Joined: April 2000
||Posted: June 08 2001, 20:09
Hi. This message is aimed to all forum members (and non-members) who have The Complete on vinyl LP.
The excerpt from Tubular Bells, on Side Three of my LP, sounds noticeably different from what TB sounds like in ALL its other released versions. The main and most hearable differences are as follows:
1) Right at the beginning of the excerpt (which starts at what the Amarok Player Tracklist calls Eventide --> Red Dawn in TB2, and finishes by fading out on the choir, shortly before the final arpeggio), an electric guitar is heard on the left channel, playing some notes which make up a countermelody to the acoustic guitar. This countermelody is not heard in ANY other version of TB.
2) At the third repetition of the "Bell" ostinato riff, in the "common" TB an organ is heard. On my TC album there's no organ, the overall volume of the riff is noticeably lower and there are no crescendos.
3) The Reed and Pipe Organ sounds VERY different from what we are used to hear. On the version I have, it sounds blurred, indistinct, and even the melody is kind-of confused, swelled up in this blurred sound...it sounds more like a toy Bontempi organ than the Farfisa listed on the cover. On the "common" TB, this Reed & Pipe Organ part is much clearer and the melody is very distinguishable from the surrounding sound. This does not happen on my LP version.
4) The Glockenspiel starts on the right-hand channel and stays there all the way through.
5) The Girlie Chorus enters together with the bells and not afterwards, i.e. as soon as Mike bangs out the first E on his TB, Mundy and Sally sing "oooooooooooohhhhhh" under that note...it's a funny effect.
6) Even the TB part in itself is different. There are several added chimes, lower in volume than the main notes on the melody. These chimings are mostly higher E's.
So, what I'd like to ask to all of you is:
1) Are these differences heard on other versions of The Complete LP, or do I own a rare item?
2) Why would the guys at Virgin place a different version of TB on the vinyl album, then "forgetting" to put it also on the CD?
3) Where the heck does this version come from??? Not from Boxed, I think... I know that the Boxed mix is different from the original TB, but Simon Heyworth just does not seem the kind of guy who'd dare to replace a good recording with a blurred-sounding one (I'm always talking about the Reed & Pipe Organ), just to make the mix "different" from the original.
Take your time to answer...I can wait.
P.S.: The Hergest Ridge excerpt featured on my LP is clearly taken from the ORIGINAL mix of HR and not from Mike's Boxed remix. So... do I really own a rarity or not?
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian