Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Discovery Deluxe, An Ultimate Edition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
dazzler Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 06 2014, 07:40

Any dates or news concerning the forthcoming rerelease of Discovery and The Killing Fields?
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: July 08 2014, 13:57

Mike was working on Five Miles Out and Crises in March last year, looking back at the reports in News.  The earlier post from stpaul  shows an update from a late Easter this year, but unless they're getting really insular :D , nothing else has filtered out from Facebook since.  If a similar pattern follows, then we could be talking Sep/Oct.  The Killing Fields' release date was in November, but there may be some other 30th anniversary event to work with.

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
dobyblue Offline

Posted: July 16 2014, 10:01

Come on Mike, make these ones CD+BD also for those of us who want lossless 5.1.

Can't wait to hear "The Lake" like this, cracker of a track.
Profile PM WEB 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2014, 15:23

Any sign of Discovery re issue coming out in 2014?
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2015, 07:37

News today that Discovery and Killing fields will be out soon. There will be an extra disc entitled "Suite 1984" which will be in 5.1.
This was posted on Mike's facebook today.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2015, 12:12

I am unbelievably excited about this!!! Discovery is one of my favourite albums of all-time!!!

*Does 999,999,999 Nude Cartwheels*

:D

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2015, 08:11

Suite 1984 sounds interesting, I wonder if that is all unreleased music joined together, Suite sounds like it could be long too ;)
Profile PM 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2015, 16:08

Long Instrumentals - isn't that what us Oldfield fans always crave!  :)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2015, 14:26

I'm speculating here, just for fun!
I think "suite 1984" will be material produced pretty much on the Fairlight system. Perhaps discarded material for Discovery but definately music intended for Killing Fields.
From what I have read Mike composed the entire KF score on the Fairlight and then the director was unhappy with the result because it didn't sound soundtrack-ish enough, so Mike had to re-write and re-record a lot of material in a more conventional Hollywood manner.

Anyway, I am really excited to hear this!

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
stpaul Offline

Posted: April 04 2015, 18:30

Quote (larstangmark @ Mar. 31 2015, 14:26)
I'm speculating here, just for fun!
I think "suite 1984" will be material produced pretty much on the Fairlight system.

I think so, too. And I keep my fingers crossed that a really good concert will be included and NOT Viareggio.
Profile PM 
scienceguy Offline

Posted: April 05 2015, 08:56

Can't wait for this!  :)
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 08 2015, 11:47

Quote (larstangmark @ Mar. 31 2015, 19:26)
From what I have read Mike composed the entire KF score on the Fairlight and then the director was unhappy with the result because it didn't sound soundtrack-ish enough, so Mike had to re-write and re-record a lot of material in a more conventional Hollywood manner.

What's weird is that lots of Hollywood scores were basically just Fairlight or Fairlight with Synclavier at this point.

The Neverending Story, The Name of the Rose, Scarface, Full Metal Jacket, Terminator 2, Das Boot and The Dark Crystal all had lots of Fairlight on their soundtracks.
Profile PM 
dobyblue Offline

Posted: May 29 2015, 10:29

With Five Miles Out and Crises adding dts 2496 in addition to the DD 5.1 the initial deluxe editions were handicapped with, hopefully the upcoming Discovery might move to HFPA. UMe have supported the format with a number of releases but when I asked them why no lossless Mike Oldfield they said it was the artist's decision. I asked Mike why on his FB page, quoting UMe, and got banned.

Anyway, Killing Fields and Discovery if they have High Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-ray release will be day one preorders for me. If they're lossy 5.1 on DVD-Video then I'll hold off until I see a sale.
Profile PM WEB 
ESentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2015, 13:59

Just wanted to say I've been looking forward to this since 2013 and I am still willing to hear news from Mike about this new re-release. :)
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2015, 07:49

Is there a danger this will not now be released ?

