Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Digital single 'Spheres' out March 3rd< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hairy old hippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 28 2008, 04:56

I agree conny, I picked up an LP of Platinum recently and it sounded immense. I know what you mean by real, when you listen to an LP it just feels like the music is really happening and your right there, sort of like it's live.

Maybe they should think about melting down all those old 'top of the pops' and James Last LPs that are clogging up the charity shops to make new 'music of the spheres' LPs!
Profile PM WEB 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2008, 06:22

I like the Old Plastic as well... But it only suits in practical terms Long Play Sides like TB1 Ommadawn Hergest Ridge.. The Down Side is its so dam Fiddly  Worrying bout whether Your Stylus needs Replacing, Flipping the Record Over,not being able to Skip Tks Easily You dont Like etc etc..Yeah I still use mine for records I have you cannt get on CD or cannt be bothered replacing, otherwise the cd and Remote still wins the war..  never Had a issue with MP3 Quality mostly .. my Dog might but I dont  lol.. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2008, 06:37

Alan is not alone! I too am rather dissapointed with the fact that cd singles will vanish slowly from the earth. (right now I'm collecting all singles I do not have of Oldfield yet). Yes yes, I probably love objects and artwork too. ;)

Although I do agree with Korgie that this not the sort of thing that would stand out if it's released on cd single. This sort of thing would have been put on cd single promo's in the old days (oh my god, I sound old), but digital compressed formats are popular now (unfortunately). But I guess you have to find ways to make money.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Feb. 28 2008, 06:51

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Feb. 28 2008, 12:37)
Although I do agree with Korgie that this not the sort of thing that would stand out if it's released on cd single. This sort of thing would have been put on cd single promo's in the old days (oh my god, I sound old), but digital compressed formats are popular now (unfortunately). But I guess you have to find ways to make money.

Yes, because a demo would not work as single. I really don't understand the fuzz about this. Im just glad there is something x-tra. I guess this melody will appear on a later collection cd anyway.  ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2008, 19:02

I wonder what the melody will be like? Obviously we'll hear a resemblence to the stuff on Music of the Spheres but i wonder what theme it will be like?  I've got a feeling it will resemble the motif which plays at the end of Harbinger and reprises at the end of the Tempest.  Hopefully it does because i think that theme deserves to be explored further.
Profile PM 
BTH Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Feb. 29 2008, 09:10

Wow Jerome 64kbps - that's pretty low quality! I personally can't stand anything below 190 - Ive been going back re-ripping at 256 all the cd's I did at 128 a few years ago. They take up more space but with good headphones I can really hear a big difference...

--------------
Tá mé an amadán ag cheoil...
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Feb. 29 2008, 09:40

Yes, 256 is nice but it still is compression. I'd rather listen to a uncompressed cd.  :cool:

Although, something which also has to do with mp3's (but also happens with remastered cds), and which is a rather sad development these days: the loudness wars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_wars

http://www.rollingstone.com/news....idelity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7t40xBpqfE&feature=related

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Feb. 29 2008, 12:27

Blue Dolphin,

Yeah I think this is a real problem. Music is getting less dynamic as a result. For example if you looked at a wave file of Ommadawn I'm sure you'll see lots of peaks and troffs. This is beacuse the music is dynamic, the quiet bits are actaully quiet so when a loud bit kicks in you really feel it.

The tendancy these days is to have everything at the same level, this is boring!!! When a piece of music is dynamic it sounds real because the fluctuating volume and feel in the playing has not been tampered with and so it IS real.
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2008, 09:29

Exactly! And less dynamic music makes you feel tired.

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
roys1 Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2008, 10:26

Try this link for a one minute preview http://www.7digital.com/artists/mike-oldfield-(1)/ and press the small blue arrow..
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 01 2008, 11:08

Quote (roys1 @ Mar. 01 2008, 15:26)
Try this link for a one minute preview http://www.7digital.com/artists/mike-oldfield-(1)/ and press the small blue arrow..

Well found!

Wonder where the vocals came from? It was suggested that this is just Mikes own work. Doesn't sound like vocaloid to me!

I'll be interested to hear on Monday where the remaining 4 minutes head...

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2008, 11:37

Shabda mixed with Harbringer,and some orchestral sounds...dunno if it really comes from before the involvement of the orchestra...dunno...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
conny_a Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2008, 13:55

Quote (hairy old hippy @ Feb. 28 2008, 04:56)
I agree conny, I picked up an LP of Platinum recently and it sounded immense. I know what you mean by real, when you listen to an LP it just feels like the music is really happening and your right there, sort of like it's live.

Maybe they should think about melting down all those old 'top of the pops' and James Last LPs that are clogging up the charity shops to make new 'music of the spheres' LPs!

Even though Mike said that he wasn't satisfied with the original TB due to distortion and 50Hz hum, I think the sound is really great. The SACD may come close to the LP, but I enjoy listening to the LP more.

Oh well, let's hope Mike reads the forum and makes a few LP:s of MOTS.  :p
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2008, 07:12

You can now buy Spheres from Itunes now.  I'm listening to it as i type this.
Profile PM 
Burning Fish Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2008, 11:31

Yes, it seems to be available in the UK iTunes-store. It's still not listed in the Dutch store. I also couldn't find it in the US store (yet!;).

--------------
"Lemon curry?"
Profile PM WEB 
Tommy139 Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2008, 12:24

This is available on iTunes today... Sunday
Profile PM 
Tommy139 Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2008, 12:27

Quote (Chicular @ Mar. 02 2008, 12:12)

Sorry... Helps if i actually read previous posts  :zzz:
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2008, 14:15

Quote (Chicular @ Mar. 02 2008, 14:12)

Is it any good? I listened that snippet at http://www.7digital.com/artists/mike-oldfield-(1)/ and it sounded err.. weird. I mean that Shabda and Harbinger are kind of incompatible, disordered when mixed, at least to my ears.
Does it get better?
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2008, 14:29

The sample sounds even more Oldfieldish than the Album does .. I like it lots ! even though the TB influence is more prominent .... The Shabda vocals work great with the TB intro ! ... very ethereal  :D
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2008, 14:33

At the beginning, it sounds like Shabda and Harbinger mixed together, later you hear the keyboards take a more prominent role. Nothing special on first listening.

Bear in mind, I thought pretty much the same thing about the full album, which I now love  :D
Profile PM 
97 replies since Feb. 26 2008, 15:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net