Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Discovery Deluxe, An Ultimate Edition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
First_Excursion Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 31 2015, 00:41

So two reworkings of old songs which we can hear for free. Could be fun. Newly voiced? I hope it's not Luke Spiller. :zzz: :p

As to the deluxe edition itself. Overall doesn't sound on the surface like much to get excited about. Sorry let me rephrase, doesn't sound like much we haven't already heard plenty of times - not compared to the idea of getting all the 'rejected' Killing Fields stuff anyway.

Then again the other recent remixes you have to admit have been novel whether you like them or not; and well worth buying the deluxe editions for IMO. Bring it on.  That tidbit from 'the Lake' we heard earlier on was pretty tantalising.

Would have liked some live stuff too myself but I guess Viareggio already covers that tour pretty well.
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2015, 04:35

Quote (First_Excursion @ Oct. 31 2015, 00:41)
As to the deluxe edition itself. Overall doesn't sound on the surface like much to get excited about.

Right ! I'm very disappointed and I'm missing a concert recording as well.
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2015, 05:51

Poor show…what a let down.
No live recordings or video>??? ( from a massive tour)
No full stereo remix of discovery.
no real unreleased tracks…
None of the 4 hours of Killing fields out takes….

what we do get is bizarre remix of poison arrow, which is really going to spoil the 1984 suite…

Shame...
Profile PM 
alejandra Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2015, 07:54

I have just heard the new track "Zombies" and the video of the same song. I'll try to be as objective as I can. This is very very disappointing. The only expression that comes to my mind is BAD TASTE. I don't think there are any redeeming features in the video or the new arrangement of Poison Arrows. Amateurish and infantile and not in a good sense.
Profile PM 
JTI Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2015, 09:10

I agree with you, Alejandra, on Zombies. Very disappointing and cheesy with the robot voice - I thought Kraftwerk were the only ones allowed to get away with that sort of thing :O

I think it's OK for a Halloween-only joke, but not something you'd put on the Deluxe Edition and have people pay to get. Poison Arrows deserves better treatment than that. Honestly, if you were going to spend time and money to redo it at all, you would have been better off stripping off the robot voice and lyrics completely and leave as an instrumental-only version. There would at least have been some merit to having that available.

Finger-pointing time....I can't believe Mike, who has a much better sense of humor than this, would have done or allowed this solely on his own, wondering if his management or operational team pushed him to it. Perhaps the lady whose last name sounds like a distant relative to that proverbial "Ape from Manilla"? (and maybe that explains why she's no longer on his team, who knows?)......Almost sounds like they brought in the dumb marketing team that came up with the stupid Drizzly online booze-at-your-door service name and logo......

I'm still glad they're putting out newly remastered versions of these two albums, albeit with what is sounding like some serious shortcomings on the bonus material side. That is assuming, of course, they don't botch up the sound of the original albums and singles/12inchers in the remaster, which I have enough faith based on the past remasters will be just fine (but I'll keep my fingers crossed, just in case ). I'll keep my judge and jury out till this all comes out in January and then give it its fair due.

When it's all said and done, though, I'm still grateful to Mike for all the music and for still being out there in spite of things that happen in life, which he's had a lot of this year in particular. Thanks to Milamber and stpaul for the news of the releases.
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2015, 09:11

Quote (alejandra @ Oct. 31 2015, 07:54)
I'll try to be as objective as I can. This is very very disappointing. The only expression that comes to my mind is BAD TASTE.

You're right !
MO is using Logic Pro X and creates a voice with a simple word to speech tool! There are so many ways to create or manipulate voices... Strange
Profile PM 
dobyblue Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2015, 14:19

So the blurb says - Newly remastered for 2016 and available in 1-CD, 180GM vinyl, digital and true HD editions.

What is the "True HD" edition?
Profile PM WEB 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2015, 17:58

The artwork for The 1984 Suite is by Rupert Lloyd.
https://twitter.com/blurbelgun/status/665164191435792384

Amongst the other work he's done for Universal was the teaser ad for TB in 2009.
http://www.diablopixels.com/

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2015, 04:39

I like the artwork for The 1984 Suite :)
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 29 2016, 19:38

My copy arrived this morning and I'm just listening to it now. What does everyone else think of it?
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2016, 04:24

Quote (Mat Cochrane @ Jan. 29 2016, 19:38)
What does everyone else think of it?

