Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Discovery, The Killing Fields remasters released< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
First_Excursion Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 22 2016, 01:12

Quote (Argiers @ Feb. 20 2016, 20:01)
There's absolutely no attention to detail. When did he lose that?

I think the mixdown in the olden days was for Mike, something to be pored over and agonised about. You can tell after listening to the reissues how much thought and effort went into those original mixes.  I'm not sure they would ever have struck me so resoundingly without all that attention to detail.

I am quietly hopeful about Mike's new album, a return to his roots apparently. Something a lot of us could really appreciate.  It'll be a shame if the opportunity to deliver something outstanding gets marred by impatience or complacency at the finish line.

Fair enough Mike is semi retired now; I sure can understand he might not want to take it all so seriously. No harm in outsourcing some of the work to someone who does though. Maybe someone like oh... I dunno, Tom Newman. :D  Maybe someone new. Just saying Mike's music benefited from collaboration even when he was at his most energetic. Why avoid it now?
Profile PM 
crises1980 Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2016, 19:31

Quote (Argiers @ Feb. 20 2016, 20:01)
You are so right stpaul.

There's absolutely no attention to detail. When did he lose that?

Could it be Mike's having hearing problems?
Profile PM 
backwoodsman Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2016, 01:46

Quote (crises1980 @ Feb. 22 2016, 19:31)
Could it be Mike's having hearing problems?

This is exactly what i have been thinking about too. He is over 60 years old and at that age people start to lose the ability to hear higher frequencies even if their hearing is good otherwise. Plus, Mike has been a musician his whole life, and it's quite typical for musicians to develop hearing problems since they have been exposed to loud music for so long. If Mike does all these mixes by himself, then it is possible that he just doesn't notice all the details and no one is there to point them out for him.
Profile PM 
TubularUSA Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2016, 09:05

I agree with everyone here and am disappointed that nothing earth-shattering was included with this album.  I love Discovery, but it feels like I purchased the same stuff I have had for years.  I love the mix of music used for Zombies, but Mike should have removed the voice.

Why are there no live concerts included with this Deluxe set either?  After Crises Deluxe, I thought for sure this would be an opportunity to include a really suburb version of a concert from this time.  I had hoped for a complete version of To France from a restored Viareggio or maybe a HQ version from a different venue that most of us wouldn't have.

Oh well...I still buy this stuff because I'm a fan.
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: Feb. 29 2016, 10:22

I like the re-issue, good addition to collection, reasonable price, not sure what people are expecting from a re-relase.

Interesting reading the reviews here, ranging from disappointed to angry.

Looking at the Mike Oldfield Facebook pages, reviews are generally much more positive.

Just wondering, as people on this group usually have anonymous names, whereas on Facebook is is generally a clearly named account, people seem to want to be reflected by positivity, but are happy to post negatively when there is no real trace to their identity.
Profile PM 
ProjectZ Offline

Posted: Feb. 29 2016, 12:20

At the "official" Facebookpages you get banned when you are too critical, too negative with your comments...

--------------
the VANGELIS forum : Invisible Connections ( http://www.vangelis.fr/ )
Profile PM WEB 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2016, 00:19

Yep, it's not the anonymity, it's the freedom to express your honest opinion.
Profile PM 
StrumDynasty Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2016, 09:06

Quote (tarquincat @ Feb. 29 2016, 10:22)
Looking at the Mike Oldfield Facebook pages, reviews are generally much more positive.

Just wondering, as people on this group usually have anonymous names, whereas on Facebook is is generally a clearly named account, people seem to want to be reflected by positivity, but are happy to post negatively when there is no real trace to their identity.

