Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Did Mike Oldfield Copy Electric Light Orchestra?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 10 2022, 02:27

The title makes it sound like a dramatic story but it's not really, but compare the cover of ELO's "Time" from 1981 with Oldfield's "Crises" from 1983.

That CANNOT be a coincidence!  To make matters worse, ELO's 1979 album is called "Discovery" and Mike Oldfield's 1984 album is also called "Discovery".
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 18 2022, 22:05

Quote (Sentinel_NZ @ June 10 2022, 07:27)
The title makes it sound like a dramatic story but it's not really, but compare the cover of ELO's "Time" from 1981 with Oldfield's "Crises" from 1983.

That CANNOT be a coincidence!  To make matters worse, ELO's 1979 album is called "Discovery" and Mike Oldfield's 1984 album is also called "Discovery".

Mike Oldfield didn't paint the picture - the painting was where the name came from, apparently (It was called Sea of Crises according to an interview with LBC in 1983).

You could probably search using an image algorithm and find many more albums from a painting (or something looking like a painting) with a feature in the middle: it's a good aesthetic choice for the square shape of an vinyl or CD cover.

Daft Punk and Born of Osiris also did albums called Discovery, they weren't copying ELO either.
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: June 19 2022, 21:10

I've seen a painting which I have to think must have been an inspiration to Terry Ilott as it's very similar in composition and tone to his Sea of Crises but I can't find it now. Recently lost all my bookmarks.

Think this one by René Magritte probably seems familiar to most of us:

Trevor Key generally made no secret of his influences:

Pinched that from here, it wouldn't let me direct link the image...

Allusion to Visual Arts in Prog
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: June 19 2022, 23:32

Good find on the Magritte; I haven't actually seen that painting before. funnily enough, it bears more than a passing resemblance to the Incantations cover as well. And the Box Set and the MC Escher (I think that's MC Escher) is a very good match, surely the inspiration behind the Boxed cover.  Thanks for pointing those out :)
Profile PM 
3 replies since June 10 2022, 02:27 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net