Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Digital single 'Spheres' out March 3rd< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Martina Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 06 2008, 07:20

Well, I like it. If it's one of the early ideas for the album, it sounds very promising. But Mike should really forget the TB theme once for all!  :/
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2008, 07:40

Quote (Martina @ Mar. 06 2008, 13:20)
But Mike should really forget the TB theme once for all!  :/

No, he shouldn't. Mike is that theme. If he forgets it, he's not Mike anymore. He's one of the crowd. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Martina Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2008, 09:12

Mike is that theme

Alright, maybe he is. :)

TB was a revelation in 1973 and will ever be his signature. But I can't stand those anti-oldfield nitwits saying something like that this is the only melody he can play. In 1970's he produced music pieces that had no resemblances of each other, though they were 100% oldfield music IMHO. :cool: When he later started revisiting TB (probably with wise Virgin's advice...) it was still quite decent. In Amarok there's a pleasant piece of TB-like melody that perfectly balances the preceding furious musical storm where one theme promptly replaces other. Hence it's not definitely bad idea to reuse the old stuff and I'm certain he can do that the right way.

If he forgets it, he's not Mike anymore. He's one of the crowd.

That's also why I really can't understand why he did enjoy making that electronic/dance-kind of music recently - I think this is the music that almost everyone can do, just having some software installed on their comuters. Fortunately Mike always added some of his unmistakable flavours into that stuff. :p

So, if MOTS will not be backed by TB for all its duration, I'm not against. He's the composer, after all.  :)
Profile PM 
ProjectZ Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2008, 10:41

I want to hear "Spheres" but it is still not available on the Belgian iTunes!!! :(
Probably the same will happen to the live recording :(

--------------
the VANGELIS forum : Invisible Connections ( http://www.vangelis.fr/ )
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2008, 12:13

Quote (Tubularman @ Mar. 03 2008, 04:45)

Finally now i have the track.
I think i like it very much. The beginning is weird but i now it is ok. I really like how the track goes on. Lovely demo :)

So it's available in Norway too, or did you find a torrent?
I can't find it here so I haven't been able to purchase. Could go for a torrent though, just until it's available from a digital retailer. Just can't wait you know. :/
Profile PM 
Martina Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2008, 14:16

I've downloaded it from MSN music UK (for 0.75p). And I'm not from the UK.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 06 2008, 15:20

Quote (Harmono @ Mar. 06 2008, 18:13)
Quote (Tubularman @ Mar. 03 2008, 04:45)

Finally now i have the track.
I think i like it very much. The beginning is weird but i now it is ok. I really like how the track goes on. Lovely demo :)

So it's available in Norway too, or did you find a torrent?
I can't find it here so I haven't been able to purchase. Could go for a torrent though, just until it's available from a digital retailer. Just can't wait you know. :/

no a danish friend gave me the single :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Burning Fish Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2008, 16:44

Quote (Martina @ Mar. 06 2008, 20:16)
I've downloaded it from MSN music UK (for 0.75p). And I'm not from the UK.

That worked for me! And it supports PayPal so a creditcard is not required. Thanks for the tip! :)

--------------
"Lemon curry?"
Profile PM WEB 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2008, 18:00

Being one of those people that haven't heard MOTS yet I was rather interested in listening to this.  So I handed over my 75p and came away with the goods.
And I'm liking.  Yes, I see the Tubular Bells reference, but I don't see it as a bad thing.

Quite of the awesome.
:)
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2008, 21:27

I'm in Singapore and got it through 7digital using PayPal (it did ask if I was from UK, which I am originally, so I was not being dishonest). :laugh:

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 00:34

Aaaaaah! Finally I've heard it. I created a paypal account but msn UK said the service isn't available in my country. Then I downloaded itunes, that didn't help. Then I tried Napster and Tiscali - no succes. I have to admit that at that point I had become "slightly" pissed off and was about to give up. Then I read timshen's post, tried 7digital with paypal and voila! Hooooraaay!

I still think the beginning sounds a bit too "busy", but on the whole the track is very good. The guitar sounds super and the wonderful percussion parts are quite a surprising twist after having listened to the promo copy for the past few months.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 09:34

Quote (Harmono @ Mar. 07 2008, 05:34)
Aaaaaah! Finally I've heard it. I created a paypal account but msn UK said the service isn't available in my country. Then I downloaded itunes, that didn't help. Then I tried Napster and Tiscali - no succes. I have to admit that at that point I had become "slightly" pissed off and was about to give up. Then I read timshen's post, tried 7digital with paypal and voila! Hooooraaay!

