Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Did Mike get this from King Crimson?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ian Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 20 2007, 19:27

There is a really nice track by King Crimson called Epitaph that sounds so much like Mike's later track No Man's Land from Tres Lunas. The guitar is exactly like Mikes as well as the melody. Was Mike subconsiously inspired by this 1969 classic?
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 28 2009, 12:44

Old thread,but what the hey!

There are similarities there certainly.Plus I know Mike picked "In The Court Of The Crimson King" as one of his all time favourite albums once...Soooo yeah "subconsciously inspired" is a nice way of putting it I think.

Epitaph.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 28 2009, 20:22

"In the Court of the Crimson King" was one of my favourite records once, but I became sick of it. It reminded me too much of the Moody Blues, who were always too pasteurized, homogenized, and altogether processed for mass consumption for my taste.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 28 2009, 22:27

AFAIK,Mike used to have In The Court of the Crimson King LP at home...I think he likes KC...so...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 28 2009, 22:49

On the subject of similarities, the guitar riffs towards the end of "Taurus 2" are very much like those in "Pipeline Sequence", one of the tracks on the soundtrack to the 1972 surf movie Five Summer Stories. Lord knows whether MO is familiar with this music, although it is very good.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 29 2009, 04:12

Except for Court of the Crimson King, I never cared for King Crimson. Just my taste. And that song, while very good was POORLY recorded. Just who set the mixer levels, I'd like to know? So overdriven. Hence I'm over here on Oldfield's side, we're ready to rumble, bring it on.....
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: July 29 2009, 09:12

I find only the intro clearly reminiscent of TAIH, but it is very noticeable, though. Maybe it was Mike's inspiration for the track, concious or not.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 30 2009, 11:47

I don't think the chord sequence from Epitaph is that unusual and I'm sure there are many tracks out there that is similar to it.

I love King Crimson, but I think their first LP is a bit overrated. Try Lizard, Islands or Red for some really mind-blowing stuff. The first LP has been hyped by journalists because it has been influental (which it has!), but I think it sounds more like a collection of prog rock clichés.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 30 2009, 20:50

Quote (larstangmark @ July 30 2009, 11:47)
I love King Crimson, but I think their first LP is a bit overrated. Try Lizard, Islands or Red for some really mind-blowing stuff. The first LP has been hyped by journalists because it has been influental (which it has!;), but I think it sounds more like a collection of prog rock clichés.

I always thought Islands was their best.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 30 2009, 21:19

I like Discipline a lot,really.Great album.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 31 2009, 09:08

Quote (larstangmark @ July 30 2009, 11:47)
I love King Crimson, but I think their first LP is a bit overrated. Try Lizard, Islands or Red for some really mind-blowing stuff. The first LP has been hyped by journalists because it has been influental (which it has!;), but I think it sounds more like a collection of prog rock clichés.

Well, they are clichés now that everyone has used them. :)
By the way, the only real fault I see in that record is Moonchild -- that instrumental work is too limp and unfocused to sound truly engaging. The other four tracks are tops, however.

By favourite King Crimson record is, by a country mile, Larks' Tongues in Aspic, no doubt about it.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 31 2009, 19:38

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ July 31 2009, 09:08)
By favourite King Crimson record is, by a country mile, Larks' Tongues in Aspic, no doubt about it.

Phooey to the fact that it sounds completely unlike the albums that preceded it, I say.... In fact, if anyone is tempted to buy LTiA without listening to it first, it's a tiresomely noisy album - and noisy in an un-fun way. You have been warned.
Profile PM 
11 replies since Dec. 20 2007, 19:27 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net