It's quite true that in Mike's Facebook page, free speech is not allowed and that people are banned and blocked for offering fair criticism. See this recent thread here about it:
http://tubular.net/forums....t=11501
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2016, 09:23

& Looking at that thread, the most apt comment to me was:

"I actually feel quite sorry for Mike on it sometimes because I kind of get the impression he would engage and chat on it even more if people didn't jump on everything he did."
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2016, 02:23

Don't worry, Mike's ego gets a good massage over there.
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2016, 09:26

Blimey, some of you guys are pretty bitter
Profile PM 
crises1980 Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2016, 09:38

Quote (tarquincat @ Mar. 09 2016, 09:26)
Blimey, some of you guys are pretty bitter

Just tell me one reason why sheer praising is better than argued criticism. In a non-official forum. For fans, by fans. Who LOVE MOST OF WHAT THE ARTIST DO. Or did, it doesn't matter.

Jeez, I can't understand why people cannot dislike stuff and say it. Is it that bad? Especially when you have LOADS of people sharing their most positive views.

And, yes, I can argue why I do think Mike's having hearing problems and why I don't like his productions anymore.
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2016, 10:39

Not sure a lot of the stuff here is "argued criticism", & not sure what a re-master featuring a "deluxe" edition that costs around £3 more than a standard edition would have to have on it to make people here happy.

Of course. this board reserves the right to post "argued criticism" without getting banned. (Substitute "argued criticism" for constant moaning about any re-master).

No doubt despite the fact I can't be banned here as I can on Facebook, people will try & (strongly) persuade me to leave as they usually do if I disagree with negative comments.

As this board is only for complaints(argued criticism), and the Facebook page is only for sycophants, does anyone know where the "normal" Mike Oldfield fans discuss things ?
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2016, 15:04

i have no complaints about these remasters, nice to have albums with better quality, i can't hear it though anymore, sometime ago i did. when the hdcd versions came out, i seem to like those ones more :laugh:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
TubularUSA Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2016, 14:51

With several of the early Deluxe Editions, there were official concert material included.  I expected some of that to continue moving forward through the catalog.  Now, we get to Discovery which seems to be an opportunistic time to include such concert material officially and we get absolutely nothing.

It's not that I'm being overly critical or unrealistic in my expectations since these Deluxe Editions started out that way.

Also, I wouldn't say these are cheap.  I paid around $30 USD for Discovery and almost $40 USD for Killing Fields here in the US.
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: April 29 2016, 21:05

Even if Mike is having hearing problems (no reason to think so in my op) his headphones would probably correct that. I'm going deaf by heredity and miss many things that even hearing aids cannot correct, but headphones pick up a whole range of frequencies that I can't hear naturally.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 01 2019, 04:17

Quote (MikeArnold @ Feb. 08 2016, 17:55)

Also, it was reported that Mike had originally put the score together using modern instruments, but the movie team decided they wanted a full orchestral score.  

Only speculating here, but I guess Mike originally made the score entirerly using the preset sounds of the Fairlight CMI.
Mike programmed some ok backgrounds with it (just liten to live recordings from the '84 tour), but Mike's electronic score probably wasn't up to par with what (for example) Tangerine Dream's soundtrack work from around the same time.
So I think it's perfectly understandable that the filmmakers wanted something more than he initially delivered.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: June 01 2019, 05:26

I'd still love to hear what he originally delivered. I can't help thinking if it wasn't for that Killing Fields business we might have had another stunning album like Discovery around the time we heard Pictures in the Dark / Legend.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 01 2019, 11:34

Quote (First_Excursion @ June 01 2019, 05:26)
I'd still love to hear what he originally delivered. I can't help thinking if it wasn't for that Killing Fields business we might have had another stunning album like Discovery around the time we heard Pictures in the Dark / Legend.

Absolutely. Killing Fields + the singles b-sides shows he was still writing amazing instrumental music, so in a perfect world he'd another album with short songs on one side, and a long instrumental on the other. :)
That's kind of what I expected "Suite 1984" to be. And boy, was I disappointed. :(

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 01 2019, 20:04

What is "Suite 1984"?
Profile PM 
41 replies since Jan. 30 2016, 02:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net