Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Digital single 'Spheres' out March 3rd< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 15:35

One of Mike's initial demo recordings for Music of the Spheres will be released next week, on March 3rd, as a download-only 'digital single'.

The news item on mikeoldfield.com says that the track, called Spheres, "was the initial piece of music Mike recorded when conceiving the idea for this album and it doesn't feature the involvement of Karl Jenkins or any other musicians."

It will be available 'from all good digital retailers'.

Update March 1 - You can hear a one minute preview of the track at 7digital.com (just click the blue play button).

Update March 2 - UK iTunes users can buy 'Spheres' right now on the iTunes music store!

Update March 4 - You can buy on 7digital, iTunes, msn, napster, tiscali.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 15:44

Quote (Korgscrew @ Feb. 26 2008, 20:35)
as a download-only 'digital single'.

Not another one!!! A 'download-only digital single' makes cold rice pudding seem positively spine-tingling.

(Have you ever had the feeling that the world is marching on somewhere you don't want to go?)
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 15:51

Quote (Alan D @ Feb. 26 2008, 20:44)
Quote (Korgscrew @ Feb. 26 2008, 20:35)
as a download-only 'digital single'.

Not another one!!! A 'download-only digital single' makes cold rice pudding seem positively spine-tingling.

(Have you ever had the feeling that the world is marching on somewhere you don't want to go?)

Anyone got the neccesary equipment to produce a cylinder phonograph for poor Alan?  :p

Me, I'm just excited at the opportunity to hear the sort of things Mike had in mind early on in the project. 32 Kb per second mp3 or whatever!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 16:04

Quote (Matt @ Feb. 26 2008, 20:51)
Anyone got the neccesary equipment to produce a cylinder phonograph for poor Alan?

Ooh. Since you mention it - a gold-plated one would be nice.

But no, not really. An attractively designed CD will suit me just as well. I just like objects; and I suppose I can't (don't want to?) shake free from the era of physical media.
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 17:11

Isn't this the sort of announcement that should be whizzing its way to my mobile phone now that I've registered for SMS updates from www.mikeoldfield.com?

[Clotty checks his phone]

DOH! Seemingly not - so Tubular.net remains number 1 for Oldfield announcements.

Remember, you heard it here first! ;-)

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 17:12

Quote (Alan D @ Feb. 26 2008, 21:04)
[/quote]
But no, not really. An attractively designed CD will suit me just as well. I just like objects; and I suppose I can't (don't want to?) shake free from the era of physical media.

I agree the music business is going down a road I'd rather it didn't, but that's the way it's going. At least albums are released physically - for now at least.

Singles and rarites being released at all is better than nothing being released - as was the case for years. If downloads mean rarities are cost effective to release, then I'll gladly agree.

I do miss Mike 12" picture sleeves though.  :)
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 17:36

wow, i really had a wish for this. To hear the demo of this.
Great and suprising!
maybe this will appear on the special edition people ;) We never know.

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 18:06

I think to be honest, this is probably something that wouldn't be terribly cost effective to release as a single. From the description, I get the impression that it's probably the sort of thing that only a completist is going to want. I think it's one of the things that Mike mocked up with orchestral samples, the sound of which probably isn't going to appeal greatly to the general classical music buyer...it's fascinating for a relatively small number of hardcore fans, though. Not having to do a run of physical copies suddenly makes it much easier for them to bring things like this out.

I actually bet the main reason for it is them signing promotion deals with online retailers - they put the album on their recommended picks lists in exchange for some exclusive content.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 18:16

I can't make up my mind on this one. A slightly bigger part of me is disappointed because, like Alan & Ebony & Pat, I really am sad that music, or at least, our personal connection to it, is moving away from the physical. ( why is that, when 'music' is not actually a three dimensional thing to hold, that we want it to be? that's a very recent relationship with it, if anything digitising it, or making it disappear, is more like music itself, copying almost it's transient nature...we hear it only for as long as it plays then it's gone, and that's always been one of it's mysterious qualities ) I love all the design, thought and artwork that goes into the covers, I prefer Vinyls for this if I am honest. It seemed the most natural thing in the world to hold an album cover and study it when listening to music as I was growing up. Still does.

But. But, I love my ipod. The other part of me quite enjoys the convenience of this sort of music enjoyment. I have carefully selected music from my CD collection, thirty or so years worth now  :O , and put it on my ipod. I will admit to downloading odd tracks without having them on CD, but it's not the norm for me. So I will download this enticing track, and eagerly await the arrival of the as yet for me, unheard album, later on. 3rd March is also a bit of a special day for me for other reasons, so I have to do it!!

? Maybe they're all just testing the water, checking out the response, & will adjust their marketing accordingly, although that would be a bit late in the day?

