Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Disposable Temporary Discussion Thread.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 30 2006, 09:45

I think maybe we need this disposable temporary discussion thread - just to swap ideas while we're building it up, and to avoid confusion among ourselves.

If you want to make a post (or posts), and it's not completely clear where or how to make it, float the idea here in this thread and we'll pool our collective wisdoms to find an answer.

The danger I'm most aware of is for everything to get scattered about so that as the guide gets bigger, it becomes harder and harder to use. Basically, the thread titles are going to be the things that hold it all together I think.

So I'd say... we need to think carefully about each new thread that we start, and we shouldn't start new ones needlessly. I'm assuming we'll be able to patch up things that become too tangled, but María and I are both new to this, so I think we'd want to reduce such messes to a minimum.

The kind of thing in my mind is to have threads with general titles like the ones that are there already, and also titles like these:

The ringheads
The games
The portals

I think to maintain the clarity, individual posts would be best just tackling one thing at a time - a post shouldn't be a long article but a digestible mouthful. Extra posts can be added to make additional points.

And also, to distinguish between 'official' and 'unofficial' aspects of the game, we could indicate the unofficial ones (which are the ones we're most interested in, in many ways) in the thread headings:

How to get through the barriers and reach the daliphants (unofficial)
Space Arrow World (unofficial)
Firebeings World (unofficial)
Ants World (unofficial)
Snowy Owl's World (unofficial)
Swords Game World (unofficial)
Seagull World (unofficial)
Horses World (unofficial)
etc....
Profile PM 
14al Offline

Posted: April 30 2006, 12:53

I have add some things to the things Alan raised. Maybe we can try to complete something like this as a start. Feel free to change or edit.

-Ringheads (1 to 6)
-Complete the 7 rings game (location of all the rings, all different ways to get 7)
-Games (swords, rings, piano’s, dices, dolfins, sprites)
-Events (butterfly ball, 3 green trees)
-Special event (shooting avatars, .....)
-Worlds (space scater, mike’s world, moon, canyon, ..)
-Special golden rings (to return, or change music)
-Diamond rings
-Avatars (list where to find them)
-Shooting stuff (rings, gold etc, where to find them)

-How to get through the barriers and reach the daliphants (unofficial)
-Space Arrow World (unofficial)
-Firebeings World (unofficial)
-Ants World (unofficial)
-Snowy Owl's World (unofficial)
-Swords Game World (unofficial)
-Seagull World (unofficial)
-Horses World (unofficial)
etc....
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 01 2006, 14:30

Quote (14al @ April 30 2006, 17:53)
-Avatars (list where to find them)

I've put a list of avatars in the FAQ thread, because it is in fact one of the most common questions when people play online.

Is it OK there, or does it need a section all to itself? (There's nothing more to say about them, really)
Profile PM 
14al Offline

Posted: May 02 2006, 14:39

Alan,

In the 7 ring game you could add that after collecting three rings the flight to tai chi island can also be triggered by firing rings at the ring on top of the stone henge portal, you will fly with the seagul but different music (saw this in a thread, can't remember who found this out)

[This note has now been added to the original post on the 7 ring game]
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 02 2006, 15:14

Quote (14al @ May 02 2006, 19:39)
In the 7 ring game you could add that after collecting three rings the flight to tai chi island can also be triggered by firing rings at the ring on top of the stone henge portal, you will fly with the seagul but different music (saw this in a thread, can't remember who found this out)

Absolutely - just add a post yourself in that thread, Ron. There are lots of extra details like that which I hope people will add themselves.

At some stage we'll tidy up each thread when it starts to get messy, and collate posts together - we can do it in a way that preserves the name of each poster, so nothing important will be lost. (We don't need to worry about that yet.)
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 02 2006, 16:49

I have a feeling I've missed something in my description of the bat cave (it's ages since I went there) in the 'ringheads' thread. Can anyone tell me if I have, please? (Is there another ring in there ... a bad one?)
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: May 03 2006, 07:16

I would like to comment about editing posts. If I'm right (am I?), when somebody edits one of his/her posts, the forum doesn't reflect it in the date and the icon (it's like if it wasn't changed). So, this way, somebody could miss something "important".

I suppose it would be better to add new posts than to edit the existing ones (of course, except when you want to change something immediately after writting it). And when changing the first post, grouping the things together, there could be some kind of note, or date changing, or whatever, to reflect the new state.
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: May 03 2006, 07:17

Quote (Alan D @ May 02 2006, 22:49)
I have a feeling I've missed something in my description of the bat cave (it's ages since I went there) in the 'ringheads' thread. Can anyone tell me if I have, please? (Is there another ring in there ... a bad one?)

I've just found the diamond ring so far...
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 03 2006, 12:04

Quote (Trinidad @ May 03 2006, 12:16)
I suppose it would be better to add new posts than to edit the existing ones (of course, except when you want to change something immediately after writting it). And when changing the first post, grouping the things together, there could be some kind of note, or date changing, or whatever, to reflect the new state.