DELUXE ?

What's good ?
The sound (also on Killing Fields) was improved and in my opinion it's far better than the 2000 remasters (Virgin HDCD).

The 1984 Suite:
The new mixes of The Lake, To France, The Killing Fields (The Boy's Burial / Pran Sees The Red Cross), Etude and Discovery are really gorgeous an I like the new artwork.

What's bad ?
All in all Discovery and TKF are the worst editions of the re-release campaign so far !

Why?
The quality the artwork (not The 1984 Suite) is ambarrassing:
The reproduction of photographies and 7" covers is just crap. Besides there're no new photos and most of the photos featured in the old CD editions are missing !

It's shameless to call The Royal Mile, "a newly rediscovered track". By the way it's a bad edit of the original Afghan.

Again they included the strange "promo video" of To France. Now with a fade in and in bad quality ! I was expecting the original one that was produced in a movie set in Munich.

Last but not least: The absence of a concert recording is just unforgivable.
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2016, 10:53

Really pleased with new re-releases. Thanks Mike

Ps - can't understand complaints sometimes.
Above poster complained pre-release that there was no live recordings in this release. Then purchased it & complained there was no live recordings !!!???
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2016, 11:05

Quote (tarquincat @ Jan. 30 2016, 10:53)
Ps - can't understand complaints sometimes.
Above poster complained pre-release that there was no live recordings in this release. Then purchased it & complained there was no live recordings !!!???

I purchased it for The 1984 Suite. Although I bought it I don't have to like it.
Profile PM 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2016, 17:50

I have not received my new copy yet, but agree that it's a big pity that Mike decided not to include any live recordings, as a lot were made in 1984
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2016, 21:30

People missing the point.
They already knew there was no live material. So why buy and moan again ?
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2016, 07:13

Zombies is the worst thing I have heard for some time. I don't think I will have to say why. Just listen.

And isn't disc 2 pretty much the same old songs played in a different order? Like a playlist.

The sound is good though, and I love the original album.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
ESentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2016, 13:28

Quote (dazzler @ June 23 2009, 16:22)
DISCOVERY is one of my favourite Mike Oldfield albums.
I wondered how an ultimate rerelease of that album would look like.

Which bonus tracks should be on it?
Should we include lyrics, liner notes and some nice photographs?

TRACKLIST

To France
Poison Arrows
Crystal Gazing
Tricks of the Light
Discovery
Talk about Your Life
Saved by a Bell
The Lake

To France (extended)
In the Pool
Tricks of the Light (instrumental)
Afghan
Pictures in the Dark (full)
Legend

I would leave out Bones and The Trap.
Two more experimental tracks that refer more
to The Killing Fields in my opinion than to Discovery.

I'm amazed at how close the original poster got to the deluxe album final tracklist!  :O

Anyway, I find the extra tracks repetitive and most of them don't add anything extra to the experience of the original album except for In The Pool and Afghan.

Zombies and Tricks Of The Light (Instrumental) are a huge facepalm. I'd have liked them to be real instrumental tracks rather than have on the first one a computer singing and on the other one an electric child organ ruining the mix...

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive so I have no words on the 5.1 mix yet but I guess it has to be pretty good. However, in stereo it's very disappointing so I ended up cancelling my order of The 1984 Suite on vinyl. :/
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2016, 01:02

Quote (Mat Cochrane @ Jan. 29 2016, 19:38)
What does everyone else think of it?

Largely underwhelmed.
Profile PM 
Acidecitrique Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2016, 01:42

I was really expecting the 1984 Suite would be something totally different, I don't really see the importance of releasing such a musical piece, on the other side I would have prefered to have a live album like on the previous remastered albums...  Now on a positive side, I am very happy to get the Deluxe version of Discovery, that is such a classic album!
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2016, 11:30

The 5.1 mix is underwelming !!!!
1984 Suite is such a waste of time
re my earlier post on Olivers Discovery post
Profile PM 
95 replies since June 23 2009, 16:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net