I still think the beginning sounds a bit too "busy", but on the whole the track is very good. The guitar sounds super and the wonderful percussion parts are quite a surprising twist after having listened to the promo copy for the past few months.

Yes that is what i thought.

Ray  :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 15:10

So... after finally having got this... from 7digital, thanx Timshen for the tip :)... let me make up my mind on what to say about it, as it's not very easy for me to describe what I think about it...

- Overall, it's a very, very good piece of work. I think t works well for what it's supposed to be (a presentation of the MotS album), but it wouldn't be really good if people got the wrong impression from it... i.e. that MotS is going to contain strong electronic-based beats. As far as I've heard on the promo copy, it doesn't. :) Obviously I've got no means of knowing whether there will be any strong beats on the final release...

- There are a few things I don't really like on this, mainly related to the presence of electronic/synthesized stuff in what should, all in all, be a classical piece of music... or is it not supposed to be classical music? :D However, the strings at the very beginning up to 1:51 sound very synthetic, while the choir definitely sounds very real. [By the way, I hear what sounds like a very slight skip at 1:35. Is it a flaw on my file, or is it really like this?] If this, as I've read, pre-dates Karl Jenkins' involvement in MotS, then the synthetized strings are justifiable, but how did Mike get hold of the full choir? [And who 'wrote' the lyrics? :)] Also on the subject of synthetized stuff, the 'airy' keyboard pad  starting on 1:51 here, and first heard on TBIII, gives me a weird impression of "What's this doing here?" - as it's clearly perceivable as electronic - but at the same time it sounds nice as a background part to Mike's guitar. So... 50/50. :)

Continued below, as I've run out of allowed smilies...

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 15:28

- The very start doesn't sound to me too 'busy' or 'confused', as it's been mentioned here. After all, the choir and the string part are in the same key. Also, on Shabda, the only thing playing under the choir is a 'fixed' (i.e. not moving) string pad, so I think you may put whatever you like under the choir, and it doesn't suffer. :) What somehow doesn't get to me in this bit is, as I've mentioned above, the fusion of a real element (the choir) with a non-real one (the strings). It almost sounds like it's been glued on top of it, and that the glue has yet to solidify... :D

- Mike's guitar playing here is great, maybe even better than on MotS itself. Maybe it's because the guitar here has been slightly processed through some effects? :p

- I quite like the new rendition of Shabda "with a beat" - I think the programmed drums propel the tune along very well. There's a keyboard part with a very noticeable pitch-bend under it. Once again I'm kind-of wondering what the heck is all this doing in a 'classical' single, but, once again, I'm not sure whether this is really 'classical' or not...

To sum it all up, I'm giving this a very high mark - 8/10. I'm a junior-grade teacher, you see... ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 15:28

Quote (Ray @ Mar. 07 2008, 16:34)
Quote (Harmono @ Mar. 07 2008, 05:34)

Yes that is what i thought.

Ray  :cool:

Goooood. It's good you guys thought it out loud. :)
Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 16:44

In Sweden its not possible to buy the tune och iTunes :( Why?????

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
Burning Fish Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2008, 03:39

Like I said, I got my version from MSN Music UK. I always notice a slight "skip" at 1:33. Anyone else have that too?

--------------
"Lemon curry?"
Profile PM WEB 
Tommy139 Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2008, 04:57

Quote (Burning Fish @ Mar. 08 2008, 08:39)
Like I said, I got my version from MSN Music UK. I always notice a slight "skip" at 1:33. Anyone else have that too?

Downloaded mine from iTunes and I cant notice any skip at 1.33
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2008, 07:34

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 07 2008, 15:10)
- There are a few things I don't really like on this, mainly related to the presence of electronic/synthesized stuff in what should, all in all, be a classical piece of music... or is it not supposed to be classical music?

I think 'spheres' should be seen for what it is too; a demo. It has electronic and synthesized elements because he was just putting ideas down. I'm pretty sure all the sounds except the guitar are from computer software, even the choir!!

From the info we've been given I think we can safely conclude that MOTS will indeed be entirely classical.
Profile PM WEB 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2008, 08:21

Quote (Burning Fish @ Mar. 08 2008, 08:39)

I got mine from MSN music and I've noticed the skip.  It's really faint though.  I only picked up on it when I was listening through my earphones cause they're far better than my tiny laptop speakers.
Profile PM 
97 replies since Feb. 26 2008, 15:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net