Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Disposable Temporary Discussion Thread, WARNING! SPOILER ALERT!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Thin Man Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 29 2008, 11:46

Quite right Andreas!  I had forgotten that.  Or rather I had omitted it as there is no need to leave the Labyrinth just to re-enter Terrain when on the medal quest.  But it should be added parenthetically at least.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 29 2008, 12:43

Don't worry - we can patch in all the extra bits eventually. There's going to be a lot of this sort of thing!
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2008, 03:32

Colin (Thin Man) has suggested that now that all the medals are in, it would be a good idea if I were to remake that thread with the medals in the right order. The only way to do this is for me to make a NEW thread, transfer the posts across in the right sequence, and then delete the old one.

The result of this would be that all the posts in the new thread would appear with my name. In one sense that's OK - I can credit each post separately - but in another it may not be - because from that point onwards the only person who can edit those posts will be me.

So there are two questions: (1) Should I do this? (2) If I do, does anyone want me to wait until they're sure they don't want to make any more changes themselves?
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2008, 10:10

Alan,

I'd recommend leaving them for a while so that people have time to absorb what's written, try things out, and make any necessary additions or corrections.

Then, maybe after a month or two, move them into a new structure having the right order of medals.  I don't mind you having your name on the top so long as credit is given where it's due!
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2008, 16:00

Hi Alan,

In your new thread concerning the different lighting colours, you refer to blue light as the condition you reach when switching from red light using the left hand switch.

However, isn't blue light the condition you find yourself in when returning a gravitar, or firing repeatedly at the right hand switch?

Are you going to introduce a different term for the gravitar returning light?  Or perhaps, we should stick with normal or daylight for your blue light?

I can feel confusion coming on!
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2008, 16:11

Quote (The Thin Man @ Mar. 10 2008, 21:00)
I can feel confusion coming on!

Yes I know!!!!

There's been great confusion about this over the years, because different people have used different names. What I've suggested is three new names:
red light
blue light
musical blue light

I'm more than happy to change what I've done if people find it confusing, and I've settled on these names just so we can try them for size, as it were. The problem is that the two kinds of blue light are so similar that really only the presence of the music clearly distinguishes between them. Can you read through the whole thread, click on all the links (especially the two kinds of blue light links, which illustrates the problem of trying to decide what is blue and what is not), and then come back again and say what you think?
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2008, 19:59

Personally, I've always thought of the "second phase" after starting the game as "Daylight". So what Alan calls Blue, I call Day. And the gravitar returning light is "Blue" to me.

Just my thoughts.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2008, 04:35

Quote (olracUK @ Mar. 11 2008, 00:59)
Personally, I've always thought of the "second phase" after starting the game as "Daylight". So what Alan calls Blue, I call Day. And the gravitar returning light is "Blue" to me.

Yes I know, Andy - but look at this thread, and scroll down to my two posts about 'blue' and 'musical blue' lights. In the 'musical blue' post, click on the links to see the images comparing my 'blue' (your daylight) with my 'musical blue' (which you call 'blue' ) and you will see the problem!! Everybody calls these two colours different things, but they are virtually (if not exactly) the same! The only clear and describable difference is the presence of the music.

Just to be clear, here they are:
This is 'blue' light (what you call daylight).
This is 'musical blue' light (what you call blue).
Where's the difference, apart from the presence of music?

(Just in case you think I might have made a mistake, here's a shot that can only be taken in musical blue light. Again - it looks just the same as Colin's 'normal', your 'daylight', and my 'blue'. A rose by any other name .....)
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2008, 08:07

Alan,

I think both your pictures are in what I call "normal" or daylight.  The giveaway is that I can see the rainbow colours in the long tube leading off from the tunnels room towards the right of your pictures.

In what I call blue light (your musical blue light), there is a blue fog which makes it impossible to see details in the distance, and certainly not their colours.  In a shot from the same place the tubes from the tunnels room would appear as blue silhouettes having no colours at all.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2008, 08:35

I definitely see fog in my "Blue Light" too. Maybe something to do with game settings or video cards?

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2008, 11:46

Ah! Some kind of light dawns (no pun intended). I'd switched off the 'fog' setting for the purpose of these screenshots deliberately so that more details could be seen.

This really does make things difficult, because we can't know whether players will choose to enable fog or not. But in any case, what does this mean? Is the only difference between the two kinds of blue light caused by fog? It begins to look like it. In other words, is the 'whiteness' that some people associate with the 'gravitar' light really just ordinary blue, plus fog?

How do we resolve this, when we all refer to these colours differently, and the whole thing is additionally confused by whether fog is enabled or not? I still think we run the risk of being misunderstood unless we use some name that refers to the music (which is the only clear distinction that will always work), but I'm happy to go with the majority decision - if only we can decide what the majority decision is!

(We could call them red, blue, and foggy blue - but if a player has switched off the fog, he won't see any difference in the blues.)
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2008, 16:16

Hmmmm....

I've just had a quick go with the fog disabled and you are quite right (not that I doubted you! ), blue light is indistinguishable from normal/daylight.

Perhaps "musical blue light" is the way to go, but I'd urge people to enable the fog so they don't miss out on the extra ambience it gives.

I never had any problems with fog enabled on a 2001-vintage PC so I shouldn't think many people would need to disable it on more modern machines?
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2008, 17:26

Quote (The Thin Man @ Mar. 11 2008, 20:16)
Perhaps "musical blue light" is the way to go, but I'd urge people to enable the fog so they don't miss out on the extra ambience it gives.

Sometimes I've disabled the fog just for the fun of it - to see things differently.

OK, well, I can add some extra comments in that 'musical blue' post and expand on the effect that fog has - or maybe we should add an extra post on 'the effect of fog'?

But we need to make a decision on the basic names before we go on. Is anyone unhappy with red, blue, and musical blue? Please, anybody - say what you think if you can come up with better names.

(For example, 'dim red', 'bright blue', 'musical blue' might be even clearer. Or how about 'dim light', 'daylight', and 'musical daylight'?)
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2008, 10:50

If we are voting, I go for 'dim light', 'daylight', and 'musical daylight'.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2008, 11:29

Voting sounds like a good way to go, Colin - please state your preferences, folks!
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2008, 12:40

Red light, Day Light and Musical Daylight for me.

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2008, 13:30

If we amalgamate those, would it keep everyone happy?

Dim red light, Day light, and Musical daylight?

[PS: Why does everybody dislike 'blue'? - not that it matters!]
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2008, 15:06

I don't dislike the term blue, however I prefer it to refer to the blue light condition and not daylight!

:cool:
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2008, 07:30

Im fairly new to the Game.. But my first reaction to the Lights without any input was  that the Red Switch when Hit seemed to change the Light to a Sort of White Light which Illuminated all the Game and Tunnels making it easier to look around the Darker Places...   The Other Light Switch ie Musical Blue was deff that an obvious Blue with the Mist and All...  

Picked up a few things flying around the Game as regards Game Play... If you go into Terrain without a Avatar and head off to the Hedge Maze.. Make sure you get High Then Look Down and Aim for the Centre before the Gravity Grabs you..
Saves walking to the centre then..

also in jets I found it easier to Chase the Jets down if you get low under the Clouds you seem to have more speed..

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2008, 06:49

I've now edited the whole 'light switches' thread here to include everything we've been talking about, adding extra pictures to show the fog effects. I've settled on 'dim light' in the end, rather than 'red dim light' because if fog is enabled it isn't really red any more, but purple.

If anyone has any more ideas/suggestions to make it clearer (or closer to what you think it should be), please say.
Profile PM 
91 replies since Feb. 05 2008, 03:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net