Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Discovery - Saved By A Bell< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ThetaWave Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 23 2001, 18:45

Hi Pplz,

Unfortunately I'm not a native English speaker, and my dictionary gives me no clues what

"Saved by a bell"

acually means. It seems clear to me that it must be some sort of phrase or insinuation about something, but I have absolutely no clue and it's meaning is completely unknown to me.

I would really appreciate someone explaining that to me!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2001, 19:39

Hi and welcome here, Theta.

There are two possibilities for the meaning of "Saved by a bell". They are both contained in this site's FAQ, from which I am quoting below. Hope these explanations are useful.

One possibility is that the line "Saved by a bell" refers to Mike's career fortunes being turned around by the success of Tubular Bells. From that, we could infer that the "suffer in hell/but you were too blind to tell" couplet is a reference to the mental problems that his success exacerbated [i.e. made worse], and the fact that he was in a kind of denial about them until forced to confront them - and the fact that he did successfully confront them is covered by "But you made it through so well".

Another possibility: that "Saved By A Bell" is Mike having a rant at Richard Branson [Virgin head]. Hearing it and reading the lyrics, it makes perfect sense. Particularly since the lyrics talk about constellations etc., but don't include "Taurus" (Mike is a Taurus). Then of course the Chorus is pretty overt: "Saved by a bell, suffer in hell"...

If you have trouble understanding these explanations, please write to me personally and tell me what you can't understand.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
ThetaWave Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2001, 14:12

Thanks, Ugo!

I think this explanation makes perfectly sense, and I think I prefer the second variant - because it also explains the references to the signs of zodiac.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2002, 15:32

i've got a question about this song... could be only a nonsense.... but somebody told me long ago that mike wrote the lyrics based on what he felt while looking through the telescope richard branson had given to him as a present. is that true?
if this were true maybe he rewrote the chorus after ranting with branson  :/
cheers

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2002, 18:24

OT: Wasn't also the Bee Gee Robin Gibb "Saved by a bell" at least once in his career?  :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2020, 12:34

"Shining like bright diamonds the galaxies...
Jupiter and Saturn spin by......"

Tonight that's really true   ;)  :)

But unfortunately I can only watch it on youtube, because outside it's raining....    :/

--------------
"...but every while I would remember..."
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2020, 20:47

Yes, I saw Jupe and Sat feeling each other up last night  :D
Profile PM 
6 replies since Jan. 23 2001, 18:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net