Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Discovery Deluxe, An Ultimate Edition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Delfín Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 01 2009, 06:40

I'm rather sure 'Bones' comes all the way from 'Islands'. In fact, if you notice, the chants are exactly the same as the ones in 'The Wind Chimes'.

Anyway, for not to lead the theme astray any longer, I would say, apart from those two tracks which I consider procedent from other albums, the rest of your selection, and the whole idea is nice :)

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2009, 18:13

Would a delux Discovery album include any live tracks from the period? Many excellent show recordings exist

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
dazzler Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2009, 18:47

Quote (Delfín @ Sep. 01 2009, 06:40)
I'm rather sure 'Bones' comes all the way from 'Islands'. In fact, if you notice, the chants are exactly the same as the ones in 'The Wind Chimes'.

That could be Mike copying himself (again) in Islands.

The shouting of the cattle drivers in The Killing Fields
can be heard in Bones. And why should Mike release a
preview on Islands (1987) in 1984? That's a long gap.

When I add "shouting cattle drivers" to the title "Bones",
the sound of bones and the use of Fairlight it equals The Killing Fields.

In my humble opinion once again ...
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2009, 04:00

Quote (olracUK @ Sep. 01 2009, 18:13)
Would a delux Discovery album include any live tracks from the period? Many excellent show recordings exist

Why not an extra disc with a complete live rendition of the album ? I think a good version could be compiled from various recordings.
I personally don't like live versions as extra material on the same disc. They come across sounding like poor man's versions of the original recording.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Balbulus Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2009, 18:57

I'd personally put "Crime Of Passion" on here, rather than on Crises. It fits with the rest of the Barry Palmer material, although I can see a link with "Moonlight Shadow" from Crises.

If MO had replaced "Saved By A Bell" with "Crime Of Passion", the album would have been almost perfect. I loathe "Saved By A Bell" with a hatred that makes me want to go out and kill people.

No, I do NOT want to look through your f***ing telescope! :(
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2009, 08:21

Never did like Saved By A Bell either.Sounds like he was struggling to write it to me.
 Crime Of Passion should really be in the Discovery re-issue rather than Crises.I belive release wise it sits between the 2 but feels much closer to Discovery in sound.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
dazzler Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2009, 14:08

Crime of Passion is a Moonlight Shadow lookalike.

I think Pictures in the Dark should be on a Discovery reissue.
This song too has Barry Palmer in the background.
It's a bit between To France and Islands.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2009, 03:38

Pictures In The Dark was from 85 so closer to Discovery than Islands.Would be a good inclusion except it predominantly features Anita Hegerland who was featured on Islands where Barry Palmer wasn't.I always felt this belongs with Shine in that they were the only 2 things released between The Killing Fields sound track and Islands.apart from The Complete which is very good compilation IMO.
 A puzzler then for Pictures In The Dark.Discovery or Islands?

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
pilotfish Offline

Posted: July 25 2012, 20:58

CD complete album+b-sides and rare tracks/demos

DVD Live san sebastian 1984 complete concert with remastered sound

I think Pictures in The Dark and Shine should be released in a special compilation for all the tracks that would have been left out the deluxe editions (like Sally !!! ) ,a sort of "join the dots" box set by the Cure but for Mike Oldfield.

It should be called "the rest of Mike Oldfield"  :D

edit : if this compilation ever comes out,please put the orchestral hergest ridge on it !!!
Profile PM 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2014, 08:18

Anyone idea if the deluxe of Discovery will be released this summer? Was wondering if the release of MOTR this month means that we might have to wait longer.

Lots of potential for Live material, as he was still touring regularly then.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 15 2014, 12:52

Quote (Chrissy @ Mar. 15 2014, 12:18)
Anyone idea if the deluxe of Discovery will be released this summer? Was wondering if the release of MOTR this month means that we might have to wait longer.

Good question, though I don't currently have a firm answer to it! I'll ask someone who hopefully can, then let you know...

Mike saying he didn't want to do a 5.1 mix of it makes me want to have a go at it, actually, I think it'd be quite interesting to try. It's a dilemma, though - is the sensible thing to try and keep it roughly the same as the original, or should a remix try and go places the original didn't? Just another part of the 'fantasy re-release' game ;)
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2014, 08:26

Weather a 5.1 mix was the same as the original or go places the original didn't a "Fan" would still say that it's wrong and they could do better, like always happens with Mike's releases :zzz:
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 18 2014, 04:53

I thought Bones was Discovery-era because it was a b-side on some of the To France singles, but Pictures in the Dark, Legend and The Trap were Islands era.

