Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Did Mike Oldfield Copy "I'm a Little Teapot"?, In Taurus II< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 11 2022, 19:47

In Taurus II from Five Miles Out, starting at 12:41, the melody that comes in and is sustained for the next part of the song, going from xylophone to Uilleann pipes, sounds remarkably similar to the tune of "I'm a little teapot short and stout, here is may handle here is my spout".  

Has anyone else noticed that?
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 12 2022, 12:56

Quote (Sentinel_NZ @ July 11 2022, 19:47)
In Taurus II from Five Miles Out, starting at 12:41, the melody that comes in and is sustained for the next part of the song, going from xylophone to Uilleann pipes, sounds remarkably similar to the tune of "I'm a little teapot short and stout, here is may handle here is my spout".  

I have not noticed (it's not a common children's song where I live).
I gave it a listen, and I think it's similar, but by no means copied.

But when I was a kid and got to hear TB for the first time, I thought he had ripped of the negro spiritual "Josua fought the battle of Jericho" (which we had sung in the school choir).

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: July 12 2022, 14:17

Quote (larstangmark @ July 12 2022, 12:56)
Quote (Sentinel_NZ @ July 11 2022, 19:47)

I have not noticed (it's not a common children's song where I live).
I gave it a listen, and I think it's similar, but by no means copied.

But when I was a kid and got to hear TB for the first time, I thought he had ripped of the negro spiritual "Josua fought the battle of Jericho" (which we had sung in the school choir).

Yeah youre right, the "Exorcist theme" does indeed sound a bit like "Joshua Fought the Battle of Jericho".  And when I say "copied" I am being a bit tongue in cheek, I don't mean literally copied, something like may not even be consciously intentional.
Profile PM 
2 replies since July 11 2022, 19:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net