I see what you mean Trinidad, but at the moment that would make quite a lot of good things impossible. For instance, at the moment we're uploading images to the gallery whenever we think they'll illustrate a significant aspect of one of the worlds or threads or posts. I'm then going back, reviewing posts to see if links can be made to any of the new images - and if they can, adding the links (in some cases this means rewriting a part of the post). To keep on doing this as the number of posts and images grows is going to make the final result very rich and rewarding, I think. But in order to achieve it, I have to keep editing existing posts. It would be impossibly cumbersome to add a new post just to make a link to an image.

But I do see what you mean; I just can't see how to solve it.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 04 2006, 03:49

I'm encountering a problem at the moment. If you look at the Space Arrow World thread you'll see a long post (which for some reason gave no problems) followed by a set of short posts. Those posts are so short because the system wouldn't allow me to put more than one link in them - when I tried, a mass of text disappeared when I posted it.

So if you were wondering why I haven't lumped the short posts together, this is why. It's the only way I can find around this bug at the moment. If anyone has any idea how to solve the problem, I'd be glad to hear it.

[This problem is now solved]
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: May 04 2006, 06:05

Apparently, I don't have any problem to do it.

(Please, delete the posts yourself, since I cannot).
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 04 2006, 07:11

It seems to be links to certain images in the gallery (like the recent ones in the Space Arrow World section) that cause the problem. Links elsewhere seem to work ok, as many as you like (as you've found, Trinidad).
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: May 04 2006, 15:46

You're doing a great job here - keep it going!

Don't forget the other unofficial world reached by climbing back out of the volcano before its throat is sealed. [This still needs doing...]

OK, it's not very exciting compared to the mysteries of Space Arrow World, but worth a mention.

The Thin Man
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: May 04 2006, 15:55

Also, maybe consider a thread about Unexplained Features.  For example the strange little portal that sometimes appears near the cactus (and which can often be seen as a couple of pixels in long shots - Siennafoot's discovery).

Or perhaps the ring that appears in the cats/blue mask temple in an opening and closing drawer underneath the collectable ring.

Or the portal on the moon that led to another world in the demos but not the full version.

I'm sure there are many others.

The Thin Man
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: May 04 2006, 17:08

Quote (Alan D @ May 02 2006, 16:49)

i find your description perfectly right and clear.
like trinidad, i've only found one diamond ring there, the one behind the obelisk.

regarding the bats maze, a couple of times i made the trip with the bats very far from the tunnel and i could stay outside the cave when they finished their job, so i could explore both the tunnel and the maze before entering the cave from below.

i was taken by the bats, so i didn't trick them really. then, i won't start a thread about it since u explained well how to get there and there's no method to make it officially unofficial, but i've started a thread in the gallery section with some pics i took.
bats tunnel and maze

it's true that the bats seem even more persistant than the old snowy.. but i still think that if this happened twice, it should be repeatable, no?

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 05 2006, 16:54

Just wanted to say that I'm having all sorts of problems posting image links. The links in the new Horses' World thread don't work at all, and generate an error message - but I can't see why. I've asked Olivier about it.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 06 2006, 11:14

I've solved the image link problem. It occurred whenever an image filename had a dash ("-") in it; also if it had an apostrophe in it. Looks like the inclusion of most punctuation marks were causing trouble.

So I deleted all the problem files and uploaded them all again with new names into new threads, remade the links (it took ages!!! ) - and the Horses World thread is now working, and Space Arrow World thread has been shortened.
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: May 08 2006, 06:23

Two questions:

First, I've just added a commentary in "Horses World" about how to restart the ride, and I wanted to put an image ilustrating it. But I cannot find how to put a new image in the gallery here. Are just admins allowed to do it?

And second, I just want to remark Thin Man's idea of a new thread about "Unexplained Features", or, as I would rather call it, "Unsolved Mysteries" or similar. Should we create it, or just use the "Little extras in the game" thread? I think we should create it, since the other one is for things we already know. We could also add there the bell cursor, so maybe somebody can find it.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: May 08 2006, 08:07

trinidad, i assume u have tried to upload the image with your post in the guide's section itself? i think no one can put an image here. however, u can upload it to the gallery (i think it would fit in the unofficial worlds thread) and then, make a link from the post to the image in the gallery.

in the gallery, click to reply the thread and u will see a small window below labelled 'file attachments' where u can browse for the file u want to upload (always taking care it's not bigger than the size allowed: 102400 bytes) and post it.

about your second question, in my opinion, it would be appropriate to start a thread for the 'unsolved mysteries' / 'unexplained features' like the bell cursor, the ring in the drawer at the temple or the small portal near the cactus, for instance. this sort of features, i think, are different to what we've already got in the thread little extras in the game

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: May 08 2006, 14:17

Unsolved Mysteries is a much better description Trinidad.  Who knows, over time such a thread might dwindle to nothing?

The Thin Man
Profile PM 
102 replies since April 30 2006, 09:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net