.

- Does it actually make a difference what projectiles you shoot?

Sometimes it does. Take a look at this thread.

Couldn't find the answers after looking around this forum a bit.)

Thanks for pointing this out. I've added a bit to the avatars section here

[Later: Didn't see your post Andy - I seem to have duplicated your effort.]
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 30 2007, 07:38

Thanks Andy and Alan!
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2007, 16:21

-- Volcano world --
Hi you MVR die-hard gamers!

Well, returning from two weeks of holidays with water from above and below and memorizing of 600-odd tricky questions as a certified hobby skipper for sailing and motor boats, I just couldn't wait to launch TresLunas once again.
After the saucer took me into the volcano, I thought: 'hey, I can't remember anybody reporting to have tried to get out of here before?'
And - behold - I somehow managed to pass the barrier and escape through the shaft, into a black void! Besides the volcano shaft and cave (all that was left from the volcano), I managed to spot some other landscape features floating around: the temple with the wishing well, the two ringhead hills, a group of trees and (at least) one set of the green crystals, all guarded by the silver flying saucer.

Sorry, could not take any screenshot - will try next time...

Andreas
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2007, 18:03

I hope you passed your test Captain Shulz! What's the pointy end of the boat called again?  :p

Anyway, I remember hitting reverse just as you entered the volcano sometimes worked, but I only did it a few times.

Glad to see people still playing, I haven't played for a few months but may start agin now.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2007, 16:18

Well, I guess I have to brush up my naval english before going into details...
Anyway, I may have missed the opportunity to push our sailing trainer into TresLunas - I guess he might have liked it, since he's much into computer, video and chill-out music: he borrowed us a DVD he made about a fortnight sailing tour around Cape Hoorn which he did a few years ago, and to which he added the musc from the album 'Weltreise' by Schiller...
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2007, 09:18

Quote (a_r_schulz @ Aug. 31 2007, 21:21)
-- Volcano world --

After the saucer took me into the volcano, I thought: 'hey, I can't remember anybody reporting to have tried to get out of here before?'
And - behold - I somehow managed to pass the barrier and escape through the shaft, into a black void! Besides the volcano shaft and cave (all that was left from the volcano), I managed to spot some other landscape features floating around: the temple with the wishing well, the two ringhead hills, a group of trees and (at least) one set of the green crystals, all guarded by the silver flying saucer.

The escape from the volcano was first done by Colin (The Thin Man) if I recall correctly, and the gallery on Tim's oldfield.info site had a number of pictures of the 'outside the volcano world' which of course are now gone. However I can't remember ever spotting other landscape features such as those you saw, Andreas, and I certainly don't remember seeing the flying saucer out there. We should definitely add an entry for this to the TL Guide, as we've missed it, somehow.

Maybe between us we can gather a few pictures for it?
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2007, 14:59

Hi Alan,

I still have a few pictures of volcano world lurking on my hard disk.  Am not sure how to upload them to tubular.net but I could email them to you as they are only 30-40kb each.

I, too, don't remember any features outside the volcano, but it's pretty scary exploring this world when it's black in most directions!  Congratulations to Andreas for finding more bits and pieces.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2007, 03:56

Thanks Colin.

OK, I have Colin's pics, and the question now is where to put the info on Volcano World. I'd like to restrict the number of threads to 20 so that all the initial options are clearly presented on a single page, rather than spilling over clumsily into two (it doesn't seem to be possible to change the number of threads per page, which is set at a maximum of 20).

So ... because it's another 'unofficial' world, I thought it might be reasonable to attach it to the 'Firebeings World' thread (since both of these worlds are accessed via the firebeings ringhead). I've changed the title of that thread accordingly, ready for adding the extra post/pics when I have time to do it.

Meanwhile, if anyone can think of a better place to put it, let me know.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 14 2007, 07:14

Is Thin Man *that* Colin?

If so, thanks again for sorting out my Proxy problems many years ago, I am still using my MusicVR build with the window title "Matthew's Special Version"  :D

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2007, 08:48

Quote (Matt @ Sep. 14 2007, 12:14)
Is Thin Man *that* Colin?

No, Matt. The Colin you're referring to is Colin Dooley.

Both Colins are fine fellows though!
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2007, 15:46

No Matt, The Thin Man is *this* Colin

:D
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2007, 12:24

Just to explain that I'm not actually being lazy about adding this to the Guide. I've been trying to repeat the volcano trick myself in order to (a) get a few more pics; and (b) provide some tips about how best to succeed.

Alas, I'm sorely in need of tips myself. When The Thin Man first did this, he reported that the trick was to position yourself just in front of the saucer as it flies down the volcano shaft, and then zoom up the shaft as soon as released. I don't seem to be able to achieve this - despite my efforts to stay in front, the saucer seems to flick me behind it as it enters the lava chamber, and by the time I've reorientated myself the barrier is in place.

I know I used to be able to do this! One problem is that because you have to go through the whole firebeings ride and Tai Chi dance every time, it takes ages between attempts.
Profile PM 
14al Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2007, 12:49

I have tried it last week and also bumped into the barrier but I just clicked and pushed a couple of times and got through it. This is probably the same way I did a couple of times before, long long ago. But out side it is empty I have never seen anything, accept for the volcano itself.

Ron
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2007, 15:28

Yeah, I've done it! It seems that was easier than we thought, after all, as Ron has pointed out. You just need to collide with the barrier at full speed (at any time), and you'll be out.

And this time, knowing that Andreas found something, I searched, and I've been able to find the flying saucer, the two ringhead hills, the wishing well, a set of crystals, a piano, a ring of mushrooms and some trees. It's much easier to find them than it seems, once you find the saucer, which is visible all the time. I can add it to the guide, if you agree.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2007, 16:11

Quote (Trinidad @ Sep. 17 2007, 20:28)
I can add it to the guide, if you agree.

Go for it, Trinidad!

(The thread where I was suggesting we should add it is this one.)
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2007, 15:07

Thanks for adding such a comprehensive explanation, Trinidad.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2007, 16:58

I finally managed to get through the barrier in the shaft (not entirely sure how, after several failed attempts), but alas, although I tried my best to follow your instructions Trinidad (and I can see they are very clear) - I scoured the blackness for any sign of anything at all - but all I could find was blackness.
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2007, 17:16

It may be a change back with the new free versions of the MVR games - at least, I recently also managed to escape from the bells cave in Maestro, passing besides the 'glass window' at the blind ending - which, AFAIR, had been blocked for some time.

And now, off to bed, hoping that Maggie Reilly's angel's voice will keep on singing in my dreams - having just had the awesome pleasure to see (and hear!;) her and her excellent band live on stage tonight here in Bremen.
So now I've had 'Moonlight Shadow' and 'To France' live twice in a year - first the 'real' guitar and the 'false' voice at the Nokia night of the Proms, and now the 'real' voice, although 'false' guitar. Just have to put both of them together in my dreams (i.e. the 'real' ones, of course..).
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2007, 17:43

Sounds like you had a lovely evening.

Quote (a_r_schulz @ Sep. 23 2007, 22:16)
It may be a change back with the new free versions of the MVR games - at least, I recently also managed to escape from the bells cave in Maestro, passing besides the 'glass window' at the blind ending - which, AFAIR, had been blocked for some time.

You might have something there (though I wonder why Colin would make such obscure changes at this stage?). For the record, my version is NOT the free version - I still have 1.3b installed. (Which version were you using Trinidad?)

Incidentally Andreas, in my version of Maestro (1.3b) I can get past the dead-end window in the bells cave.
Profile PM 
102 replies since April 30 2006, 09:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net