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 19:11

I'm sure that if Alan wants some artwork, Kay could produce something for him  ;)

Oh the good old days of putting the album covers up on my bedroom wall, ELO's "Out of the Blue", "War of the Worlds", "5MO" inner artwork.. sigh....

But I'm looking forward to the demo/single, interested in the thought and production processes Mike has. Also, quite pleased this hasn't been "leaked".

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 20:04

I bet it's the Tubular Bells theme. ;)
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 21:13

Sounds quite promissing to hear what was on Mike's mind before getting the final product :D

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2008, 22:49

This sort of thing should be a bonus track on the CD in my humble ...
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2008, 03:16

Quote (trcanberra @ Feb. 26 2008, 22:49)
This sort of thing should be a bonus track on the CD in my humble ...

Yes probably !! as a little Tempter ...   Mind you Maybe MO thinks its not good enough or it just would spoil the effect of the total piece...   Bit like having "Blue Peter" nailed on the back of TB1 or such  ..it might not work..  Wonder how long this Tk is  ??  Im still going to wait till the Album is out then Backtrack to this later I think..!! :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2008, 04:13

Quote (olracUK @ Feb. 27 2008, 00:11)
Oh the good old days of putting the album covers up on my bedroom wall, ELO's "Out of the Blue", "War of the Worlds", "5MO" inner artwork.. sigh....

Hey olrac,

Your post took me back to my teenage years living wqith my mum and dad. My bedroom walls were decked with album and single covers, mainly Mikes and Marillions. I also had a few bill posters (very large at that) on my ceiling. I remember waiting for the men to paste them onto a billboard hoarding and then roping a few mates in to help take them down, still wet with paste!! avoiding the police was the hard bit. I had FMO, Crises and Fugazi by Marillion.

What days!!!

I'm also with Alan on this one, i'm one of the few who technology seems to have passed by.

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2008, 06:38

Personally I think this is great. The fans get hold of something that would otherwise be a rareity. In the old days this would have been slapped on a bootleg CD and overpriced at record fairs if made available at all.

In terms of having something solid to grab hold of, well we're getting the cd in a few weeks anyway. I think the record companies are moving away gradually from solid items but this is a natural evolution, they have to follow popular media or they go under.

To be honest shouldn't we all be moving away from the consumerist notion of solid objects anyway. The production of cds and records etc has a high eco-footprint relative to downloads. I think trying to live within the means of the planet is far more important than having a cd or record cos it comes with nice artwork.
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 27 2008, 06:57

Quote (hairy old hippy @ Feb. 27 2008, 11:38)
To be honest shouldn't we all be moving away from the consumerist notion of solid objects anyway. The production of cds and records etc has a high eco-footprint relative to downloads. I think trying to live within the means of the planet is far more important than having a cd or record cos it comes with nice artwork.

Hairy old hippy living up to your username here  :D

I wondered if you were right about footprint and did a quick web search. this article from the Guardian makes an interesting read suggesting that, so long as you don't burn your own CD, it is more eco-friendly to download.

Me, I do prefer a physical item as well but, as various people have mentioned, this track would probably not have seen the light of day except for the cheap and simple (from the distributors point of view) option of making it available to download.

Bring it on!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2008, 07:35

Thanks Matt, that's are very insightful article. Some good points worth thinking about. If only there was an mp3 player that lasted forever and had unlimited memory!!

Matt, further thanks for that article, I've just cited it as a reference in an essay I'm writing for a course I'm taking at university.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2008, 08:16

Quote (hairy old hippy @ Feb. 27 2008, 13:35)
If only there was an mp3 player that lasted forever and had unlimited memory!!

Well, take a 160 GB ipod, re-encode your music to a smaller rate (64 kbps is enough to my human ears), you have room for a LOT of music.

The physical item (CD, whatever) doesn't stay long in my hands before going into electronic support, the artwork is being looked a few times and then goes back in his box, almost forever.

Viva mp3 !

I like the idea of this "single" release, though I don't think that something that sounds more like a demo (re the text of the info) deserves the title of "single".

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
conny_a Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2008, 17:13

I was really disappointed that this is just a digital download - but maybe I'll download it anyway - just to give it a listen.

We all have different preferences ... mp3:s just don't exist for me when it comes to MO. Although I have made some CD:s with mp3:s for my car, the sound is miles away from what a good mastered CD can give. A newly born interest in good old LP:s has brought the 70's MO to life - the recordings are just so real - and much better than the CD:s. The CD medium is just not enough for our ears and brain!

Hopefully Spheres will be released on SACD or something better (LP).
Profile PM 
97 replies since Feb. 26 2008, 15:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net