Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Discovery outro, What's that sound?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 27 2006, 12:19

I loaded Discovery into my walkman today and noticed something peculiar. As the title track ends, Simon Philips does a drum roll and then there's a synth things that goes on for a few seconds. It doesn't sound like it belongs to the track itselfs. Wonder if this could be a piece of an unreleased track from these sessions?

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2006, 15:13

Interesting, I'll go and listen to it...  :)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
tanis573 Offline

Posted: April 26 2007, 23:45

It's a wolf howling.

EDIT: Sorry, I was thinking of Posion Arrows.  I didn't hear anything at the end of Discovery.

--------------
http://www.soundclick.com/mindbridge
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: April 27 2007, 15:36

Listen closely at 4:19 as the last guitar powechord fades out. It's a (propably) programmed synth sequence with two voices. The higher one altering between two notes and a lowe one playing three notes. It's very low in the mix. It's the same tempo as the song, but it's not the same key and doesn't sound like it would naturally belong in the song. Hasn't anyone noticed this?

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 29 2007, 09:06

To me, it seems like a way to add uncertainty to the end of the song, mixing two keys together. It doesn't sound too detached from the song, though. The most similar example I can think of (though not ideal) is The Unforgettable Fire, by U2, that ends with a string section coda that seems to modulate from D minor into A minor. Kind of like ending the statement with an ellipsis instead of a dot...

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
El Mystico Offline

Posted: June 05 2009, 06:09

Bear in mind that, on vinyl and tape, Discovery came at the end of Side 1.
I've always assumed that what you hear at the end is a reference to the start of The Lake - which comes at the end of side 2.
Just a small linkage of the two parts from a man clealy still uncomfortable with producing just a set of short songs.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 05 2009, 08:59

I think this has something to do with the fact that Mike used a Gibson fitted with a Roland pick up that enabled it to be hooked up to a synth.Early pick-ups like this had a few problems.One of them was tracking the notes as the notes on a guitar are made up of overtones and the fundamental.A synth is a lot more straightforward in the way it makes it's sounds.After the drum roll the last chord on the guitar can be heard fading.As a chord on a guitar decays the synth would have had trouble tracking it and would start playing notes almost randomley.
 Just a theory but i do know that this guitar was used and was known as Gibsynth.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 05 2009, 12:29

Quote (The Caveman @ June 05 2009, 08:59)
I think this has something to do with the fact that Mike used a Gibson fitted with a Roland pick up that enabled it to be hooked up to a synth.Early pick-ups like this had a few problems.One of them was tracking the notes as the notes on a guitar are made up of overtones and the fundamental.A synth is a lot more straightforward in the way it makes it's sounds.After the drum roll the last chord on the guitar can be heard fading.As a chord on a guitar decays the synth would have had trouble tracking it and would start playing notes almost randomley.
 Just a theory but i do know that this guitar was used and was known as Gibsynth.

That seems to make quite a lot of sense. And I wouldn't be surprised if Mike had let those "random" notes there on purpose, because the effect is really quite cool.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 06:45

Interesting theory, but the notes don't sound very random to me. I think El Mystico might be right. Perhaps the songs were originally linked together?
If they were using the Fairlight as a click track for all songs, it's also possible that a random sequencer pattern turned up by mistake.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 06:55

I perhaps didn't express myself clearly.What i meant was it was picking up overtones of the chord not actually random notes.As a chord fades certain overtones will fade in and out.I think the stnth was picking these up.Don't rreally see how Discovery was ever linked to The Lake as Discovery ended Side 1 and the Lake ended Side 2.

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 08:47

Quote (The Caveman @ June 24 2009, 06:55)
I perhaps didn't express myself clearly.What i meant was it was picking up overtones of the chord not acyaully random notes.As a chord fades certain overtones will fade in and out.I think the stnth was picking these up.Don't rreally see how Discovery was ever linked to The Lake as Discovery ended Side 1 and the Lake ended Side 2.

So you mean like an arpreggio on the played chord?

I was thinking that there was perhaps another running order of the songs originally. This happened with the first Pink Floyd album. Interstellar was intended to fade into (I think) Lucifer Sam, which explains the abrupt ending.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 08:53

yeah that's what i meant.
I love the first Floyd album.Interstellar fades into The Gnome on released version.Didn't know it was meant to be a different order.Reminds me of many a night getting off my head.Did you get the deluxe version?Worth seeking out.

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 08:58

Yeah or like The Beatles track Her Majesty on Abbey Road,which was originaly placed  between Mean Mr Mustard & Polythene Pam.Which is why you get that big acoustic chord & cymbal splash at the start of it.

I gotta` say out of curiosity I listened to these two sections a little while ago now,and the "link" does sound entirely plausible.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 09:02

That's the wieirdest little song Macca ever wrote i think.Still not convinced on the link.Same synth sound but the fade sounds too natural.IMHO that is  :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Balbulus Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2009, 18:34

I LOVE that sound at the end -- it always gives me the impression of a dark industrial landscape. I'm fairly sure it's a delay loop of guitar textures. I use a lot of delay in my guitar work, and such sounds are easy to make by putting the feedback control up to maximum.

The subtle lower sounds that come in and out of the loop sound more synth-based to me, playing a rising root>fifth>octave figure (like arpeggiating the notes of a powerchord)
Profile PM 
14 replies since Mar. 27 2006, 12:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net