Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Disposable Temporary Discussion Thread.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Trinidad Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 25 2007, 13:48

First time I tried with version 1.2f, but I have just tried with versions 1.3, and 1.4* (I suppose this' the free one, isn't it? I've just downloaded it). I don't have the 1.3b version, so I can't try it. I can imagine something that Colin could have changed in that version that wouldn't allow you to see the flying saucer - a subtle change, which I would say he's been adjusting on many versions, and that's somehow related to our old friend, the depth buffer - but I find it highly improbable.

It may be, actually, a problem with your depth buffer, or with another aspect of your graphics card, but I wouldn't bet for that.

I think it could be that, in my explanations, it's not clear enough how tiny the flying saucer is shown on screen. The image of the small point is actually magnified; it's really, say, 4, 5, 6 pixels, or invisible, depending on your position and viewing angle. But as long as your "head" is moving, you should notice it, like sparkling, but VERY tiny.

Maybe it can be easier to spot using lower screen resolutions (i.e. bigger pixels). I've tried at 1280x1024 and 800x600, and I've seen it.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2007, 15:59

I'll have another go. But I think you might have something there with the depth buffer issue.
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2007, 21:20

I think this time the depth buffer is innocent. When I set the color depth to 16-bit in the 1.2f version, the game also chooses a 16-bit depth buffer in my computer, and I still can see it. IIRC, you had a 16-bit depth buffer (a lower option could be 15-bit, which is quite improbable, and I'm not sure if there exists an 8-bit one, but the game would be unplayable with it).

I can't try it with the 1.3 or 1.4* versions, since they always set a 24-bit depth buffer, but I'm 99% sure that it's the same with them.

Anyway, it's tinier than I though, usually just one pixel, two at most, when visible. Don't move the view too slow, or you'll miss it.
Profile PM 
102 replies since April 30 2006, 09:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net