Somewhere between Discovery/TKF and Islands Mike put together that computer animation suite, which is why Virgin released The Complete Mike Oldfield compilation.
Profile PM 
dazzler Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2014, 15:23

I think Discovery and The Killing Fields were recorded in the same period of time.
I can image Mike did some synth cuts for the movie in Geneva.

I wouldn't say Pictures in the Dark is Island era.

There are some Barry Palmer vocal bits in the mix I believe.
And the song replaced Mistake on some continental releases of The Complete.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2014, 18:07

Quote (dazzler @ Mar. 19 2014, 15:23)
I think Discovery and The Killing Fields were recorded in the same period of time.
I can image Mike did some synth cuts for the movie in Geneva.

I wouldn't say Pictures in the Dark is Island era.

There are some Barry Palmer vocal bits in the mix I believe.
And the song replaced Mistake on some continental releases of The Complete.

Pictures in the Dark was released in 1985. Not Islands-era.

Killing Fields was partly recorded in Switzerland according to the discography on this site. Presumably while working on Discovery!

Which could very well explain the mysterious song titles on the photos on the Discovery inner sleeve...  :O

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 19 2014, 21:46

Quote (larstangmark @ Mar. 19 2014, 22:07)
Killing Fields was partly recorded in Switzerland according to the discography on this site. Presumably while working on Discovery!

Yes. He recorded an entire score for it, which was completely electronic, in Denham, but Mike had been working to a four hour rough tape of rushes rather than the final cut of the film, so he had to rework it (Mike's account of what happened when differs from that of the editor Jim Clark in his autobiography - Jim seems to indicate Mike was in Denham when he 'finished' it and they went to listen it there, Mike in Changeling seems to suggest he 'finished' that version of it in Switzerland). It was after that (with Mike having resigned in between) when David Bedford became involved, and they eventually went over from Switzerland to West Germany to record the orchestral parts of the score.

Jim Clark also says that "In the end, I did manage to use quite a lot of his original score. It was electronic and very mixable. You could lay it up and play with it." That, presumably, is what led Mike to complain (in the Two Sides sleeve notes) that "When it came to final cut, they also cut up my music and put [it] with different scenes to those I had written the score for."

Which is a long-winded way of saying yes, the two projects were sandwiched together, though Mike's account in Changeling gives the impression that he suspended work on Discovery while he completed The Killing Fields, rather than that he worked on them completely simultaneously.

Personally, I'd put Pictures in the Dark with Islands - it was part of Mike's video period (and thought up specifically for the video, at least according to what he describes in this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axReygpllCk), ) which ultimately led to The Wind Chimes and Islands. So, I'd see it as part of the beginning of a new set of thought processes, as opposed to it being either an outtake from Discovery or a continuation of a set of thoughts from that time. It does indeed have Barry Palmer on backing vocals, but I'd say the inclusion of Anita Hegerland on lead vocals puts it more firmly into the era of songs he did with her. I imagine that's a debate that could rage for quite some time, though ;)
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 26 2014, 19:09

Quote (Balbulus @ Sep. 13 2009, 08:57)
If MO had replaced "Saved By A Bell" with "Crime Of Passion", the album would have been almost perfect. I loathe "Saved By A Bell" with a hatred that makes me want to go out and kill people.

No, I do NOT want to look through your f***ing telescope! :(

:laugh:

I love Discovery (although, not keen on Saved By a Bell)! And would be very interested to see what bonus tracks appear on the new edition/s I hope are coming soon...?

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
stpaul Offline

Posted: April 18 2014, 10:03

MO on facebook:

Hello everyone and Happy Easter.
I just got the multi tracks of Discovery and The Killing Fields.
The Lake sounds wonderful in 5.1 and also To France.
Can’t seem to find Etude anywhere but will keep looking.
There are a couple of out takes too, tracks I didn’t think good enough to include on the album.
I will post them soon, that's if you would like to hear them?
Hope you all have a great holiday !
Love Mike"

I'm very happy The Killing Fields will be included in the re-releases. I'm looking forward to unreleased tracks as it's know MO recorded al lot more than included on the final album.

I hope they will include a good concert, too.
I really don't need the Viareggio concert for 2 reasons:
-It's available for about 15 years in good audio quality
-It's not one of the best shows: The Fairlights were down  several time and it was not Barry Palmer's best day
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 22 2014, 04:35

Sounds exciting, do we have any idea about what the out takes are that Mike is talking about?
Profile PM 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: May 20 2014, 15:13

Anyone know when we can expect the issue of a Deluxe version of Discovery?

Hopefully it will be in 2014, but was wondering if the release of Man on the Rocks might mean we have to wait a bit longer.
Profile PM 
95 replies since June 23 2009, 16:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net