Presumably the record company have to balance the cost of production against not just the selling of this cd & the Deluxe versions, but the re-invigoration of an artist, that will result in selling more TB & best of copies.

If they feel the remasters have little effect on back catalog sales & only occupy the very lower region of the charts in thereselves, will they stop ?

We are getting towards a part of the catalog that didn't sell massively first time round.

Digital only releases may be the way forward with lower overheads. I'm a physical copy person myself so hoping not....
Profile PM 
JTI Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2015, 13:31

I share everyone's pain at this excessive waiting and anticipation...it has gone on long enough that I am starting to wonder....

By coincidence I noticed that Mike's deal with Universal is 10 years old this year (signed in 2005), so not sure if his deal with them was a 10-year deal and he's either in the process of re-upping with them or shopping elsewhere,  or if it's based on some other timeframe or output-based, or if this is due to some other occurrence we're not aware of....

In general, Universal has done a good job with Mike's output (except, of course, here in North America, as none of it is available at retail, except via iTunes or Amazon  :( ), and based on their work on his releases so far, I suspect they've done well with them. If they hadn't, I don't think they would have bothered releasing MOTR for Mike last year, which also did quite well. So not sure what's going on.......
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2015, 03:05

Give me some truth now, stop making me cry!
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 29 2015, 06:46

Good news 29 Jan 2016

Discovery Deluxe Edition
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2015, 03:25

Hm not much in the way of juicy gossip there but it's nice to have an ETA at least!
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2015, 16:05

Here are some details to "The 1984 Suite":

There's no concert recording this time :-(

"When Mike Oldfield sat down in his Nassau studio to mix Discovery and The Killing Fields into 5.1, he decided instead to sculpt something new from his output of 1984. Refashioning a B-side into ‘The Royal Mile’ and reworking Discovery track ‘Poison Arrows’ as ‘Zombies (Halloween Special),’ Oldfield created something that although incorporating previously available material, makes something new, and it was felt appropriate to release separately on vinyl with brand new artwork. As with all of Mike Oldfield’s critically acclaimed re-release programme, the notes include a new interview with Mike."

The track Zombies (Re-work of Poison Arrows) will be available from tomorrow October 31h on MO's official Facebook page.

These are the track lists of all releases:

Discovery Deluxe Edition

Disc 1

]1. To France
2. Poison Arrows
3. Crystal Gazing
4. Tricks of the light
5. Discovery
6. Talk About Your Life
7. Saved By a Bell
8. The Lake

Bonus tracks (not on single disc edition)

9. To France (extended version)*
10. In the Pool*
11. Bones*
12. Afghan**
13. Tricks of the Light (instrumental)**

* Taken from the “To France” 12 – inch single
** B – side of the “Tricks of the Light” 12

Disc 2

The 1984 Suite

To France
The Lake
The Killing Fields (Main theme)
Etude
The Royal Mile (Re-discovered track)
Zombies (Halloween Special )
Discovery

Disc 3 (DVD)

The 1984 Suite

To France
The Lake
The Killing Fields (Main theme)
Etude
The Royal Mile (Re-discovered track)
Zombies (Halloween Special ) -> newly-voiced Poison Arrows
Discovery
5.1 Surround Sound and Stereo Mixes by Mike Oldfield

Promotional videos:

To France
Tricks of the Light
Etude

The Killing Fields

1. Pran’s Theme
2. Requiem for a City
3. Evacuation
4. Pran’s Theme 2
5. Capture
6. Execution
7. Bad News
8. Pran’s Departure
9. Worksite
10. The Year Zero
11. Blood Sucking
12. The Year Zero 2
13. Pran’s Escape/The Killing Fields
14. The Trek
15. The Boy’s Burial/Pran Sees the Red Cross
16. Good News
17. Etude

Bonus tracks

Evacuation (single edit)
Etude (single edit)

Source:

Superdeluxeedition.com

Universal.com[/U][U][U]
Profile PM 
95 replies since June 23 2009, 16:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net